Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM

39 posts, read 91,358 times

Advertisements

I have seen this situation happen twice in the past few years and, quite frankly, I don't understand the women's actions.

A married couple have been together for several years. The woman cheats on her husband. After awhile, the woman admits this to her husband and leaves him for her new partner. The newly dumped husband, obviously devastated, picks himself up and moves forward. By this I mean he enters the dating world.

The ex-wife gets, wait, here it comes, yes - JEALOUS. What??? Excuse me, but who cheated on who and abandoned her husband. What right does the ex have to be jealous?

So what is he supposed to do? Never date again and be lonely? Is it the "I don't want you, but I don't want you to have anyone else either" syndrome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoast911 View Post
I have seen this situation happen twice in the past few years and, quite frankly, I don't understand the women's actions.

A married couple have been together for several years. The woman cheats on her husband. After awhile, the woman admits this to her husband and leaves him for her new partner. The newly dumped husband, obviously devastated, picks himself up and moves forward. By this I mean he enters the dating world.

The ex-wife gets, wait, here it comes, yes - JEALOUS. What??? Excuse me, but who cheated on who and abandoned her husband. What right does the ex have to be jealous?

So what is he supposed to do? Never date again and be lonely? Is it the "I don't want you, but I don't want you to have anyone else either" syndrome?
You phrased it wrong. The comment the wife made should go something like this............ "I need to FIND myself"! Am I right guys? LOL

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
It happens just as often with the genders in the opposite roles. And lots of humans are guilty of it.

it's one thing to walk away, but when it becomes clear you can't go back, that can cause a shock of recognition that maybe what you left wasn't as bad as you once thought. Just human nature...

Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
I agree. This happens to both genders, not just from women.

I suppose its a "I don`t want you, but I don`t want anyone else to have you either" type of thing.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,148 times
Yea, I'm not seeing the double standard.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

It's not just women who do this. My ex brother in law left my sister for another man (after 17 years of marriage, he decided he was gay ) and then threw a fit when she started dating and remarried. I guess he thought he'd ruined her for all men.

When my husband and I separated, a friend clued me in to a problem with his match.com profile so I joined to get a copy for my lawyer. HE threw a fit because I was on a dating site!!!

I can, kind of, see this type of reaction if the person who was left moves on quickly since they didn't have time to prepare for the separation because moving on quickly is evidence they never cared in the first place but if you're the one who chose to move on, you need to just move on and let the other person have their space. One thing that struck me when my husband left was how fast he entered the dating game again. That told me I never mattered in the first place to him. Which is why our marriage probably won't last any longer than it takes to get the kids into college. Once the kids are gone, there will be nothing to hold this together and I know where I stand. I'm replacable in about two weeks. It sucks to know you're that easily replacable. I think we'd all like to think we matter more than that.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I agree. This happens to both genders, not just from women.

I suppose its a "I don`t want you, but I don`t want anyone else to have you either" type of thing.
I don't think they want them. I think they want to think of themselves as desirable. If I leave you and you just move on to the next person, I guess I'm not the catch I thought I was. At the very least it means you cared no more for me than I cared for you. Which, really, shouldn't come as any surprise but it does.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I don't think it has any other motive except for

"I still have feelings for you and am used to you being mine." Plain and simple. It's not about regret or some pathological crap or gender-based or whatever...it's just that you can still get twinges of feeling for someone you obviously cared enough at one point to marry.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think they want them. I think they want to think of themselves as desirable. If I leave you and you just move on to the next person, I guess I'm not the catch I thought I was. At the very least it means you cared no more for me than I cared for you. Which, really, shouldn't come as any surprise but it does.
Yes, or perhaps a " I don`t want to see you get on with your life, without me."

Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
We're all babies in love. That includes that we all get really childish at times when it comes to love. We lack the rational side when it comes to matters to the heart, so something like being jealous because your ex-hsuband who you cheated on is dating is entirely possible. (Not saying it's "right", just "possible.") I'd like to echo this happens in everyone, not just women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships