Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 AM

97 posts, read 161,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Your experience speaks for just that: you. You can't possibly believe you know the best thing for all families and adult children.
Not really, when I live in a large metro area like DC. With a high population of 20 and 30-somethings. This isn't the Mid-West and have many examples up and down to take my opinions from. I also experienced with many different cultures in this area and can speak to that too. The kids with good jobs who stay at home blow a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSB13 View Post
Not really, when I live in a large metro area like DC. With a high population of 20 and 30-somethings. This isn't the Mid-West and have many examples up and down to take my opinions from. I also experienced with many different cultures in this area and can speak to that too. The kids with good jobs who stay at home blow a lot of money.
Still the limited POV of just one person among nearly 7 billion.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
I know a lot of people have talked about the kids with a job who stay at home to save money and buy a house down the rode. Being 27 and living in the DC area I know that to be BS.
I lived at home until I was 25. Here in San Antonio, the culture is much different than in DC. Kids live at home until they get married. My husband lived with his mom too. This is the norm in the Hispanic culture but there are some who are moving away towards this. Granted, I'm now 29 and I've lived away for 4 years.

Quote:
The ones who go out to live on their own are doing much better, because they really understand the value of a dollar. I know a few people that I went to college with who make just as much as me. They live at home with no debt, but not really saving anything. They drive $60k BMWs and drop $300 a night at the club, just makes for a really awkward convo to the girl you meet that night that you have to be quiet because you live at home.
I lived at home and really knew the value of a dollar because my parents instilled in me from a early age about financial responsibility. I started working at age 16. I didn't buy a new car, go clubbing or spend my money frivolously. I was too busy working and going to school to pay for the things I needed and also saving up for an emergency fund and opening up a retirement account. The salaries here in San Antonio are much lower and to have that head start was awesome. Once the hubby and I got our apartment, we had monies to get furniture and other items. 4 years later, we bought a home.

Quote:
The parents who think their kids are saving money don't know the whole truth.
My parents always had me save for a rainy day. My dad got laid off one time and what helped us was we had an emergency fund. I have never been laid off nor my husband and hope to never experience it but we have still have that rainy day money just in case. One time I had to be taken by ambulance to the emergency room and I didn't have insurance. I negotiated down the bill and paid cash from the emergency fund.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
I know a lot of people have talked about the kids with a job who stay at home to save money and buy a house down the rode. Being 27 and living in the DC area I know that to be BS. The ones who go out to live on their own are doing much better, because they really understand the value of a dollar. I know a few people that I went to college with who make just as much as me. They live at home with no debt, but not really saving anything. They drive $60k BMWs and drop $300 a night at the club, just makes for a really awkward convo to the girl you meet that night that you have to be quiet because you live at home. I have lived with roommates since college in the city and I am miles ahead of kids my age who stayed at home after school. The parents who think their kids are saving money don't know the whole truth.

I know several young professionals who live and work in Philadelphia. Some of them are fiscally responsible and doing quite well. A few of them blow through money like it's water.

Generalizations just don't work.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
I think it's ok to stay with parents until let's say 29, 30 is too old, hell your youth is almost over by then. but unless you're in college you'd better not be a burden anymore.

Personally I moved out at 19. And although I lived with my sister for 6 months until I went to college I payed rent, cooked 19 meals out of 20 of my own food, did my own laundry etc, aswell as acting partly as an extra parent for my nephew, helping him with homework etc. In short I did my part of the household.

And now I've been in college since I was 20, and when I finally got to live in a place of my own, well let's say the word "Freedom" got a whole new meaning.

Btw how is it people are supposed to have finished college at 22 in the US?
Here we go through "gymnasium"(highschool) when we're 16-18 start college the earliest at 19 unless we get conscripted into the army for a year. and then from 19 to get a good college degree you'd be minimum 24. but for example engineering student's like myself almost never manage to finnish all the courses in just 5 years, only 10% are able to do this because the studies are too gruesome to take in during the short time we're supposed to. so 90% finishes after the set time or never. I mean sure there are bachelor degrees but they don't usually lead very far, and the titles they bring here are rather modest. I know several people going for double masters degrees for a 7-8 years study-time, I'm going for a masters in engineering and a bachelor in economics myself... and wont be finished until I'm 26-27...

Do people consider bachelor degrees as being highly educated in the US?
It's unfortunate, but here in the States, a Bachelor's degree, now, is the equivalent of a high school diploma back in the 60s.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 AM

97 posts, read 161,286 times
I agree that is just my POV and every place is different. Also in DC a lot of people don't get married until they are in their 30s.

I wish there was a study that covered the last few decades to see who is better off, the ones who stay at home for awhile or the ones that move out right after college. I bet it is pretty even either way.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
This kid has access to the bank statement of every other kid in DC. That's what it means to be so advanced from the other kids, eh?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
There is nothing wrong with living with your parents. They are still young. And it would be a smart thing to do. To get your debt smaller before moving out. Or to at least collect money so that you can buy a property with the money you saved up.

I should also mention. That some jobs do force the person to move out indefinitely. But still if you have good parents you would want to see them and keep in contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's not the 70s anymore. The economic future for many is not bright. I had to stay with my folks from January 2009 to July 2010 because of this economy. Things still aren't great but I'm out on my own again.
$50,000 - $100,000 (and counting) of college debt + bleak economy & job market = living with parents to save up & pay off debt asap

Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,889 times
This thread is a mess and moving too quickly to follow, but here goes anyway...

Even after taking a careful look at people defending living at home, man, 50k-100k of debt and that's why you can't move out? Why do you have that much debt for college in the first place?! Didn't you think about that before you chose your college? I picked a college based on the fact that I needed loans, but I wanted them small, so I left college with under 15k in loans only a few years ago!

None of the reasons people are using to defend living at home make sense to me. They all seem like cop-outs. I am so with the OP on this thread that it isn't even funny, and I am not much older than the ages quoted in this thread! I am a child of the 80/90s!

Okay, I take one thing back...culturally, I understand living at home. I have close friends of other cultures and faiths and I don't even bat an eye when three or four generations live under the same roof. But that isn't my culture, so I wouldn't be able to understand it if other people I knew did that.

I moved out at 18 and never looked back, except for a two-month period after my mom died. My dad was all alone, so I lived with him--as his roommate--for two months. I couldn't stand being an adult and treated like a kid, so I left when I could.

By 23, I was married, owned a home, had two full-time *careers*, two car payments, and divorced (heh).

I met my now-wife at 25, and she was out on her own at 18 and never looked back. I met my wife's sister who lived at home until 31 because her parents wouldn't "let her" move out until then. She never had a b/f, and married the first guy to make eye contact with her. She is so socially undeveloped, and I attribute this to her beind held hostage as a kid in her parents home until she was 31.

Geesh.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Even after taking a careful look at people defending living at home, man, 50k-100k of debt and that's why you can't move out? Why do you have that much debt for college in the first place?!!
Maybe med school, law, dental come to mind.

Quote:
Okay, I take one thing back...culturally, I understand living at home. I have close friends of other cultures and faiths and I don't even bat an eye when three or four generations live under the same roof. But that isn't my culture, so I wouldn't be able to understand it if other people I knew did that.
Thank you for saying that. For me, it was cultural. I left home and got married at 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships