Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Take it easy with it, man. Don't worry about it so much. I'm sure you're a young guy with a lot of great times ahead of you, in romance and otherwise. I just wish I were still your age with all those great memories I have still ahead of me.

Trust me, the best is yet to come.
Well I am starting to feel old (30 in March) and single. I am happy at the place I am but at the same time I wouldn't mind having a sexy gal next to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
One of my favorite things to do is look for people who look like tourists, or don't seem to know where they are going, and then ask them for directions. It's a great way to meet people from all over the place and have conversations with them.
If the idea is just shooting the breeze, it works.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Well I am starting to feel old (30 in March) and single. I am happy at the place I am but at the same time I wouldn't mind having a sexy gal next to me.
No, I hear you. Loneliness is no fun. We've all been there. I'll tell you what's worse though, and that's being in a soul wrenching bad relationship, especially if it's one not so easy to walk away from. I've been there too. I mean we obviously don't know each other at all. We're just voices coming from one faraway place or another. You seem like a sincere guy and I happen to be older than you and trying very hard not to work at the moment. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by telling you that I know for a fact that you're social life will greatly improve. But I can say that most of the time it does, sooner or later. So why sweat it in the meantime? First of all, that's a real friggin' drag, and 2nd that's exactly what scare 'em away. You know that old song, "Girls just Wanna have fun"? No, probably not. The sentiment is the point, and it's true, and it's also true for men; though we do seem to take dating more seriously which would seem to be counter stereotype. If you make it fun you'll be better than a good % of the rest. No one knows when they meet someone for the first time whether it will be the start of something big or the beginning of the end. So why would anybody want to sweat over it? Just have fun.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
No, I hear you. Loneliness is no fun. We've all been there. I'll tell you what's worse though, and that's being in a soul wrenching bad relationship, especially if it's one not so easy to walk away from. I've been there too. I mean we obviously don't know each other at all. We're just voices coming from one faraway place or another. You seem like a sincere guy and I happen to be older than you and trying very hard not to work at the moment. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by telling you that I know for a fact that you're social life will greatly improve. But I can say that most of the time it does, sooner or later. So why sweat it in the meantime? First of all, that's a real friggin' drag, and 2nd that's exactly what scare 'em away. You know that old song, "Girls just Wanna have fun"? No, probably not. The sentiment is the point, and it's true, and it's also true for men; though we do seem to take dating more seriously which would seem to be counter stereotype. If you make it fun you'll be better than a good % of the rest. No one knows when they meet someone for the first time whether it will be the start of something big or the beginning of the end. So why would anybody want to sweat over it? Just have fun.

More truth has little been spoken. I knew my ex-wife for a total of three months before I marrried her. I was young and dumb and lookin' for love. Too bad I didn't find the real thing; just a stupid infatuation that she and I would have seen through had we taken the time to really get to know each other.

After of 15 years of trying to keep it together with a person I couldn't have been more incompatible with, she and I called it quits. It wasn't like we didn't try. What I learned: date long, have a good time, enjoy each other's company and avoid mixing that up with love.

My current wife and I did it the right way. We went out without any intention of falling in love, had a lot of fun and dated for a long time. Funny how that happens. Ten years later we are still so in love with each other we are called "sickening" by other couples.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
More truth has little been spoken. I knew my ex-wife for a total of three months before I marrried her. I was young and dumb and lookin' for love. Too bad I didn't find the real thing; just a stupid infatuation that she and I would have seen through had we taken the time to really get to know each other.

After of 15 years of trying to keep it together with a person I couldn't have been more incompatible with, she and I called it quits. I wasn't like we didn't try. What I learned: date long, have a good time, enjoy each other's company and avoid mixing that up with love.

My current wife and I did it the right way. We went out without any intention of falling in love, had a lot of fun and dated for a long time. Funny how that happens. Ten years later we are still so in love with each other we are called "sickening" by other couples.
Yeah, I didn't know the difference between love and what, infatuation, lust, whatever it was at the time. Funny thing is, at least what I've found to be true is, even when you do find real love, it's still going to take a lot of work to keep it together over many years. We do it, I do it I guess, 'cause I do truly love my wife. If we split I'd still be there for her as a good friend. We've got kids, and everyone who raises kids knows how hard it is. When I read a post from a young guy, who's lonely, don't want to diminish that; but who has one thing I don't, that I have to admit I really miss and that's freedom; which is also the luxury of only having themselves to worry about, I just think, Man, appreciate it while you still have it. Not to say that I didn't know loneliness and worry as a young man, I did. But I didn't have the benefit of perspective, as I realize neither does the OP.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times
Very good points. Thanks for your advice!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
I like to make a good joke. If something is going on near by I'll comment on it to them and sound funny. If I'm at a party, I'll come up to a girl or two and say hi, ask them who they know at the party. I'll make a joke about how many degrees of separation are between us since Chicago always has random new people around everywhere. Comment on something they're wearing and ask about it. Say you're going to grab a beer and ask if they want one. Once I have some more liquid courage in me I'll go up to a random girl and look her straight the eye and say "Hey, have a shot with me" Girls love shots and if they're worth your time they'll give you a window of time to talk to them because you're making a nice gesture to buy them a shot. Don't ask if you can buy them one, jus say "have a shot with me." I've never been turned down for the shot and they'll always talk with you for at least a little bit and if there's chemistry then you're smooth sailing.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
In what kind of mindset do you get into to just go up to random women and start talking to them? I am always screwing this up by not doing anything. I catch women looking at me and smiling but I sometimes get intimidated to go up to them.
You have to give yourself a chance atleast. Do you have anxiety issues?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Lol, you are not old. 30 is the new 20. Do you fly Emirates?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM

I actually like getting rejected from girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships