Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Reputation: 8681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
...The PC mindset wasn't even around with boomer teens and twenties in the 60s and 70s.
For some it was...

...but it wasn't because it was PC - it was because it was the way they were raised and/or educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Reputation: 8681
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I was in high school in the mid 70's. We didnt have cell phones to call some one every 10 minutes, or texting some one every 5 minutes. If they were available, i guess we would of done the same thing as today. But im glad we didn't. All those phone calls ans texts would of ruined mine and my girlfriends time at the Drive-in.
But in-between girlfriends we had the Apple II, the Commodore 64 and 56k modems to contend with.

Hey, what can I say - once a nerd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
Reputation: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
But in-between girlfriends we had the Apple II, the Commodore 64 and 56k modems to contend with.

Hey, what can I say - once a nerd...
My mom was a computer programmer in the early 80's and man... people sure thought we were cool for having that Commodore 64.

I remember liking a boy in high school and literally biding my time for months, if not years, to actually be in contact with him. I feel like kids these days are much more assertive; both males and females. They like someone, they text them or start hitting them up on Facebook. In my day, a girl liked someone, they passed notes or told friends to quietly check around to see if anyone had heard whether or not the guy maybe liked her back. Then the girl would have friends put out the word that she had a crush on the guy and it would go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Reputation: 8681
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
My mom was a computer programmer in the early 80's and man... people sure thought we were cool for having that Commodore 64.


I remember the day I got my first Commodore disk drive, to replace the cassette-tape drive - it was like waking up next to a super model.

Quote:
I remember liking a boy in high school and literally biding my time for months, if not years, to actually be in contact with him. I feel like kids these days are much more assertive; both males and females. They like someone, they text them or start hitting them up on Facebook. In my day, a girl liked someone, they passed notes or told friends to quietly check around to see if anyone had heard whether or not the guy maybe liked her back. Then the girl would have friends put out the word that she had a crush on the guy and it would go from there.
Perhaps that long, exhaustive process actually served a purpose - sort of a vetting process. You had to go through multiple check-points - friends, parents, friends of parents and parents of friends (each of whom had the opportunity to rant or rave about you two) - before you were sure it was "good".

With today's instant-on tech, there are no such speed-bumps on the way to the superhighway. Hence, the all-too-familiar crash scenes on the side of the road (and in the forums).

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Reputation: 6913
I am unarguably part of Generation Y (born 1986). My parents are between the Baby Boom generation and Generation X (born 1961 and 1963). They met at 18 and 16 respectively, paired together almost immediately, and had been either dating or married ever since until my father passed away in 2006, so I can't get a good perspective from them. I also think dating culture varies almost as much between socio-economic class as it does generation. Lower-class people seem to have a different set of norms regarding love and relationships than upper-middle class people do.

What strikes me about dating today is how few people, especially in their high school and college years, actually date. When I was in college, a lot of both girls and boys preferred to "hook up" at parties (usually under the influence of alcohol) to fulfill their physical desires rather than actually enter into a relationship. The line between "girlfriend" and "girl who's my friend" is definitely being blurred. One other change that has occurred right before my eyes is ironically girls have gotten a lot more paranoid about "stalkers" and "creeps". I usually don't go to clubs or bars, but have heard that girls usually hang out with their friends (facilitated by text messaging) and only their friends and are wary of strangers ("randoms") approaching them.

What I conclude from this is 1) dating is dying, at least among the college and high school age groups, and replaced by non-comittal sexual encounters, usually while under the influence of alcohol and 2) romance and the infatuation of newly-paired couples is dying with it - how much "romance" do you think can occur between two just-before-passed-out drunk people?, and 3) within groups of friends ("cliques") the rules are a lot less strict though from the outside they are impenetrable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
 
6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I am unarguably part of Generation Y (born 1986). My parents are between the Baby Boom generation and Generation X (born 1961 and 1963). They met at 18 and 16 respectively, paired together almost immediately, and had been either dating or married ever since until my father passed away in 2006, so I can't get a good perspective from them. I also think dating culture varies almost as much between socio-economic class as it does generation. Lower-class people seem to have a different set of norms regarding love and relationships than upper-middle class people do.

What strikes me about dating today is how few people, especially in their high school and college years, actually date. When I was in college, a lot of both girls and boys preferred to "hook up" at parties (usually under the influence of alcohol) to fulfill their physical desires rather than actually enter into a relationship. The line between "girlfriend" and "girl who's my friend" is definitely being blurred. One other change that has occurred right before my eyes is ironically girls have gotten a lot more paranoid about "stalkers" and "creeps". I usually don't go to clubs or bars, but have heard that girls usually hang out with their friends (facilitated by text messaging) and only their friends and are wary of strangers ("randoms") approaching them.

What I conclude from this is 1) dating is dying, at least among the college and high school age groups, and replaced by non-comittal sexual encounters, usually while under the influence of alcohol and 2) romance and the infatuation of newly-paired couples is dying with it - how much "romance" do you think can occur between two just-before-passed-out drunk people?, and 3) within groups of friends ("cliques") the rules are a lot less strict though from the outside they are impenetrable.
This is a good post. Much of what you said is true. I have a thread about how it can be hard to tell the difference between couples and friends.

I'm young (younger than you...I was born in 1991). I think you might be onto something when you say people are more paranoid about creepy people these days. I don't remember the word "creeper" being popular until I was 16. But I recently found out my 12 year old cousin uses the word creeper. What's the world coming to? I guess they start young these days.

And when I was in high school, I remember a guy saying he doesn't have girlfriends...he talks to girls and hooks up with them. A lot of people in our generation think like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I am unarguably part of Generation Y (born 1986). My parents are between the Baby Boom generation and Generation X (born 1961 and 1963). They met at 18 and 16 respectively, paired together almost immediately, and had been either dating or married ever since until my father passed away in 2006, so I can't get a good perspective from them. I also think dating culture varies almost as much between socio-economic class as it does generation. Lower-class people seem to have a different set of norms regarding love and relationships than upper-middle class people do.

What strikes me about dating today is how few people, especially in their high school and college years, actually date. When I was in college, a lot of both girls and boys preferred to "hook up" at parties (usually under the influence of alcohol) to fulfill their physical desires rather than actually enter into a relationship. The line between "girlfriend" and "girl who's my friend" is definitely being blurred. One other change that has occurred right before my eyes is ironically girls have gotten a lot more paranoid about "stalkers" and "creeps". I usually don't go to clubs or bars, but have heard that girls usually hang out with their friends (facilitated by text messaging) and only their friends and are wary of strangers ("randoms") approaching them.

What I conclude from this is 1) dating is dying, at least among the college and high school age groups, and replaced by non-comittal sexual encounters, usually while under the influence of alcohol and 2) romance and the infatuation of newly-paired couples is dying with it - how much "romance" do you think can occur between two just-before-passed-out drunk people?, and 3) within groups of friends ("cliques") the rules are a lot less strict though from the outside they are impenetrable.
They're paranoid precisely because they put themselves in these situations. For all the liberation that we have, I have the suspicious feeling that in the year 2011 we are still oppressed and oppressed in some ways we weren't before.

Yeah I know...it's really frustrating meeting women in clubs or bars because they just talk among their friends or text (ban those damn things, I tell ya!). Yeah approaching some girls they either ignore you or give you the 'leave me alone creep!' expression. The men are all horny tossers while the women are stuck up biatches, one makes the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 AM
 
Location: California
37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Reputation: 35013
I had to quit trying to give my daughter dating advice because nothing I said matched up with the what she was actually experiencing. Things I told her to do backfired, etc.

My son has old fashioned ideas. Once he took out a girl he met online (friend of a friend) and didn't kiss her and after she got home she texted him and said that since he didn't try anything she didn't see the point of the second date he invited her on. He's had rotten luck with girls, they either just want to be friends or are total sluts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Cardboard box
1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Reputation: 1344
Quote:
He's had rotten luck with girls, they either just want to be friends or are total sluts.
Welcome to the reality of American women in 2011. From what I can see, there literally are not any worth dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 AM
 
22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Reputation: 14745
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Welcome to the reality of American women in 2011. From what I can see, there literally are not any worth dating.
so when were the good old days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top