Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,366 times

Advertisements

I seem not to be able to break up with my ex a 100% and it's driving me crazy! We were together for 2 years and it was my first serious relationship. I know he is not the right person for me, he cheated on top of us having other issues. The first time, I found out about it I told him we were done but he just wouldn't leave me alone! The cycle continued. Just as soon as I start feeling better i make a mistake of seeing him "as friends" and we end up sleeping together. I told him to give me space but he either wouldn't or when I start missing him and he asks me to meet up, I rarely can say no. this has been going on for 6 months now. I broke up with him over 5 times but i don't want to cut him out of my life completely. I have this obsession of trying to stay friends with my exes since i truly believe it is possible and i feel sad if i have to let go of someone i used to love and who was a huge part of my life. He tells me that I am a very special person to him and that he wants to stay friends and be present in my life. I am not sure whether he is capable of just being platonic friends with me as we have crazy chemistry. I know that the only way to stop this madness is to cut him out completely but I am scared and don't want to do that! am i being dilusional and try to hold on to smth. that is not there anymore? we have so many common interests and i have never had this much fun with anyone So, do I have to stop any contact with him in order to move on?

Last edited by Katya Krylova; 01-19-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Could you please humor me...? WHY in the damn world do you want to be "friends" with such a person?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
It's possible to be friends with an ex but not if you still have feelings for him, which you do.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Your situation sound like me just a couple years ago, down to a T, except for the cheating part, so I know how hard it is.

I think you're not going to take anyone's advice (just like I didn't when it was me), but believe me when I say, this is not someone you can be friends with. Especially not when you have the sexual chemistry you say you two have (that was me and my ex too) because this cycle will never end and you'll be miserable for who knows how long. The best thing you can do is cut him off from any contact. That is really hard to do, I know, but you have to if you want to move on and be happy enough to attract a better man in your life. Regardless, you're probably not going to do any of that until that light bulb goes off in your head and you've finally had enough, but it will.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
A guy who treats you that badly is not worth your time or effort as a friend. Save friendship for someone who respects you and whom you can respect. Seriously, grow a spine and close the door on this one.

Do you have a pattern of wanting guys that treat you like dirt? If you think this is normal maybe you need couseling so you don't go for the same profile of abuser the next time.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Your situation sound like me just a couple years ago, down to a T, except for the cheating part, so I know how hard it is.

I think you're not going to take anyone's advice (just like I didn't when it was me), but believe me when I say, this is not someone you can be friends with. Especially not when you have the sexual chemistry you say you two have (that was me and my ex too) because this cycle will never end and you'll be miserable for who knows how long. The best thing you can do is cut him off from any contact. That is really hard to do, I know, but you have to if you want to move on and be happy enough to attract a better man in your life. Regardless, you're probably not going to do any of that until that light bulb goes off in your head and you've finally had enough, but it will.
The OP needs to read this post a couple hundred times or until they get it. Whichever comes first.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katya Krylova View Post
I seem not to be able to break up with my ex a 100% and it's driving me crazy! We were together for 2 years and it was my first serious relationship. I know he is not the right person for me, he cheated on top of us having other issues. The first time, I found out about it I told him we were done but he just wouldn't leave me alone! The cycle continued. Just as soon as I start feeling better i make a mistake of seeing him "as friends" and we end up sleeping together. I told him to give me space but he either wouldn't or when I start missing him and he asks me to meet up, I rarely can say no. this has been going on for 6 months now. I broke up with him over 5 times but i don't want to cut him out of my life completely. I have this obsession of trying to stay friends with my exes since i truly believe it is possible and i feel sad if i have to let go of someone i used to love and who was a huge part of my life. He tells me that I am a very special person to him and that he wants to stay friends and be present in my life. I am not sure whether he is capable of just being platonic friends with me as we have crazy chemistry. I know that the only way to stop this madness is to cut him out completely but I am scared and don't want to do that! am i being dilusional and try to hold on to smth. that is not there anymore? we have so many common interests and i have never had this much fun with anyone So, do I have to stop any contact with him in order to move on?

He doesn't leave you alone because you allow him to keep coming back. Yes, if you really truly want to move on from the relationship, you have to cut all communication. It honestly doesn't sound like you're really ready to do that just yet though.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Look at it this way. He's using you, plain and simple. You love being with him, have fun with him and the sex is explosive but that wasn't enough for him (he cheated on you) and it won't be in the future. He's a player and there are plenty of them around. They're not an unusual or rare breed but they are what they are. You don't really want to be used, do you? He's probably got a few other women he dances around with but you don't really want to be one of them, do you?

Somewhere out there is a fun, honest, caring and wonderful guy just for you, a man who genuinely loves you and who won't leave you sitting home alone at night wondering where he is, what he's doing and with whom. Don't waste any more of your (precious) time on this ex - make him a real ex and get on with your own life. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The OP needs to read this post a couple hundred times or until they get it. Whichever comes first.
Thank you! I'm living proof that it can be done.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,204 times
To be honest OP, good advice is only handy if you can actually follow it. However it's most likely that you gonna keep doing whatever it was your doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships