Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times

Advertisements

I've always had certain doubts about peer pressure playing a role towards some late teens using drugs or excessive alcohol consumption. I think that by the time someone is 15 years old and above, they should already know right from wrong as well likes/dislikes.

In my theory, if a straight-laced, honors student (assuming the teen is 15 or older) suddenly becomes destructive as a result of peer pressure/bad influence, it means they already had a predisposition towards this personality. In other words deep in their unconsciousness they wanted to rebel and always had those desires but restrained themselves from acting out until someone activated them.

I was 15 years old too and one of my female friend was a smoker but I always detested the smoke. I never liked drugs nor smoking and wouldn't have done it no matter how what. Why? I always thought it was stupid and gets you no where.
So this whole ''I was led to a destructive path for a way due to peer pressure'' sounds completely absurd to me. If that's the case then it just means the so called straight-laced child was a hypocrite in the first place.

This is similar towards stating alcohol caused you to cheat. It did not, you already had this desire to a while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Excessive drinking in young adults

I have seen this more and more lately. My son, age 21, says "Mom, it's like a right of passage" - I just don't know - he knows how we feel and it's a sore subject; don't not drink when he drives but I still think it's out there more than a few years ago.

For young girls, I think they're catching up with the guys.

Opinions?

(Mostly beer, like Samuel Adams; wine from time to time. No drugs).

Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Sometimes it's peer pressure, and sometimes it's curiosity which quickly evolves into an addiction. Swigging out of Dad's beer affects everyone differently. Most of us suffer from no bad effects other than a buzz, but some people will go on to a life long addiction.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,823 times
Peer pressure a lot of times but for me experimenting with drinking and marijuana (and a few psychedelics) was out of sheer boredom. Getting bored easily leads to other things. It never affected my performance in college or work and I've turned out fairly successfull. Can't say the same for some other individuals I know. Its really up to that individuals personality. If they have an addictive personality complimented by underlying issues then its quite easy to suffer from alcohol and drug abuse.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
I think peer pressure causes one to be more prone to experiment with stuff. But if your core personality doesn't fit, then you probably would not continue to use. Nor would you continue to keep such friends.

Boredom and self destructive behavior is what leads to continued recreational drug use.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Boredom and self destructive behavior is what leads to continued recreational drug use.
Or for spiritual purposes...or creative stimulation...or stress reduction...or self-medication...or simply because it feels good.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Mostly, but someone might just be curious. Peer pressure can exacerbate this curiosity though. I.e. 'come on, you've got to try this, it's great!'

Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Peer pressure mostly but something else determines your peers.

Kids who gravitate toward the wild partying crowd have reasons, kids who stick with the studious and goal oriented kids have reasons. Some choose their friends but some are lonely and want to fit in so bad with some group, they'll go with whatever group will have them.

Peer pressure can also sway you from excessive drinking and drugs, often it depends on your peers.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I agree with Onglet, but I also think people of all ages might drink to excess for example the same way other people might eat to excess. Not everybody is good at paying attention to how much they're consuming when they're having fun and some excess drinking might simply be the cause of that.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:04 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Or for spiritual purposes...or creative stimulation...or stress reduction...or self-medication...or simply because it feels good.
I actually agree, I do still recreation-ally partake in marijuana use. Mainly through tea or hooka but it actually helps me relax. Several individuals in my line of work (Trade Floor systems admin) use various drugs to relax. All are great people with families and 100k+ salaries. Some of it just feels good. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships