Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

We noticed that one couple who we used to go out with (for around 10 years) became more and more critical of each other as the years went by. He more than she.

I told my wife that I think they are gong to split up soon. She disagreed, since they generally seemed happy together and had been together for 25 years.

Sure enough, he left her about two years ago without even an attempt at reconciliation.

Be nice to each other. Don't degrade your spouse in front of others. If you feel that there is a problem, try to get help before it ends badly.

The only saving grace for them was that they had no children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I know one couple in particular who I got together with at Christmas and I honestly just think they're in a very unhappy marriage that's not going to get any better. I had Christmas dinner at their house and the atmosphere was very unpleasant and if they did speak to each other it was in an angry accusing tone of voice but for the most part they just avoided each other. Unfortunately millions of couples live their lives this way and they also have two daughters who also appeared to have difficulties communicating with both of their parents. I just don't even want to be around in that environment and I'm actually glad I only see them every couple of years because they live across the country from me.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
We had a friend from work and her husband over for dinner about a year ago. M is pleasant and bubbly in the office, so I was surprised when she started making little comments throughout dinner. "Oh, honey, nobody wants to hear that story," said with a lighthearted laugh. Things like that, just subtle little digs. It was awkward for me; I couldn't tell if he was truly laughing along or not. He didn't look irritated or hurt, but I would have been.

I'd like to invite them over one more time and see if maybe her behavior was just nervousness. She is nice at the office and is well-known for being one of the more chipper people at my office. But if she does it again I don't think we can hang out with them anymore.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM

63 posts, read 266,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I don't like it, and avoid such people whenever possible. Occasionally, such a couple truly does love and respect each other, but have this odd - to me - way to relating to each other. I can sometimes tolerate that subset if I know their relationship is good, and the the topics of bickering are minor and/or treated more with humor than contempt.
This describes my parents perfectly. They've been married close to 50 years now, and I can really only stand to be around them a few days because they rag on each other so much, it so gets on my nerves. I continue to be amazed they've been married this long.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
I have been around couples like that... irritating, childish and annoying.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I knew a couple like that. We aren't friends anymore but whenever they would start I would say, "It's time to go" and get up and leave. That pissed them off more.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

513 posts, read 896,866 times
it depends, if it is in jest and BOTH of them are actively participating and enjoying it then there is no problem. but if one is constantly downing the other and then the retaliation starts then no i don't want to be around them. as a matter of a fact we no longer hang out with several couples we know due to this. in my experience it is about a 50/50 split as to whether the antagonizer is male or female too.

my wife and i will pick at each other often. but we both know if we are going to far and stop at the first sign of the other getting upset. after nearly 17 years together we can tell exactly which buttons we can push and which to leave alone.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
This seems like virtually every TV couple in history, well since the Brady Bunch, at least.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Depends how you mean. Affectionately or seriously? My wife and I pick at each other affectionately all the time, but we both know we're just joking around. Couples that pick at each other for real all the time get on my nerves too. But humorously can be quite fun.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM

471 posts, read 1,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Depends how you mean. Affectionately or seriously? My wife and I pick at each other affectionately all the time, but we both know we're just joking around. Couples that pick at each other for real all the time get on my nerves too. But humorously can be quite fun.

This +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships