Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We've heard and read about the 'bro code' which was probably started by some dude with serious esteem issues.
Do women have/use a similar code amongst themselves? Have you ever trumped down the "girl code" card?
There is no "girl code". And any "bro-code" gets tossed as boys grow into men...although sometimes that takes awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
The exact of opposite applies in my social circle.
To me, it means that if your buddies invite you to golfing and then a girl wants to go out (not your girlfriend mind you) or maybe wants a booty call, your buddies take precedence over you. Or, if you've arranged to meet your buddies at a certain time, don't show up late cos you were with some chick. I've had a friend violate that plenty of times and it's pretty damn annoying, not to mention it sends the message he'd rather have a cheap lay than hang out with his friends and it's not like he's with some Playboy model either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I can think of about a million instances where people of either gender follow no such code. People will pursue whatever they feel is most important. To a 14-year old girl, getting a guy's attention is going to FAR outweigh hanging out with friends.
You don't think a 14 year old girl follows a certain unwritten, perhaps subconscious set of rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
so under the code, any girl a single man dates is a ho? Or is it only hos that come after bros, while respectable women come before bros?
"Ho" is a derogatory term and if someone can come up with a term like "bros before hoes" then I invite them to. I'm just using what I've got to work with.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm just using what I've got to work with.
Yeah...and that's the whole problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah...and that's the whole problem.
lol
argumentative today are we?

So you're telling me that in your circle of friends, there's no set of unwritten, subconscious rules that you all follow?

For instance, let's say you've got Friend A and Friend B. Friend A and Friend B are very close friends, and Friend A is seeing a guy. Then, one day, Friend A breaks things off with the guy. A day later, Friend B has a sexual encounter with said guy.

Would you not find that somewhat... wrong? And if not, what if you were Friend A?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
You don't think a 14 year old girl follows a certain unwritten, perhaps subconscious set of rules?
Nope. I've been a 14-year old girl, and work with kids in that age group of either gender. Attention from the opposite sex (assuming that's where your attraction lies) is generally of PARAMOUNT importance at that stage of emotional and social development. While there may be some outliers who have either developed beyond that point by that age, or who are a bit underdeveloped for that age, yeah, most 14-year old girls, if faced with choosing between spending time with a boy who might be interested and a group of girlfriends, will choose the boy who might be interested.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
lol
argumentative today are we?

So you're telling me that in your circle of friends, there's no set of unwritten, subconscious rules that you all follow?
Certainly not. Never has been. You need to learn that it's best to think for oneself. Stop assuming that every silly book or internet article was written for anything other than to raise eyebrows and make a few $$ for the author.

Quote:
For instance, let's say you've got Friend A and Friend B. Friend A and Friend B are very close friends, and Friend A is seeing a guy. Then, one day, Friend A breaks things off with the guy. A day later, Friend B has a sexual encounter with said guy.

Would you not find that somewhat... wrong? And if not, what if you were Friend A?
What does that situation have to do with anything? There is no general "code" that women follow...that is specific to women. Men can be have totally different moral values than other men...as can women.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
There is no general "code" that women follow.
Other than "don't dick over your friends" which should go without saying among grown-ups of all stripes. It's the Golden Rule--there's a reason why it's a classic.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Yes. I think observing the golden rule and basic manners is more appropriate than saying "bros before hos" or the reverse (which, yes, are very crude but does not bother me in certain context). Like fleetie says, the golden rule is a classic.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Not that I'm aware of.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Anyone immature enough to follow a "code" when dating will spend a lonely life, unless we're talking about 14 year old kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships