Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM

395 posts, read 1,284,814 times

Advertisements

I think its a weird question but I have to ask this. I have been married for over 3 years now.

I am unable to understand if what I intend to do is right or wrong. Here is the background.

I live in Canada and here we have 3 levels of driving tests to get the license to drive on free way (over 100 kmph). I passed 1 level but some how, i am just unable to pass the second level. I failed (4 days ago). Twice. First time when I failed my DH was very supportive. Second time he was very angry; obviously and I deserve it.

He was being very mean and is putting me down at every possible situation since then. He called me a failure, disgusting and many more things I do not want to pen down here. He also said that even our kids would be a failure because of me, etc. he later came and apologized for this but once you say certain things, you cant take them back.

I started analyzing why am I being so nervous. It suddenly made sense that i am not worried about the road test itself but I am worried about my DH scolding me and putting me down. This is what is making me nervous.

Now my problem: I want to book a road test with OUT my DH's knowledge. If I pass I will tell him and if not, i will just not tel him. I know this is not the right thing to do but I really do not have the energy to hear all the abuses all over again, should I fail again.

Does this mean I would be loosing his trust on me? Should I do this or no? Am i going to hurt him if I go behind his back and give this exam?
What is your take on this?

P.S: I failed because I couldn't do parallel parking properly. In Canada the examiners are really strict. I know how to parallel park but I was so nervous that I was literally shaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,110,978 times
Sorry, but he sounds like your father not your husband.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Sorry, but he sounds like your father not your husband.
Well, he is my husband.

Is my problem something deeper than driving test?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,612,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I think its a weird question but I have to ask this. I have been married for over 3 years now.

I am unable to understand if what I intend to do is right or wrong. Here is the background.

I live in Canada and here we have 3 levels of driving tests to get the license to drive on free way (over 100 kmph). I passed 1 level but some how, i am just unable to pass the second level. I failed (4 days ago). Twice. First time when I failed my DH was very supportive. Second time he was very angry; obviously and I deserve it.

He was being very mean and is putting me down at every possible situation since then. He called me a failure, disgusting and many more things I do not want to pen down here. He also said that even our kids would be a failure because of me, etc. he later came and apologized for this but once you say certain things, you cant take them back.

I started analyzing why am I being so nervous. It suddenly made sense that i am not worried about the road test itself but I am worried about my DH scolding me and putting me down. This is what is making me nervous.

Now my problem: I want to book a road test with OUT my DH's knowledge. If I pass I will tell him and if not, i will just not tel him. I know this is not the right thing to do but I really do not have the energy to hear all the abuses all over again, should I fail again.

Does this mean I would be loosing his trust on me? Should I do this or no? Am i going to hurt him if I go behind his back and give this exam?
What is your take on this?

P.S: I failed because I couldn't do parallel parking properly. In Canada the examiners are really strict. I know how to parallel park but I was so nervous that I was literally shaking.

First of all you NOR anyone else deserves to be put down, called names and mentally abused which is what your husband is doing to you. Further, it concerns me that you think this behavior from his is perfectly acceptable and you have kids too?

If you can't parallel park, join the club. Many people can't and even here in the US, people fail for that same reason.

I'm sensing a cultural thing here, perhaps Indian? In whatever case, you need to stand up tall, tell your husband to back off and when you're ready you can take the test again. I would NEVER put up with my spouse, friend, boyfriend or anyone talk to me in that manner.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well, he is my husband.

Is my problem something deeper than driving test?
Yes, but it's not YOUR problem, see above poster, they really hit it on the head. My father made me a nervous wreck like that, but I'd NEVER put up with a situation like that from a husband or significant other. Have you ever experienced this put-down demeanor with him in other situations even slightly?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks Andreas.

Another question, the other day I spilled wine on the hardwood floor. I mean, I was reaching for the glass and it fell and broke. Immediately the yelling began. I started cleaning off the mess but the he started yelling saying that I am negligent, I don't know what I am doing, how much effort it takes to lay the floor down, bla bla bla. But it was only wine on the floor (not even a carpet).

Also, recently i bought a pair of ear rings for $35. usually I think twice before spending money. So, after I failed the driving test, he started yelling, "oh, you think twice to pay $35 but then conveniently fail. Twice. Explain how this makes sense to you". Honestly I dont have an explanation. So I just kept quite.

Am I putting up with a verbal abuser? I am getting confused. I havent dated much before marriage and then this. So, I am unable to know if I am with a abuser or this is normal in every household.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,891,958 times
Verbal abuse.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks Andreas.

Another question, the other day I spilled wine on the hardwood floor. I mean, I was reaching for the glass and it fell and broke. Immediately the yelling began. I started cleaning off the mess but the he started yelling saying that I am negligent, I don't know what I am doing, how much effort it takes to lay the floor down, bla bla bla. But it was only wine on the floor (not even a carpet).

Also, recently i bought a pair of ear rings for $35. usually I think twice before spending money. So, after I failed the driving test, he started yelling, "oh, you think twice to pay $35 but then conveniently fail. Twice. Explain how this makes sense to you". Honestly I dont have an explanation. So I just kept quite.

Am I putting up with a verbal abuser? I am getting confused. I havent dated much before marriage and then this. So, I am unable to know if I am with a abuser or this is normal in every household.
Yes, and it has the same effect as a physical abuser but is too overlooked. The longer you put up with or stay in that kind of situation the more screwed up and scarred you become.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Verbal abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, and it has the same effect as a physical abuser but is too overlooked.
Oh. What should I do to change the situation? I am not contemplating divorce yet. Is there anything I can do?
Should I talk back? I tried this before but every time I open my mouth he has something witty to say back and I am dumbstruck all over again. When he yell, my heart keeps racing and I panic. So, I just keep quite.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,612,127 times
Quote:
Thanks Andreas.

Let me put this into perspective for you. I've been with my b/f for over five years and can count on one hand how many times we've raised our voices to each other and during THOSE time that we did, it was a heated argument that was quickly resolved. He's never said hateful or hurtful things like your spouse does to you.

YES YES YES this is verbal and mental abuse. Your husband does not have a right to abuse you. This is NOT normal behavior. My grandparents were married for over 50 years and never scolded each other.

You need to look out for yourself and your children if he's going to be such an idiot. If you don't stand up for yourself now, it will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships