Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,460 times

Advertisements

I'm a tall woman (between 5'11" - 6'). My fiance is 5'8", which I believe is about average for a man. He treats me like gold. He gives me anything I want as long as he can afford it. He makes me feel beautiful. He's very funny. We're best friends as well as lovers. And he can cook and clean. I consider him a catch. We're getting married in less than a year.

The problem is that some family members are very rude about the fact that he's shorter. They've called him an elf. One person told me that he better wear shoe lifts so that our photos are not ruined. Another person told me that she didn't know why such a smart and beautiful girl was wasting her time with someone like him. At the time I said that I was not settling.

At this point, I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to say don't come to the wedding if that is your attitude. I find it ironic that those who seem so against my fiance and I are either single, divorced, or in unhappy marriages. What should I do? Should I make a big deal about it and not invite them to the wedding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
He treats me like gold. He gives me anything I want as long as he can afford it. He makes me feel beautiful. He's very funny. We're best friends as well as lovers. And he can cook and clean. I consider him a catch.
You sounds like somewhat of a gold digger with those statements. What do you for him?

Quote:
The problem is that some family members are very rude about the fact that he's shorter. They've called him an elf. One person told me that he better wear shoe lifts so that our photos are not ruined. Another person told me that she didn't know why such a smart and beautiful girl was wasting her time with someone like him. Should I make a big deal about it and not invite them to the wedding?
If you do go ahead with the wedding, definitely don't invite these clods. And when they rant about not receiving an invitation, be upfront about why they're not invited.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,476 times
People are shallow. Either that or they are jealous. I wouldn't invite those people to my wedding if they were acting like that. You don't need to listen to people like that let alone even take what they are saying seriously.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
You sounds like somewhat of a gold digger with those statements. What do you for him?

If you do go ahead with the wedding, definitely don't invite these clods. And when they rant about not receiving an invitation, be upfront about why they're not invited.
LOL. A gold digger? I make more than him. We pay equal percentages of living expenses (so I pay more). I was trying to get across that he treats me well. I do the majority of the cooking, the laundry, and an equal amount of cleaning. The whole point was to express how great he treats me.

I've never been called a gold digger before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Why wouldn't we go ahead with the wedding? I'm really confused.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,273 times
Quote:
LOL. A gold digger? I make more than him. We pay equal percentages of living expenses (so I pay more).
It didn't come across like that in your OP. It was all about what he does for you.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
It didn't come across like that in your OP. It was all about what he does for you.
Maybe I'm tired and that's why I'm confused. The whole point of explaining all of the wonderful things he does was to make it clear that I'm not settling. My family has no reason to think that he's not perfect for me. I would consider what I do for him irrelevant to this discussion.

Since you mentioned it, I treat him equally as well. He often says that I'm the best thing that has ever happened to him. And I feel the same about him.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
^^ I didn't read it like that at all.

Tell them to butt out of your business, and to respect your partner.

Although, I wouldnt tolerate that & think I'd be just as honest (rude) back to them as to what I think of their lives/partners

Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
I wouldn't tell em to miss the wedding cus that really will damage your relationship with them and also turn the whole issue into even a bigger deal. I would just invite them and be nice to them. The best way to get revenge on that is to treat them nice when they treat you poorly, and show them how well your marriage succeeds when theirs has failed.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Tell them to go to hell.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I agree with Victorhe. Invite them, treat them well, and let them see how happy you are together. They'll figure it out eventually.

Or don't. It's your wedding, and if they won't add to your special day, let them eat *their own* cake.

But that could lead to more friction in the family. If you and your fiance can handle their crude jokes and laugh with them, that would be the best. It's all up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships