Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know what you mean, I still haven't told my sister that my wife died back in 08....but I've been busy so I'm sure she will understand.
I think that's more telling of your relationship with your sis than any desire to keep from advertising your single status. Are you two estranged?

Anyway, I'm thinking that some people are just more open about their lives in general--if you know their single status quickly then chances are that you know more about their lives in general. I don't see anything wrong with this--it's the way they're made and then others are way private and that's the way they're made too, except that society is more likely to admire the ones who suck it up and keep their mouth shut about their personal life. That can go too far though--I'll never forget when a coworker came in and announced that his wife had just had a baby--he'd worked there for years and was a quiet man but that was taking it too far and a lot of people were really irritated with him for keeping his wife's pregnancy a secret. I wasn't irritated but I was shocked b/c of course I had to tell everyone as soon as I discovered I was pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
haha, people did the same thing to me! "hey where's your boyfriend?"...uhhh...long gone. That went on for like 6 months..it got old having to explain.
Yea me too... for years actually... I guess maybe I should have advertised!!!

And thanks to people who responded about why they advertised. I understand a bit better now and agree that it was right for them not to put their life on hold. But the question is, did it work?

Men, are you more prone to asking women out if they told you of their newly available status?

I've actually had a guy do this to me once. He hit me up on some social networking site and said, "Hey let's get together. Oh BTW I'm single now " I thought that was such a cheap shot, not necessarily because he advertised but mostly because I already suspected the guy of being a playa... and I'm a playa hatah... nevermind that he was super handsome and 1000% my type... I still barf in his general direction.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post

Men, are you more prone to asking women out if they told you of their newly available status?

Yes, of course. I would never ask out any lady until I knew they were available. Which can be a problem since most will hide their status. It is like you never say you're unemployed when applying for a job.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
I tend to agree that women are more apt to post the "single" status. I've always found that women somehow feel that they aren't complete without a man or partner. I've been recently divorced and can't imagine getting serious too soon. I admit I joined "singles" dating sites but for the purpose of finding someone that shares the same activities I enjoy but have experienced only men with over active imaginations LOL... I am taking myself off these sites and know that I enjoy and embrace my independance ... so maybe that is the answer... discover who we are and what WE want before getting to involved in other relationships too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships