Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Okay, another thread reminded me of this, and I'm bored so I figured I'd start a thread. My threads are never controversial enough to live long, but maybe I'll get a bite or two.

Do you know someone who has to be physically "in your space" all the time? Does it ick you out? Do you say anything to the person? What *is* your own personal space (a few feet, less, more)?

My MIL made me think about this on Thanksgiving. I automatically shrink back when she comes near because she talks at a very, very high volume (she is not hard of hearing) and leans DIRECTLY into my face to speak to me. I have even caught bits of food as she screamed joyfully at me about some nonsense or other.

I see her mouth open and I see her lurch toward me and I know she's going to try to get close enough for me to feel her breath on my face and I just shrivel backward.

I try to be subtle about it. I usually move back. Then I'm not so subtle -- if she continues to aggressively pursue, I will back up more firmly.

What is it about some people that they feel they have the right to physically be right up on top of other people? OTOH, what is it about some people (i.e. me) that makes us feel creeped out by someone close enough to smell and feel directly? (Unless it's the kids, the husband, etc.)

The same goes for "grabbers". Oh, I CAN NOT ABIDE GRABBERS. GET YOUR HAND OFF ME, jerk-o (female or male, it doesn't matter). That's another thing MIL does, come to think of it. She lurches over, breathes heavily, screams happily and directly and grabs my arm and jerks it toward her to make sure I'm paying attention.

Ick.

My BIL is a little bit this way too, but less aggressively. But he's the "Let's kiss hello, making sure at least some part of our mouths are touching" type and the "Let me hug you hard enough to invert your breasts and have them poke our your back" sort. And he's a "breather" too. Again, I like my BIL a lot -- he's wonderful -- but I don't like the whole "Let me squeeze you until you fart and breathe hard in your ear from the effort" bit.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

I believe I've just squicked myself out.

Anyway...fun topic...maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Yes, yes, yes, I hate people that invade my personal space. I find myself backing up until I bump into something, and then I am cornered. It makes me extremely uncomfortable....I need one of those little Yosemite Sam's truckers have on their tire flaps...mine would say, "Back the #### up!"
I could wear it platered to my forehead.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Haha! Oh, man, yeah I know people like that. I'm related to people like that. I'm actually dealing with a class full of kids who ALL have "personal space issues". But that's a whole separate thing.

If it's my (hypothetical) SO, I'm fine with it. With most others, I've got my crime-tape around me, 3 feet in all directions, no closer. Two feet if I like you.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
If someone invades my personal space, I will fight back.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
3 feet in all directions, no closer. Two feet if I like you.
Wow... this surprises me...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow... this surprises me...
I was being tongue-in-cheek. Why would it surprise you?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I was being tongue-in-cheek. Why would it surprise you?
Because I had you pegged as a warm person.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Because I had you pegged as a warm person.
I don't know that people who want/need their personal space are necessarily "not warm." I'm VERY warm...with my family and friends. I'm very touchy-huggy with people I trust and who trust me. (Who? Whom? Why can I never remember that grammar rule?) I'm all over my children like the pox, and I grab for my husband all the time. And they are all free to grab for me (well, in different ways, of course).

I don't think it's a question of a capacity for warmth, personally.

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I've been known to sock a fool for getting all up in my grill.

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
You urban people with your strange notion of "personal space". You people live like sardines in a tin. You know the type with the little metal opener that you break loose from the bottom of the can. Then you laboriously connect to the metal strip on the side and roll it up to separate the top from the body of the tin. At least sardine tins used to work that way.

But JerZ wants controversy to drive this thread into the big times. While Sardines are not loved by all, I do not think the subject would hold anyones attention for long. So instead of little fish we should discuss something people can be passionate about. Space the final frontier?

Theses are the voyages of JerZ's relatives as they seek to conquer her territorial space. Captains log. Stardate 29112010 Captain Mattb4 reporting. The Relative Federation has conducted a provocative act of aggression against the JerZ Alliance. The Galactic Republic has ordered our post to intervene.

"Plot the coordinates to JerZ"
"Ahead Warped post 4" Ms. Nemy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships