Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM

20,629 posts, read 19,289,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
There are plenty of girls who like jerks and guys who act like douches my friend if he's hot.

Not in the same proportions. Not enough red M&Ms for the men.

Compare the dating outlook for joblessness. This will increase the number of "un-date-able" men on average since men care about this less. Consider the current state of girth like a depression.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
My wife and I were at our old night club this past weekend and we noticed that many younger men and women were heavier than we are. When we were regulars at the club it was a differant story, and that was just 5 years ago. we stop in from time to time to go dancing and have some fun. I was amazed that my 39 year old wife looked much hotter than the majority of young ladies out that night. You would think that a 21 to 25 year old girl would at least look much hotter or at least thinner than a 39 year old girl. I guess my wife has it going on. LOL

Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 PM

339 posts, read 835,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My wife and I were at our old night club this past weekend and we noticed that many younger men and women were heavier than we are. When we were regulars at the club it was a differant story, and that was just 5 years ago. we stop in from time to time to go dancing and have some fun. I was amazed that my 39 year old wife looked much hotter than the majority of young ladies out that night. You would think that a 21 to 25 year old girl would at least look much hotter or at least thinner than a 39 year old girl. I guess my wife has it going on. LOL
I worked at Macys outside NYC a few years back and I saw so many milfs it was unreal! LOL. These women were like 35+ and they looked better than some 20 somethings. People really underestimate how regular exercise and a sense of style can enhance your sex appeal. It was nuts how many sexy milfs they had up in there! I was lucky i didn't get fired.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
A man who is merely overweight can make up for it in any number of ways.
So can a woman who is merely overweight. What's your point?

If you're talking outright obesity and not overweight...sorry, even a man who can "make up for it in any number of ways" can ick-out enough of the dating pool to have to lower his standards from fashion model to a non-fashion model. We all know the very obese guy who is funny as heck, smart and works hard but the women just think of him as "a great friend"...who are you trying to kid here?

Unless you're talking about the usual -- "uber-rich men can get ANY girl!" -- in which case, sure, they can. Does the majority of U.S. men fall under this category? Do you? Ditto to the "But just look at oldsters like George Clooney...he's HOT!" Yes, and he was hot as a youngster, too. Again, does the majority of U.S. men George Clooney's age fall under this category? Do you?

If you're talking about "merely" overweight (and not obese), sure, perhaps a harder time getting dates (but by no means doomed to being alone...there are PLENTY of hooked up, happy, lovely overweight people). But plenty of men are obese...just as plenty of women are obese. And plenty of just a bit overweight men are still attractive and have other great qualities...just as plenty of just a bit overweight women are still attractive and have other great qualities.

I think this "I can have a potbelly but still get a girl because I work in middle management at Sears and my fart jokes are way, way funny" mentality is a bit off on the part of men, and it tends to come as quite a shock when the truth hits.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Hi JerZ,

My point is very simple. The way women look is more important than men in the sexual market place. I don't think that is particularly avant-garde. I don't see much going on in the male super-model category.

Quote:
If you're talking outright obesity and not overweight...sorry, even a man who can "make up for it in any number of ways" can ick-out enough of the dating pool to have to lower his standards from fashion model to a non-fashion model. We all know the very obese guy who is funny as heck, smart and works hard but the women just think of him as "a great friend"...who are you trying to kid here?

Unless you're talking about the usual -- "uber-rich men can get ANY girl!" -- in which case, sure, they can. Does the majority of U.S. men fall under this category? Do you? Ditto to the "But just look at oldsters like George Clooney...he's HOT!" Yes, and he was hot as a youngster, too. Again, does the majority of U.S. men George Clooney's age fall under this category? Do you?

If you're talking about "merely" overweight (and not obese), sure. But plenty of men are obese...just as plenty of women are obese. And plenty of just a bit overweight men are still attractive and have other great qualities...just as plenty of just a bit overweight women are still attractive and have other great qualities.

I think this "I can have a potbelly but still get a girl because I work in middle management at Sears and my fart jokes are way, way funny" mentality is a bit off on the part of men, and it tends to come as quite a shock when the truth hits.
If you are going to make this a simple pass-fail dichotomy, then it simply will not apply to the real world. An fatty female VP is not going to do well. A male VP at Sears with a little paunch and self confidence will. The obese guy might end up with someone who is overweight and near the border line. Its a sliding scale.

I would be shocked if any broad spectrum event affected the sexes in the exact same way since the goals do differ to some extent.

Would you say that a middle manager at Sears 20lbs overweight is going to have a similar shot as a chronically unemployed carpenter with a reasonable build? I have little doubt. An attractive executive assistant is going to run circles around a 26 BMI couch potato VP. Few men I know ask about a sense of humor...

It certainly does not mean an attractive woman is going to not care at all.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,023,404 times
Other factors can make up for looks and vice versa.

Think of it like a point system. People generally want someone who has the same number of points as them or higher. For example, a charismatic executive with a slightly smushy build may have only 5 points in regards to attractiveness, but 10 points in status & wealth and 8 points in personality. His total = 23. That explains how he could probably snag pretty and charming Jane who has 12 points in attractiveness, 7 in personality, and only 4 in wealth & status.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
A woman who is merely overweight can't make up for it in the same way a man can. Imagine you have a man and a woman in the singles scene. Then a year later, both people have put on 20 pounds. Who do you think is going to be penalized more by the opposite sex?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,624,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post

Think of it like a point system. People generally want someone who has the same number of points as them or higher. For example, a charismatic executive with a slightly smushy build may have only 5 points in regards to attractiveness, but 10 points in status & wealth and 8 points in personality. His total = 23. That explains how he could probably snag pretty and charming Jane who has 12 points in attractiveness, 7 in personality, and only 4 in wealth & status.
So this is like Weight Watchers of Sex, If I skip breakfast I will have enough points to take the hot babe to lunch.

Jonathan

Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post

Hi mango tango,

Men do not hold that in the same esteem. Peter The Great married a peasant girl without a hitch. Any reverse is unusual. Old royalty had the concept of the morganatic marriage true, and a man does not quite want to find her when she is just dispatched from the orphanage, but female beauty moves up.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,652,769 times
Job status is a great big plus for men, and is only neutral for women. (In fact I have come to realize that a high status job can be detrimental to women because we tend to waste time talking about it when nobody cares.) Weight is a really big negative for women, and is a small negative for men (except for in NYC, SoCal, Miami etc... where I'd say it is medium-negative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.