Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Since there is a worst gift thread - I thought I'd start a best gift thread! What are some of the best gifts you given? Received?

Personally - some of the best gifts I have received are:
All new everyday place settings from my hubby - he totally surprised me! Last year was was supposed to be his year for the big gift and my year for the small gift - so I wasn't expecting anything big. He surprised me with the Denby place settings that I had talked about getting someday in the future!

A 14 cup food processor from my mom. I love to cook and bake - and my 1 or 2 cup food processor just wasn't cutting it!

A little stuffed seal that I saw in a store while out walking with my dad. He went back and bought it when I wasn't looking (this was when I was a teenager). Usually my mom bought me most of my gifts - but I knew that my dad had picked this out himself - and so I've always treasured it.

As for giving -
A couple years ago - I made a CD of my singing for my mom for Christmas. She lives across the country and so she doesn't get to hear me sing all the time like she used to when I was growing up. My husband has some coworkers who run the sound studio associated with their company - so they let me make a CD for free. It was awesome! My mom cried and cried when she heard it!

A few years ago, I went through my mom's and my grandmother's photo albums and made scrap books for the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins) with pictures from back when my grandma (who is now 95) was a little girl all the way to the present day. It was really fun to work on and the family loved it!

Anyway - share your favorites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
The best gift I've ever given -- based on the recipient's reaction -- was a Christmas gift to a friend a couple years ago. She's a huge fan of Doctor Who, but especially David Tennant. Obsessed big time. (Really...it's not possible for me to exaggerate her obsession. It stops short of stalking, but otherwise, she's all-in.)

So two years ago her gift was delivered to me at work. I opened the packaging and called her on the phone to say I was heading over to her cube with her Christmas gift, and for her to shut her eyes and wait until I told her she could open them. I got to her cube and set up her gift -- a life-size cardboard cutout of David Tennant as the 10th Doctor. I told her to swivel around to face the door of her cube and to open her eyes. She did and leapt from her chair toward the cutout, then fell back in her chair in almost the same second, flushing bright red. I honestly think that for just one fraction of a second her brain thought that it was really him, really David Tennant standing in the door of her cube.

She's had fun with him in the last two years and moves him around her house. Last year (2010) he was her Christmas tree:

Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,842,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
The best gift I've ever given -- based on the recipient's reaction -- was a Christmas gift to a friend a couple years ago. She's a huge fan of Doctor Who, but especially David Tennant. Obsessed big time. (Really...it's not possible for me to exaggerate her obsession. It stops short of stalking, but otherwise, she's all-in.)

So two years ago her gift was delivered to me at work. I opened the packaging and called her on the phone to say I was heading over to her cube with her Christmas gift, and for her to shut her eyes and wait until I told her she could open them. I got to her cube and set up her gift -- a life-size cardboard cutout of David Tennant as the 10th Doctor. I told her to swivel around to face the door of her cube and to open her eyes. She did and leapt from her chair toward the cutout, then fell back in her chair in almost the same second, flushing bright red. I honestly think that for just one fraction of a second her brain thought that it was really him, really David Tennant standing in the door of her cube.

She's had fun with him in the last two years and moves him around her house. Last year (2010) he was her Christmas tree:
Hilarious! Repped for sure!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post

Will you be my friend? You sound AWESOME!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,842 times
I have given a good friend of mine a heart shaped locket for Christmas. However, in the card I said it was a gift for her and her daughter, but also a goodbye gift. This, or so i think, is probably my best. I would like to think they see it as a gift from a friend, over anything more or even have her think that way.

Another gift was a beanie-baby to two of my close friends from school; the year 2000 owl one.

Last edited by mitopcat; 01-16-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Default Broadway..

Front row tickets to Phantom of the opera, Followed by dinner at Carmine's Italian, And then drinks at the Library hotel's rooftop deck. best ever.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Knowing how much I like beer, my girlfriend gave me a gift certificate to a local place that allows the use of their equipment to brew your own batch! Best gift I've ever received hands down.

I got her some earrings with her favorite color gemstones. They were pricey (for me, anyway) but she loves them so much that sometimes she doesn't even take them off when we go to bed at night.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Since there is a worst gift thread - I thought I'd start a best gift thread! What are some of the best gifts you given? Received?

Personally - some of the best gifts I have received are:
All new everyday place settings from my hubby - he totally surprised me! Last year was was supposed to be his year for the big gift and my year for the small gift - so I wasn't expecting anything big. He surprised me with the Denby place settings that I had talked about getting someday in the future!

A 14 cup food processor from my mom. I love to cook and bake - and my 1 or 2 cup food processor just wasn't cutting it!

A little stuffed seal that I saw in a store while out walking with my dad. He went back and bought it when I wasn't looking (this was when I was a teenager). Usually my mom bought me most of my gifts - but I knew that my dad had picked this out himself - and so I've always treasured it.

As for giving -
A couple years ago - I made a CD of my singing for my mom for Christmas. She lives across the country and so she doesn't get to hear me sing all the time like she used to when I was growing up. My husband has some coworkers who run the sound studio associated with their company - so they let me make a CD for free. It was awesome! My mom cried and cried when she heard it!

A few years ago, I went through my mom's and my grandmother's photo albums and made scrap books for the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins) with pictures from back when my grandma (who is now 95) was a little girl all the way to the present day. It was really fun to work on and the family loved it!

Anyway - share your favorites!
I've been so blessed by many "gifts" over the years that I can't even begin to list them

But right at the top is the collection of CD's my youngest son began burning for me every year for Christmas since he was in middle school (he's almost 23 now).

At the beginning of every CD his voice is the first cut - he would always say something like "hey Mom, here's some music for you, I hope you like it! I love you so much, Merry Christmas!!".

The cool thing is now when I listen to them I can hear the progression of his voice from young teen to young man to young adult.

I especially like the one where I can tell he's still wearing braces, lol.

Hearing him give me those messages is a priceless gift.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
My now ex GF. Said she was the best gift I had.

At the time it was romantic lol. Now she's a *****.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
My now ex GF. Said she was the best gift I had.

At the time it was romantic lol. Now she's a *****.
LOL! You always make me laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships