Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,384,086 times

Advertisements

Like, a future husband will buy an expensive ring 4 his future wife and pay for aa BIG wedding.

To me about 96% of the time those marriages don't even last long.

Why can't couples can jus be simple and just get a ring that's REALLY worth something with substance in the inside than just or having an enormous price tag and having a simple wedding than big weddings.

No offense about/to people buying BIG weddings and all, but all or most of marriages these days are being emphasizes on how big a wedding was than on the marriage itself. If You know what i mean?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 PM

126 posts, read 230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

No offense about/to people buying BIG weddings and all, but all or most of marriages these days are being emphasizes on how big a wedding was than on the marriage itself. If You know what i mean?
It is true - and will add that not all people that have lots of money spend it on an elaborate weddings and rings, either.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:34 PM

37,426 posts, read 45,623,586 times
Do you create a thread about every silly random thought that enters your mind?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,384,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Do you create a thread about every silly random thought that enters your mind?
It might be silly but it may be true.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,203,326 times
I agree with you B&G. IMHO the commitment means nothing to most of the people that have these weddings, they just want the big flashy show.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,615,408 times
I'm with you B&G, don't let Chessiemom make you think its a silly thread. Everyone is silly to her. Anyway, I feel the same way. I was with a friend yesterday and she was talking to me about the guy she wants to get engaged to and we walked past a jewelry shop and in the front a bunch of expensive shiny rings were on display. While she was checking them out she's pointing out to the one that she thinks suits her taste the best and which one is the prettiest to her. Like I said they were all expensive and said if her future husband better buy her something above 600 or something that looks damn expensive. While she was saying that, I was thinking the same exact thing. I was going to bring it up to her but I decided it wasn't worth mentioning at the moment because she's just a big diva when it comes to guys she dates.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,837,496 times
B&G (Mills/Vilma I assume) I both agree and disagree with you. I think too many times people spend waaay too much on their wedding, as that money would be better used as a down payment on a home or a really nice vacation. There are LOTS of people out there (me being one and all of my married friends as well) who DO place importance on the significance of the ring and not just the "bling" factor. It depends on the type of people I guess.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,090,251 times
If Money can't buy love, then why do most people buy these expensive marriage rings and expensive weddings

Most people don't.

While not a fan of BIG weddings personally, you miight want to invest a little time in getting your background facts straight instead of spewing anything and everything you believe out as fact.

Quote:
Like, a future husband will buy an expensive ring 4 his future wife and pay for aa BIG wedding.
Most of these "Big" weddings are not paid for by the future husband, but rather the family of the bride. More and more weddings are being paid for by couples, that being both the future wife and husband equally. I'm not sure where you are getting your 1950's concept of the world at large as it is today.

Quote:
It's still hovering around 50%.

Quote:
Why can't couples can jus be simple and just get a ring that's REALLY worth something with substance in the inside than just or having an enormous price tag and having a simple wedding than big weddings.
Most do. A change in societal attitudes has contributed to the increase in eloping. Over 60 percent of marriages are now conducted by officiants and celebrants, many of which being eloping weddings.

YOU also have options on how and where YOU want to get married. There's no law holding you to participating in a HUGE wedding. So, all this fuss is for what?

Quote:
See above. Most is not accurate.

Elopement - all you'll ever need to know…….

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 AM

153 posts, read 272,601 times
Actually, divorce is hovering around 62%.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,718,620 times
Quote:

Social, status, to prove something, showoffs, etc

Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships