Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,162 times

Advertisements

Lets say you and your SO have an apartment together. You lease is just about up and you guys are still together and loving every minute of it.

As you two begin apartment hunting the two of you like locations on POLAR opposite side of the city. Your SO thinks your location is too far from work even though its close to all the other important stuff (schools, freeways, the grocery store, the mall, etc) and it is a nice area. Even though they dont like this area you REALLY want to move there and almost refuse to give in

And the area she likes is close to work for her, but is crowded (ie a constant traffic jam) and is far from your job as well as the freeway that takes you there

Would you break up with your SO to have the house or apartment of your dreams, or would you stick with her and live in an area you CANT STAND no matter what happened?

If you move to the area your SO wants she will be happy even though you will hate it. If she moves to the area you pick, you will be happy but she will hate it. Do you guys break up and get your own places? Or stay together and just live apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,382,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas $ex Addict View Post
Lets say you and your SO have an apartment together. You lease is just about up and you guys are still together and loving every minute of it.

As you two begin apartment hunting the two of you like locations on POLAR opposite side of the city. Your SO thinks your location is too far from work even though its close to all the other important stuff (schools, freeways, the grocery store, the mall, etc) and it is a nice area. Even though they dont like this area you REALLY want to move there and almost refuse to give in

And the area she likes is close to work for her, but is crowded (ie a constant traffic jam) and is far from your job as well as the freeway that takes you there

Would you break up with your SO to have the house or apartment of your dreams, or would you stick with her and live in an area you CANT STAND no matter what happened?

If you move to the area your SO wants she will be happy even though you will hate it. If she moves to the area you pick, you will be happy but she will hate it. Do you guys break up and get your own places? Or stay together and just live apart?
Break up, you aren't ready for a real relationship

Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,567,884 times
First off, how you are able to work out this issue will give you important information about how likely your relationship is to succeed long term. In terms of things couples fight over, this is pretty small time. Think parenting techniques, what city to live in, medical issues, money issues...

To me, it sounds like BOTH of you have chosen an apartment that is ideal for you and unideal for the other person. I saw your reasoning that yours is oh so close to the freeway, close to schools, etc, but honestly, I assume she would give me a similar list for why she likes her place. So I'm calling a draw there.

You have multiple compromises available to you:

1. You could get a different job. So could she. Yes, that may be hard in this economy, but it's a possibility in the long term. Many couples have to do so when they work a long way apart.

2. You could find an apartment halfway in between your places.

3. You could live separately. Personally, if you hate an apartment more than you love your GF (i.e. you'd be so resentful you would let it sour things), then probably the relationship isn't strong enough to make it last anyway.

Last edited by h886; 01-11-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,355,421 times
If you love her, then you should both be able to compromise and get a place in an area that neither of you hate.

If you love the area where you want to live, more than you love her, then yeah, maybe you should move where you want, and let her go.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,525,655 times
Why not just renew the lease and stay where you are?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,931,333 times
If you are really in love, the person means more to you than the location. Much more. I venture to say that many if not most people who have been in LTRs have lived somewhere they disliked for the sake of their SO.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,231,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Seriously. The whole either/or thing says all. You compromise and find an area you can agree on.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 PM

37,472 posts, read 45,693,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This^^.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 AM

489 posts, read 1,321,265 times
It's called compromise. If your relationship has any chance at a future, you must learn to compromise! Pick an area that is convenient to both of you, or pick the area that one person wants but let the other choose the actual apartment, or something like that. Las Vegas has lots of nice areas, so it really shouldn't be that hard.

For what it's worth, I have lived on "complete opposite" sides of the Vegas Valley (Green Valley area of Henderson, and Summerlin) and I don't know which areas you two are disagreeing on but I would choose Summerlin in a heart beat.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,289,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas $ex Addict View Post

I'd listen to you and go with your plan if I was a chick. Who the hell wants to live close or right next to work anyway? Do you like everyone thinking they can stop by for free food and drinks at every opportunity? Do you like your pain in the a$$ boss banging on your door after hours to tell you something or bother you? To hell with that! Move AWAY and tell her to like it or else! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships