Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times

Advertisements

He's one lucky SOB that she even allowed him to be there at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
His marriage proposal to that woman - less than a month after her passing makes it clear that Elizabeth Edwards knew her husband very well - to the end. Good for her leaving everything to her children. Can you imagine if she hadnt?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
His marriage proposal to that woman - less than a month after her passing makes it clear that Elizabeth Edwards knew her husband very well - to the end. Good for her leaving everything to her children. Can you imagine if she hadnt?
Honestly, I hope John Edwards sues the National Enquirer, or whoever started that rumor

http://abcnews.go.com/US/john-edward...ry?id=12567699

Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
John Edwards was a major major D bag....... he needed his ass kicked majorly...
You said it best.

Elizabeth was classy clear up to the end and beyond. She is my hero.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM

128 posts, read 253,086 times
Cheaters (of either sex) should get NOTHING, whether the marriage ends in death or divorce.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think Elizabeth Edwards was fully justified.

Then, on the other hand, you have my a-hole father-in-law.

He has five children, three sons and two daughters.

Both daughters and two of the sons are hard-working, selfless people. The kind of children any reasonable person would be delighted to have.

The third son, meanwhile, is a self-centered nitwit who causes nothing but misery for everyone. During the twenty years I've known the guy, he's...

1) Knocked up a girl in a one-night stand.
2) Married a total harpy who never missed an opportunity to insult the family, then divorced him after he paid off all her credit cards.
3) Because he couldn't handle that marriage, he moved in with his parents.
4) Even though he is an engineer and well-paid, he's never chipped in for the mortgage, the utilities, the property taxes, or the food.
5) The resulting daughter from Item Number One above moved in with them, and promptly got knocked up.
6) The Brother-in-law simply foisted the care of the knocked-up daughter onto his parents because, "I'm too busy at work to deal with it."

The a-hole father-in-law, over Thanksgiving, takes me aside to tell me that this fool is going to GET THEIR HOUSE when they die.

Mind you, I don't care if their estate is $10 or $10,000,000. I don't care if they willed it all to the church. But why in God's name would he do this to his other four children? He is essentially saying, "Yeah, you guys were good children and did everything I asked of you, but I'm giving it all to your brother the rude f*ckup who's never given a thought to anyone but himself."

How do you think that's going to make them feel? Because he's essentially told them that he values one child above all the rest.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
How do you think that's going to make them feel? Because he's essentially told them that he values one child above all the rest.
That's not how it works in the minds of the parents, cpg. They do this type of thing when they feel one of their children is incapable of making it in life. Even though it doesn't look this way, it's a actually a praise to the other children.

I know, I know... it's twisted, but true.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's not how it works in the minds of the parents, cpg. They do this type of thing when they feel one of their children is incapable of making it in life. Even though it doesn't look this way, it's a actually a praise to the other children.

I understand what you're saying, S. But this is a guy who is part owner of a successful engineering firm. It's not like he lives in a darkened basement surrounded by a ring of pizza boxes and empty Mountain Dew cans.

He doesn't live with his parents because he can't function in the real world. He does it because he's incredibly cheap and likes the free ride he gets with Mom and Dad. This guy is 45, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure why my FIL decided to tell me this. But since he did not say that it was confidential, I felt duty bound to share the news with MrsCPG so she would emotionally prepared. Maybe I shouldn't have blabbed, but I just don't keep secrets from her.

The thing is, this will surely alienate this brother from his siblings even more than he is now.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

My thoughts exactly.

I too wish parents wouldn't do this kind of thing, but it happens all the time and they are so blind they have no clue how much the other kids may be hurt or offended. Bottom line is, parents like this are trying to assuage their own guilt over the one kid who couldn't cut it in life. They feel responsible whether they are or not.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM

402 posts, read 589,440 times
Spouses are supposed to get something. Technically you can't disinherit a spouse. But to get around that law, you just don't mention them in the will, which is what she did.

But they still owned some things together so he gets that anyway. The money however just goes into trust for the children. Rightfully so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships