Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times

Advertisements

My response?

We aren't compatible... Check please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Maybe the person is asking because their job doesn't, or they want to get an opinion on a career choice move, or they're wondering what your opinion on financial responsibility is. It's funny to picture people getting so defensive that they ask for the check and storm out the door, or tell the person to go to hell and leave them sitting there.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
For those who expressed concern that this is an old thread, not to worry. The topic is still apropos and there are no ToS rules broken here. A few off-topic posts have been deleted. The thread will remain open as long as everyone plays nice.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
I don't think that's appropriate for a first date, or an early date...I wouldn't be concerned with it until I felt pretty sure I wanted to try and build a relationship with the person. I sure don't know that on a first date.

As something to want to know, eventually? Well, yeah, and I like how it was phrased...not "how much do you make?" but more a question of if the person is living within their means. I do think that's important. I don't care much if a man is very wealthy, but a man who makes less but actually has no debt, and has some savings, well color me impressed! I prefer to date responsible adults. I can certainly however still date someone who has some debt, if they are managing it well. As a woman who is still recovering financially from a disaster of a divorce, I used to say, "I wouldn't date me." It's true. Still, there are more tactful ways she could have nudged for that information, it is a bit blunt.

I had a date once who came out in conversation with some very frank talk about a very weird kink he is into, and...look, you guys know I'm not shy, if anything I overshare and I can talk about pretty much whatever. But this? So not something you tell a gal on a first date. I actually did wind up dating him for a while, and we're still friends, but I have always given him a hard time about it. You tell me something like that, I might make jokes, I can't help it.

What was the kink? Well I'll give you a hint. The Joker once said that this town needed one...

Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
I wouldn't be dating if I couldn't.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
I would just point out what I always have -- that both the tax laws and the "accepted rules of 'Korporate' behavior" make it relatively easy to get by -- but very difficult to get ahead. Marginal tax rates -- the additional taxes imposed on additional income -- are what makes "good time" money disappear more quickly, but far too many people of marriageable age haven't grasped that yet. The women I admired most on my dating days were those who knew how to make the most of what was already there.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Someone else made a very good point about how this question depends greatly on the age of the people involved.

At younger ages people don't tend to care as much.

At older ages you start looking towards retirement, maybe have kids headed to college in the nearer future and have gotten old enough to hear the horror stories of friends and families that got into relationships with bad financial implications.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
If the woman is dating to find a partner, (rather than maybe a friend's brother is in town and bored) the question is appropriate, IMHO.

The question do you make enough to cover your bills isn't asking "how much do you make", but rather "why are you living with your parents when you are 24 and employed full time".

And that question, IMHO, is appropriate on the first date. As is, do you have children? Are you currently in a relationship with someone else? What do you like to do for fun?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I just looked at her like she was crazy. I couldnt believe it. My job pays ok.(I work in an entry-level position at one of the Big 4 Banks) People tell me I look well off,but I'm 24 and living at home, so I have to disagree....anyway...how would have you responded to that?
I would have said What business is it of yours??
I think that was her way of trying to determine if you weren't dirt poor without having to actually ask.People nowadays can be so nosy!!! I think that was sort of rude.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I would have said What business is it of yours??
I think that was her way of trying to determine if you weren't dirt poor without having to actually ask.People nowadays can be so nosy!!! I think that was sort of rude.
This isn't like someone turned to their airplane seatmate and asked the question.

This is someone at the beginning of a romantic relationship. In my opinion, if you're both there to check each other out whether you want to try to form a relationship, it's critical to know.

Not the amount of money made. But if this guy is going to be living with mom and dad for the forseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships