Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

When I was in 10th grade, there was a freshman girl at my high school that I had a thing for. As a lot of you probably know, I didn't have a girlfriend in high school. So, needless to say, I never dated her.

One of my friends in high school was also a grade behind me, just like this girl. Of course he knew I had a thing for her. After I graduated, they started dating. Do you think he purposely waited until I graduated so I wouldn't get jealous? Or do you think it's just a coincidence that their relationship started after I graduated?

I've heard other people say they want to date someone but they don't because they have a friend that's also interested in her and "they could never do that to their friend"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM

142 posts, read 238,597 times
She was a free agent so he was well within his rights to get with her at anytime. So I don't see it as an act of friendship just because he waited because he probabaly liked her as much as you did.

Of the 2 of you, you are the one that talks and thinks a lot and he is the one who listens and gets the girl. Ce la vie!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I hate to use the term "bro code" but I feel like that is a violation of it. Even worse is dating a good friend's ex, that's just over the top to be frank.

Folks who break that 'code', to me, are the prime example of "with friends like these, who needs enemies?"

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Are you still friends with him? If not, what does it matter? It's in the past now, move on. If you're still friends, just ask him.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Sounds to me like your friend had the courage that you lacked. I never found a girlfriend that i didnt try for! Man up dude! Or its going to happen to you again and again!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hate to use the term "bro code" but I feel like that is a violation of it. Even worse is dating a good friend's ex, that's just over the top to be frank.

Folks who break that 'code', to me, are the prime example of "with friends like these, who needs enemies?"

Both you and CD need to have a reality check. Both of you are young but you have all these "rules" on what people should and shouldn't do.

Let's get this straight. CD never had the girl because he wouldn't make the first move and as a friend, he waited for you to make a move and you didn't. He decided since you didn't take any action with the girl, he would asked the girl out so there was no "bro code" broken.

You only have a "limited time" for the bro code and then it's broken.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
souns like nothing to fret over and he did nothing wrong.

Sounds like you never even tried, so you had no dibs on her. I'll sometimes call dibs on a girl im actively trying to get, and most friends respect that. "bro code" doesnt apply here, its been too long

Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
One of my friends in high school was also a grade behind me, just like this girl. Of course he knew I had a thing for her. After I graduated, they started dating. Do you think he purposely waited until I graduated so I wouldn't get jealous? Or do you think it's just a coincidence that their relationship started after I graduated?
The level of narcissism here is ridiculous. City, I can promise you that you were the last thing on this fellow's mind when he asked that girl out.

Seriously. Sounds harsh, but the vast majority of the people you run into in this life will not give a flying fart at a rolling donut about you, what you think, or how you feel about something. You're just not going to be a consideration in everyone else's lives. Get used to it.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
When I was in 10th grade, there was a freshman girl at my high school that I had a thing for. As a lot of you probably know, I didn't have a girlfriend in high school. So, needless to say, I never dated her.

I've heard other people say they want to date someone but they don't because they have a friend that's also interested in her and "they could never do that to their friend"
To be honest, I don't think either one of them had a single thought of you in mind at all when they started dating.

Why are you making something out of nothing?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
your opportunity had a shelf life and it expired when your friend took it. Your loss. Next time, if you really like a girl, remember, there are other guys wanting her too...so pursue her before someone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships