Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with the tendency of some (not all), of the female gender, including female family members, to "expect" their men to also automatically be "handymen"? While some guys might genuinely enjoy doing these things, I personally can't stand most of it, and would just as soon "hire out", to have the work done by paying someone to do it.

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kinds of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 12-26-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
What's the deal with the tendency of some (not all), of the female gender, including female family members, to "expect" their men to also automatically be "handymen"? While some guys might genuinely enjoy doing these things, I personally can't stand most of it, and would just as soon "hire out", to have the work done by paying someone to do it.

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kids of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?
Because of the stupid double standard. If we ask them to do all the 'woman's duties' like washing the dishes or cleaning the toilet they'd cry sexism.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kinds of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?
You seriously have had your "manhood" called into question over this? Really? Frankly, you sound rather insecure to let something so silly, bother you.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
It's because men who are problem-solvers are very attractive to us. We like it when men can make something happen, even something dull like fixing a door knob. Knowing that your man is ready and able to get the job done is a turn-on. it's basic, primal stuff - the man as a provider of a good home. Even feminists prefer a man who is handy (even if they are capable of doing for themselves).

Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I certainly don't expect a man to be a handyman but dammit it'd sure be nice to be with someone who can figure out how to hook up the darn DVD player or know all that crap about cars that my puny head can't seem to wrap around lol.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
For me, it's partially because of what I was raised with. My dad was a carpenter, and had the professional knowledge needed for most household repairs and chores, and was an expert at virtually all DIY type projects. He and my mom ran a small carpentry, general repair, and building contracting business for nearly 40 years. They gutted and rebuilt the vintage home I was raised in. I basically grew up in an episode of "This Old House." I knew my way around lathes, c-clamps, levels, drywalling mud, and nail pouches before I even entered elementary school.

My SO tries, and he is very good at researching and teaching himself these skills, but since we've become homeowners, I'm often caught offguard by what I find to be "basic" handyman-type stuff that he doesn't just know how to do... and it's not a matter of shows of masculinity, either, considering that I, the female in the equation, know how to do most of this stuff, due to my dad having taught me how. He was raised by somebody who hired out for all this stuff, and he never learned to do it side by side with somebody, like I did. It blows my mind that this stuff isn't common knowledge. I vastly prefer to do things on my own if I have the ability, versus pay somebody else to do it. Just an upbringing thing. We both cook and clean and do laundry, however, and he's better with electronics/computerized stuff than I am. He's just not as skilled with general household repairs, etc.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I think most men can fix things and have a better idea how things work than most women. So, naturally women expect their men to fix things, and most men oblige them. When men have absolutely zero mechanical ability, then I can see them squawking. Do you expect women to cook, clean and do laundry? I think your thoughts along these lines depends on your upbringing.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You seriously have had your "manhood" called into question over this? Really? Frankly, you sound rather insecure to let something so silly, bother you.
I can only speak of own experience - however, you might not think being called "less than a man", various crude homosexual references that I won't repeat (and when one is specifically *not* homosexual), and other 4-letter word curses and verbal abuse, when one refuses to accede to various "handyman-related" demands, as "silly".

Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I certainly don't expect a man to be a handyman but dammit it'd sure be nice to be with someone who can figure out how to hook up the darn DVD player or know all that crap about cars that my puny head can't seem to wrap around lol.
Hooking up a DVD / Blu-Ray player...not a problem for me, lol

Fixing a car...sorry, no idea...that's what the family car mechanic, is for!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Honestly, if that is happening to you, it speaks more to your ability to choose with whom to surround yourself than it does your ability to be Mr. Fix-It. Somebody who's going to verbally abuse you is going to verbally abuse you no matter what...doesn't have much to do with whether or not you can fix a doorknob. If you were a professional handyman, people like that would just find something else to abusively target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships