Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

And does it occur to anyone that even Harvard MBA's will be shredded to smithereens in the coming days?

The jobs are continuing to fly to BRIC countries and will continue their flight into the next decade.

And this is what every youngster out of college has to deal with today. And the jobless claims hit 450K today, thanks to all the diligent and successful adults who foreclosured a million homes they clearly could not afford.

A young man or woman living at home pushing it or a baby boomer with wrecked credit declaring bankruptcy and million such wonder kids of the golden 60s/70s generation. It's an easy call as to who needs the stick, in my book. Sorry, Johnny Lennon and Woodstock are not coming back and thank you for pulverizing the economy and the young people's future, but no thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The feeling is mutual. They won't hesitate to offer help "for free", and the kids don't take them for granted. It's somehow written in their upbringing. I guess seeing a Dad man up and putting the entire college tuition fee out of his pocket generates immense respect and a sense of responsibility to grow the tree of the seed he plants.

My pops started his school fund for both of us when we were still in diapers. And we went to one of the costliest engineering schools, given that engineering costs a fortune in itself. And both of us walked out with zero student debt. Imagine what that offers for a kid who walks out of college with zero burden on the shoulders.

And despite this, should the job market be bad, these parents will do everything they can to keep you afloat. Luckily both of us got snagged by campus interviewers back in the day, when we were in the penultimate semesters.

And they do all this not becoz they are "dumb", becoz they felt it was their responsibility to do so.

And with both of us out of the country, my mother is laboriously educating the kids of my Dad's brothers. She has taken it upon herself coz she feels it's a good deed. Besides she can afford to educate them. And my uncles are not like my father, when it comes to diligently guiding their children into good careers.
I like this dynamic. Too many children go on about how their parents owe them this and that, and the parents go on about how the children owe them this that and the other thing. Instead of trying to keep score, having a relationship where there's enough respect on both sides that both can just give whatever they can seems so much nicer. I prefer that kind of relationship to the landlord/tenant relationship that many families have. I can't even give or take a hot pocket to/from my grandparents without them feeling like I owe them or they owe me something. I fee like we're almost running a business, not a family under the same roof trying to pull resources together through hard times.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Over the past 5 years, I've come across people between the ages of 20 to 28 who still live with their parents. The most recent example being a young engineer recently hired at my place of work. He's 28 years old, making over $100K/year and still living with his parents. He may have student loans, but with his salary it's highly probable that he has the resources to be on his own and out of the nest.
It's because the parents don't always want their kids to be independent on their own. Although that's not the only reason, some people get along real well with their parents and would rather live with them than alone. Our culture, as individualistic as it may seem, really actually looks down on living alone.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My students are affluent doctoral students. There is no excuse they are living at home without paying room and board. Most were bought brand new Benz's or BMW's on their 16th birthday and are merely delaying adulthood by writing their dissertations. The job market for doctorates in history is nil and they know it. Most have never held a job. Everyone of my generation had part time jobs at McDonalds when they were 16.

"Maybe they won't get into their dream grad school as a result."

They are in grad school already, a prestigious one at that.

Delaying adulthood is their mantra. Sorry, I don't have sympathy.
Oh... history doctorate students.... I retract my sympathy too. LOL. But I guess they will have no other option but to stay at home waiting for their inheritance.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's because the parents don't always want their kids to be independent on their own. Although that's not the only reason, some people get along real well with their parents and would rather live with them than alone. Our culture, as individualistic as it may seem, really actually looks down on living alone.
I have to admit that I prefer living in a household to living alone. If I weren't married I would definitely opt for living with parents/grandparents for the company. I'd obviously pay rent or utilities or hold up a job and pull my own weight, but I prefer living with someone cause I feel more secure both for their sake and my own.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My students are affluent doctoral students. There is no excuse they are living at home without paying room and board. Most were bought brand new Benz's or BMW's on their 16th birthday and are merely delaying adulthood by writing their dissertations. The job market for doctorates in history is nil and they know it. Most have never held a job. Everyone of my generation had part time jobs at McDonalds when they were 16.

"Maybe they won't get into their dream grad school as a result."

They are in grad school already, a prestigious one at that.

Delaying adulthood is their mantra. Sorry, I don't have sympathy.
Getting a job at McDonald's is not that easy anymore. There are many adults that are taking the jobs teens used to get. You cannot compare today's economy to the one you grew up with. Also, you must have gotten your doctorate in history, so, you can understand that there are students still interested in obtaining one. They are probably hoping the economy will turn around or some of the professors will retire and open up some jobs for them. I doubt the extremely wealthy of your generation worked at McDonald's either.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And does it occur to anyone that even Harvard MBA's will be shredded to smithereens in the coming days?

The jobs are continuing to fly to BRIC countries and will continue their flight into the next decade.

And this is what every youngster out of college has to deal with today. And the jobless claims hit 450K today, thanks to all the diligent and successful adults who foreclosured a million homes they clearly could not afford.

A young man or woman living at home pushing it or a baby boomer with wrecked credit declaring bankruptcy and million such wonder kids of the golden 60s/70s generation. It's an easy call as to who needs the stick, in my book. Sorry, Johnny Lennon and Woodstock are not coming back and thank you for pulverizing the economy and the young people's future, but no thanks
exactly!! you're a smart man antlered!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
I guess we should all just go back to the single-income household so there would be more employment to go around. I've also noticed a trend towards 2 people with part-time incomes. Maybe this is the solution for youngsters.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 8,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
25 and 28 is young, yet old enough to stop being a burden to the parents who've fed, clothed, raised, and showed you the difference between right and wrong.
What right do parents have to force children to be born into a cruel competitive darwinian world red in tooth and claw? Parents selfishly force children to go to the slaughter of life, just so they can pursue their narcissistic dream of immortality through their genes. This is a monstrous world no sane being would chose to be born to! Compare the chaos of life to the serene nothingness of nonexistence of the peaceful empty vacuum! If you ask me for disturbing the beautiful dreamless sleep of nonexistence parents owe children a lifetime of welfare or a very late-term abortion!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Hahaha, my great uncle was born January 1 1900 at 12:30 A.M. He didn't get married until 40 and lived with my great grandparents on their farm. My dad and my uncles had really good Christmas's because of him!
As a matter of fact, I still have at least ONE! It's a 1930's vintage Benjamin pellet pump. I had it professionally restored by a local EXPERT for peanuts. He did it as a favor practically. I have no idea where he found the NOS seals either? Damn, that's old! LOL
Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships