Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

There's not a big difference between couples and friends. Think about it for a second.

There are times when I went out and did a social event with a group of people (a mix of couples and friends). Aside from kissing/hand-holding, you'd never guess who was dating and who was just friends. The way the couple interacted with each other was not much different than the way they interact with friends. To an outsider at these social activities, they would have a hard time guessing who the couples were if it weren't for the public displays of affection.

Long story, but there was a time when I had to pretend to be in a relationship with one of my friends. The way I interacted with her was not much different than the way I normally interact with her. The only difference is we went shopping and pretended it was our anniversary. I'm pretty sure we had the people at the store fooled, without much effort.

The way I see it, boyfriend/girlfriend is just a term people use as a self-esteem booster to make them feel better about themselves. Sure, they call each other boyfriend and girlfriend, but their relationship is not much different than a relationship with a friend.

A boyfriend/girlfriend is just a friend who you happen to be attracted to. But even that's an oversimplified view. Two friends could be attracted to each other but not be a couple for whatever reason.

Another poster made a thread about how he's been going to dinner with a girl but they're just friends, and he was worried she might get the wrong idea and think they're dating. If there was such a distinct difference between friends and couples, it would be clear to her where they stand. The point is they're doing something friends or couples could do. Whether they were friends or dating, what difference does it make? Either way, they're going out to dinner. As I said on that thread, a boyfriend/girlfriend is just a glorified friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Your latest theory is duly noted. Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Theories are all well and good but nothing can substitute for experiencing the real thing.

Once you get out of the house and start meeting real people you might have a chance to find out what real life is all about.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 AM

90 posts, read 294,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The way I see it, boyfriend/girlfriend is just a term people use as a self-esteem booster to make them feel better about themselves. Sure, they call each other boyfriend and girlfriend, but their relationship is not much different than a relationship with a friend.
I don't have sex with my friends.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Theories, like stereotypes, are great for generalizing. They are worthless when applying them to individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamoutloud View Post
I don't have sex with my friends.
I doubt you have sex with anyone, since you admitted your dating life is essentially nonexistent.

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
There are people in relationships who don't seem to like one another very much; it's all about the sex. How do these people fit into your theory?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Theories are all well and good but nothing can substitute for experiencing the real thing.

Once you get out of the house and start meeting real people you might have a chance to find out what real life is all about.
My OP makes it clear that I've gotten out and met real people.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There are people in relationships who don't seem to like one another very much; it's all about the sex. How do these people fit into your theory?
Friends with benefits I guess. But maybe not even that since they don't like each other. I guess you could say they have a bad relationship and they're only in it for the sex.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM

90 posts, read 294,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I doubt you have sex with anyone, since you admitted your dating life is essentially nonexistent.
Dating life? Not true. I've been going out on on lots of dates lately, but I'm not in a relationship, so I'm not having sex right now. But back when I was in a relationship... I was having sex with my boyfriend. And still not with my friends. Funny how that works.

Nice attempt at a personal attack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships