Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

I was constantly given one crappy gift after the next by my old girlfriend. It was always something that looked like it was picked up in a air port gift store during a layover. I never said one thing about it to her or anyone else until now as I expected nothing. She always got jewerly from me and the one time I gave her something she thought was lame she cried and made a big deal out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I will admit. I really suck at giving gifts. I am probably one of those guys you all are talking about. Shame on me.

I will however say that I truly do think about gifts before I buy them. For example, I will justify the vacuum cleaner by saying that I would see the gifting potential if:
A) They dont have a vacuum cleaner, or
B) their current one sucks.

Nothing says I love you like a whole bunch of time saved from cleaning due to your brand new dyson ball. Also, I know to pull all tags off of discounted items and I know that buying a used cookie sheet is a horrible gift. But the jewelry in general, I dont know what to buy! How are we supposed to know your specific tastes? These are things that run through my mind during that stressful shopping session.

Also, flowers and a dinner date (even if its a shady diner), that seems like a great gift. Even if he got the flowers for being a secret shopper, hes still technically working for them! Also, you said they were very pretty. I think it makes sense that he would give them to you.

- Bad Gift Giver

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The worst gift I’ve ever received was a cheap wallet. It ended up in the donation bin at Goodwill.
I dont know if your a guy or girl, but as a guy, I hate buying myself a new wallet, much less someone else getting me one. New wallats suck so I try to make them last as long as possible!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,725 times
I once got a toothy bj. That was awful.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
My ex-husband once gave me a HUGE bottle of my very favorite perfume (Coco by Chanel), which sent me over the moon with happiness -- but then he proceeded to complain bitterly and loudly (with much fake sneezing and exaggerated faces) every time I wore it because he said it smelled like men's cologne.

(So why did he give it to me then??)

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I will admit. I really suck at giving gifts. I am probably one of those guys you all are talking about. Shame on me.

I will however say that I truly do think about gifts before I buy them. For example, I will justify the vacuum cleaner by saying that I would see the gifting potential if:

- Bad Gift Giver
In this sort of situation, you're the only one who knows if the recipient's the kind of person who'd think "How great! He was paying attention when I said I needed a new vacuum cleaner" or "I can't believe he bought me an appliance for my birthday!"

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

Nothing says I love you like a whole bunch of time saved from cleaning due to your brand new dyson ball. Also, I know to pull all tags off of discounted items and I know that buying a used cookie sheet is a horrible gift. But the jewelry in general, I dont know what to buy! How are we supposed to know your specific tastes? These are things that run through my mind during that stressful shopping session.

Also, flowers and a dinner date (even if its a shady diner), that seems like a great gift. Even if he got the flowers for being a secret shopper, hes still technically working for them! Also, you said they were very pretty. I think it makes sense that he would give them to you.

- Bad Gift Giver
You simply have to pay attention imho. I've got enough info from this month alone on what to gift my wife for valentines and our anniversary. Waiting on the next hint for her birthday n xmas.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In this sort of situation, you're the only one who knows if the recipient's the kind of person who'd think "How great! He was paying attention when I said I needed a new vacuum cleaner" or "I can't believe he bought me an appliance for my birthday!"
Yeah - that's for sure. I'm a practical kind of gal when it comes to gifts. I see Christmas and my birthday as an opportunity to get the things that I kind of need but I'm too cheap to buy for myself. By kind of need - I mean things that will help make things easier in the kitchen or the house as opposed to things that I would just want - like a massage or jewelry.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Agreed, I know all people are different. If the GF wants to buy me some new dress shoes or a new electric toothbrush for example, I would be very happy! It beats the heck out of getting a bottle of cologne I cant stand.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
I don't rate gifts from an SO based on their objective value in terms of cost. I have recieved some great gifts from previous SOs that had minimal or really no value, but it might have been because the person thought about what they were getting me or their was some emotional value attached to it.

However, when I was with her royal highness aka the princess that had her dad pay for everything she ever had (college, new vehicles, trips to Europe, etc, etc) and she had over 400k in a trust fund left by her grandfather was literally the cheapest person I have ever known in my life. I did however take care of her and spoil her like she thought she deserved. So, our first Christmas together, I bought her a Coach purse, $4,300 pair of earings, took her to Cabo and a bunch of other stuff.

I was somewhat speechless when I got my presents. Once again, I don't base the value of presents on what they cost but with her, I was hoping she would put some effort in, all things considered. So like I said, I was speechless. . . .

She got me

A pair of boxers
Two civil war books (I study Confederate history)
A single issue of Guitar World magazine (which was cute considering I already had a subscription. . .like WTF)
Two pairs of sox (seriously)
A shirt (wow)
A picture of us together in a frame that she made
and a bunch of other crap.

She really was a total user in every way imaginable with serious entitlement issues and narcissistically selfish.

Sky-O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships