Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times

Advertisements

The ex for one christmas gave me some cheap summer sausage and two 20oz Mountain Dews. Bleh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
sex.

So you're saying it wasn't good then?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM

851 posts, read 3,626,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So you're saying it wasn't good then?
How can sex be a gift?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I dated a guy who was all about the show. I had just started a job at a pediatric clinic and it was the first job I'd ever had that I absolutely LOVED. I loved the docs, the hours, my coworkers, etc. After about two months there, on Valentines Day, a barber shop quartet walked in the door and asked for me. Being the horribly shy person I am, I turned and ran but my coworkers dragged me back. In front of the whole waiting room, they began singing to me. The docs and all the patients in rooms started walking out staring at me. I was pissed beyond belief. I was embarassed and scared I'd be reprimanded or lose my job.

While getting my serenade, my BF called my coworkers to see how I was reacting. They told him, "not very well." After the quartet had left, he called me. I told him, "you do that to me again, this is over."

One year later we were heading for Splitsville. We had talked about me wanting to relocate away from the area and I'd let him know I was planning on leaving when our lease was up (with no intention of including him). So for Valentines Day, he went and bought me a cheap looking diamond ring. I opened it, said thanks, closed the box and put it on my shelf. He got mad and demanded I wear it (reluctantly, I put it on my right hand). By the time I'd gotten to work, he'd called my coworkers and asked them to come admire my new gift. Two months later I was gone and I never talked to him again.

Guess it wasn't the gifts that were awful as much as the person giving them and the humiliation that came with them.

I tried to pawn the ring and was offered $50. Decided to give it to my sister who likes it better than I do.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
my DH used to give the NICEST gifts. he really paid attention.
all of a sudden a few years ago it was like someone else was possessing his brain. i started getting things that didnt suit me at all. a couple of years ago for my Bday he got me this awful 10k sapphire ring from walmart (no offense) but he spent $100 on it and i just wouldnt wear it and thought what a waste of money. i had him return it even though it hurt his feelings.
the next year for my bday...drum roll please.....SAME RING!!!! he had forgotten he had given it to me last year and returned it---and now he returned it AGAIN!!!!
This takes the cake.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
How can sex be a gift?

A lot of guys seems to enjoy sex as a gift lol.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I dated a guy who was all about the show. I had just started a job at a pediatric clinic and it was the first job I'd ever had that I absolutely LOVED. I loved the docs, the hours, my coworkers, etc. After about two months there, on Valentines Day, a barber shop quartet walked in the door and asked for me. Being the horribly shy person I am, I turned and ran but my coworkers dragged me back. In front of the whole waiting room, they began singing to me. The docs and all the patients in rooms started walking out staring at me. I was pissed beyond belief. I was embarassed and scared I'd be reprimanded or lose my job.

While getting my serenade, my BF called my coworkers to see how I was reacting. They told him, "not very well." After the quartet had left, he called me. I told him, "you do that to me again, this is over."

One year later we were heading for Splitsville. We had talked about me wanting to relocate away from the area and I'd let him know I was planning on leaving when our lease was up (with no intention of including him). So for Valentines Day, he went and bought me a cheap looking diamond ring. I opened it, said thanks, closed the box and put it on my shelf. He got mad and demanded I wear it (reluctantly, I put it on my right hand). By the time I'd gotten to work, he'd called my coworkers and asked them to come admire my new gift. Two months later I was gone and I never talked to him again.

Guess it wasn't the gifts that were awful as much as the person giving them and the humiliation that came with them.

I tried to pawn the ring and was offered $50. Decided to give it to my sister who likes it better than I do.

I hope you didn't split a year later because of the singing quartet .

Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I hope you didn't split a year later because of the singing quartet .
Not directly, but certainly indirectly. Overall, it was a lot of things that all meant I just didn't love him or foresee a future with him. The quartet was the start of the downfall. It showed me he didn't know me or what I enjoyed and didn't respect the professional relationship I was enjoying with a new employer.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
My ex gave me cookie sheets for our first anniversary. I should've left him right away. For our first Christmas he went to Walgreens on Christmas Eve and bought a whole bunch of makeup from the bargin bin. Bright red and purple lipstick, aweful eye shadows that I would never wear, etc. He even bought me a motorcycle when I was 9 months pregnant. A dirt bike nonetheless!

Ironically, he gave me a wonderful antique cabinet for what turned out to be our last Christmas together. Maybe he finally got it or maybe he sensed it was all over and a nice gift was his last gasp. Guess I will never know.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,365 times
Quote:
A lot of guys seems to enjoy sex as a gift lol.
Pathetic, I must say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships