Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times

Advertisements

Social dominance is a turnoff for me, I'd be more attracted to the silent, more thoughtful one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You're seeing the alpha male/beta male struggle play out. Alpha males have the characteristics that women are subconsciously attracted to. Hence, an average looking alpha male will be much more successful with the women that a good looking beta male.

Why You Want to Have Sex with Tucker Max « Shrink Talk
So what happens then, when a female is attracted to a beta male, over an alpha male? (Hey, it happens! I've seen it, in action )

I'll concede, the bolded part above is certainly a good and accurate "rule of thumb", but not a universal, absolute, or unbreakable law of nature...there will always be exceptions, to that rule...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Here is another PERFECT example. I guarantee you EVERY single one of these guys is an ALPHA. Why, you say? The whole time you are pushed to your absolute limit. More like above your limit. They are begging for you to step off and ring the bell. In fact, they encourage it. They only want the guys who want it more than anything and will do anything to get it. This weeds out all beta males. Men already knew that though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DeSyl1CGIQ
You are aware most of those men do not make the cut?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Social dominance is a turnoff for me, I'd be more attracted to the silent, more thoughtful one.
And many players know that. So you would be attracted to the wrong type.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Here's the thing, it's not the "bad boy" that attracts the females, it's just that being a bad boy pretty much requires the attributes that make someone an alpha male, and THAT attracts the girls.

You can be an alpha male without being a bad boy, but not really the other way around.
If alpha personality is what attacts girls romantically, then how exactly do you explain girls who are attracted to the more "beta" personality, specifically over alpha?

I know and freely acknowledge that female attraction to all things beta is much rarer than the usual and more typical female attraction to the alpha, but beta-based attraction is itself also not without any precedent whatsoever, if you take my meaning And what do you think about the ladies, who "love beta", vs. alpha?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 02-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Clarified language

Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
And many players know that. So you would be attracted to the wrong type.
If she has any sense, she'll see through the act. Further, players have a harder time pulling this off. Any idiot can be a blustering, loud jackass.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
I have friends who are gregarious alpha males that I would never date because they are just not in shape. No matter how funny, smart, or gregarious they are there is no way I would touch their pole with a ten foot pole. If I were fat or unshapely I would probably not mind as much that they were also out of shape.

However there is some truth to what you say because I have noticed that a lot of good looking women do go for them. But I think it's because these women automatically and wrongfully assume that "loud, funny guy" = "24/7 fun and spontaneity in a relationship". It is not necessarily true. They also assume that "more talking" = "more intelligence" which is also not true.

I've also noticed that women attracted to loud men tend to be less cerebral, and more social types. And they've dated a lot of good looking guys who screwed them over so maybe they are trying out a new formula.

I do realize the benefit of being associated with a loud alpha person, which is that they will bring you into their social circles. Some people love having those connections. However, I do not like any social circles so for me it's a detriment to have to share my attention-seeking friend with 100 other people in the room. In the end I find it to be a low quality friendship... though easy to maintain on a superficial level.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
If she has any sense, she'll see through the act. Further, players have a harder time pulling this off. Any idiot can be a blustering, loud jackass.
Yeah, I guess you don't understand real players. The type who women LOVE. Because they carry every sort of act required to sleep with any woman.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
Is there anything that would attract a woman to a regular guy more than his social dominance? (I say regular guy, b.c we are taking the variables of money, status , out of this equation)

It seems that most women will try to bag a guy who converses a lot with others, male and female. Whether or not if anything of intelligent value comes out of his mouth much.

This is related to a previous thread today that talked about feminizing men. Back in the day it didn't matter as much if men were good at socializing. Today, it is a deal breaker for most women.

I've seen really attractive men (no homo) who can't get a girlfriend b.c they are not socially dominant. They do however get one night stands for their looks sometimes. I've known some really out of shape, I mean really out of shape guys, get some pretty dang good lookin gals , b.c they were Socially dominant. I'm not talking about people who get married when they are thinner and then the guy ends up getting fat. I'm talking about two single people where the woman will choose the guy who can't take care of himself physically but knows how to start and keep a conversation going , over the guy who takes care of his body but doesn't know how to start up conversations with strangers or keep up with small talk as easily.

Women will always tend to pick the guy who interrupts conversations and will demand that others listen while he speaks. While the men who are more humble and courteous , will just let the others talk and not want to be rude to interrupt, and probably couldn't give a crap what the lame discussion is about, will have a hard time getting a lady.

Maybe it's b.c when a woman's main role in society was to be good mothers, the woman would take care of the socializing of the neighbors and family and friends and send out the invites for a get together. And the husband was just there when got off work to start mingling with the guests as well.

Where as now a days, women do a lot of socializing all the time, while they are at work. Before they were sadly alone at the home for most of the day or with the kids.

Quite interested in hearing what you all have to say about this , especially from the women.
sounds like you're having trouble getting a date?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
If alpha personality is what attacts girls romantically, then how exactly do you explain girls who are attracted to the more "beta" personality, specifically over alpha?
Depends. Among other things, they may be especially introverted girls who wouldn't do well with the extremely extroverted alpha males, and sometimes it's the alpha female looking for a more submissive mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships