Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

I don't think that love in an of itself is addictive, but I do believe the euphoria people feel when they are first discovering those feelings about someone is addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
It absolutely is addicting, which is what all the studies are showing. Not hard to believe considering the withdrawal you go through when it ends. Even when it's the right thing, even when you call it off, the withdrawal is still there.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
It absolutely is addicting, which is what all the studies are showing. Not hard to believe considering the withdrawal you go through when it ends. Even when it's the right thing, even when you call it off, the withdrawal is still there.
yes far worse than some drug withdrawals. LOL

Last edited by ttz; 11-30-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I know many people who treat love like a drug. What I mean is that they are with a different person every year or two, and then seem to tire of that person, and move on to another.

I've noticed many people I know seem to fear being alone and actually seem most happy when they are first in a new relationship. I've only been in love once (it didnt work) but from what I remember, this first part of a relationship was really crazy, as both people kind of live for each other, and almost obsess over each other. However, as time goes on, no matter who the people are, this obsession fades (or its not healthy or productive in life for either) and they start noticing things about each other they may not like. Before long small problems become major, and the couple splits... After a few weeks, these kinds of people find another person, and start the process over with someone else.

Am I cynical in seeing this? Am I jaded? I truly am waiting for the one (if it is possible, but I am not going to do date anyone to keep the sheets warm til I find that person) Is that bad

Another trend I have seen is that people who are in these constant relationships never seem to handle being single and will date and even shack up with the wrong person to not be alone.. Why is this not classified as an addiction and so many other things are in our society now? Is it because movies and songs are often times about happy endings with love? Have we not evolved enough to see that the fresh feeling of love does produce a chemical in our brain we can want to feel constantly? Isnt this what an addiction is??
1. REAL Love is a many splendid thing.
2. There is a counterfiet love which is really just lust for a time, but people think its love because of the euphoria associated with it .
3. There are three levels of love...Phileo, Eros, and Agape. Phileo is a brotherly or sisterly love as in deep caring friendships. Eros is a passionate type love both emotional and physical which one has in the context of lifelong commitment aka: marriage . Agape love is the highest form of love where total commitment and honor is due the person. Examples come in the form of a mans love for God or a marital couples love for one another particularly after a lifelong marriage where the two are inseperable.
4. Todays culture confuses Eros love as can be seen in many casual sex partners .
5. Most people shouldnt get married and just keep it at Phileo love , as based on the divorce rate. Many marriages should not have occured.
6. Real love is not only a feeling toward another, but it is demonstrated in ultimate commitment to ones welfare .

THese are some of my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships