Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How much can money replace looks/personality in dating?
After looking at a photo of Hugh Heffner and his bride to be I'd say quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Ahhh the age old question, does money buy love? Sure, just look at Hugh Hefner LOL - not a good looking man in my opinion. And there are a ton of filthy rich men who have only a face a mother could love but.... if a woman is just with you for money, is that really a quality woman?

Not all good looking people have great success with women either. I know plenty of average Joe's that have good personalities, don't make a lot of money but never seem to have any trouble dating.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
"Every woman has a price."

Really? So if someone slipped Mother Teresa a million bucks, she'd blow some random man?

What nonsense.

Always beware when people use absolutes, like "always," "never" or "every."

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
First, let me congratulate you on choosing a screen name that honors the revered economist!

To answer your question, of course you will! Assuming you reach a moderately high income level, you will be amazed how many women will "discover they love you". Women you've known for years will suddenly, when they see your new 5-Series (actually, you'll become a chick magnet the minute you buy a 3-Series)...anyway, they'll suddenly "confess" that they've "always loved you"....well....maybe you have to wait until you can afford a 7-Series or an S-Class, before they "break down and confess their unrequited love for you". But women will definitely start giving out free samples at 3-Series level.

But the fact is that having someone who genuinely, really, loves you by your side in life can help you go farther in life. I'd probably be a data entry person somewhere still, had I been alone on my journey. Far more important than dating/marrying a hottie, is not being alone. Peg Martinez' advice was 20/20.

I am a member of your species. I was a truly hideous girl...poor...malnourished...clothed in washed-to-death thrift shop clothes that had been cheap to start with. But I was determined to work up from less-than-zero, to that magically-high zero. Just making it up to zero was my dream.

So there I was, first semester of college (thank you, White People, for paying my way there), having special permission to take Weightlifting 101. I figured exercise would make me less ugly. What a shock to land in that class full of beauties. They were kindly beauties...but even to someone accustomed to being the ugliest person in the building, it was a shock to be in their presence. And then, there was him.

Boy, was he ugly! Tall and spindly, with horrible posture; ringworm scars on his scalp; clothes about like mine; classic Pizza-face Acne; some sort of awkward ethnic mix: perfect for a girl like me. Well, we teamed-up, there in class...spotting each other for Bench Press and Dumbbell Flies...awed, together, by the majesty of the bodies around us; then to explore the campus, with all its free activities...two trolls, keeping each other company.

Then we had an actual date, got busy the first date....first time for each of us... hot DAMN! And from that moment were going at it like Wolverines, as many times as college freshmen can do it in a day (many, many times...many...many...). Fact is, you cannot see very much of the other person, when you're pressed so close to them that all you can see is their eyes. It was as good for us trolls, I imagine, as it was for some blonde beauty queen gymnast with a hunky Italian football-standout.

Frankly, I had figured this was my only chance to get any guy, and the fact that he seemed determined to make something of himself made him a likely candidate. He had roughly the same thoughts about me. So, for us, it was teamwork and cynical opportunism, followed by totally unexpected lust, followed by genuine love. Had we each not resolved to make it past the oogeyness of the other, we'd probably both still be alone (and far less prosperous) to this day.

Maybe it was the flood of good hormones from all the sex. Maybe it was improved nutrition (which we studied, together). Maybe it was the exercise (every day...we coached each other). Probably, it was all those things combined: but DH had become a stud who turned heads, about nine months after our first date, when I had our first child. He had a late-onset growth spurt, and everything (including, probably his brain) grew.

We coached each other on posture. We coached each other on speech (went to the Library, and listened to recordings of the British Royal Family, until we lost our lower-than-white-trash accents). I found ways to dress us in fine Italian and French clothing, for pennies on the dollar (used, and returned merch). We shared healthy meal preparation...and kept each other from slipping.

We took so many risks, and got so much farther than a couple of very poor kids from worse-than-worthless families can usually go. And it was all, and only, because we had each other. You can do so much more, when you know someone steady-as-a-rock has got your back. It's everything.

Contrast that with climbing on your own, then having someone attach herself to you, because you've made it. Will it be a drain of your energy and resolve, to deep-down question whether she will be there for you, when things are not running optimally? Will she strip you of assets at some point?

Oh, and being fit will, over time, change your face in subtle ways. It will change how you look in a suit. And fitness carries so many rewards, besides attractiveness. Your personality may even change.

I understand the pain you are experiencing right now. But finding a capable and competent someone who genuinely loves you will be far better than catching some flashy hottie who's attracted to your affluence.

And I would add that once you have found a mate, the best investment you could possibly make in your whole life, is to shower her with love and encouragement. For the person who will be with you for the rest of your life, no amount of praise or affection is too much. Some people spray MiracleGro on their lives together. Some people spray Weed Killer. You can help her blossom, or you can make her slowly wither. Beautiful Tree Peony, or withered weed: the choice is up to you.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
Well, I've always married the men with the "most" personality....(not always wisely) but to this day I wouldn't even know if they resembled a dog turd. Personality won and I saw nothing else after. The adage of "love is blind" CAN come into play. Not saying it always does... OMG last sentence I had a typo and "said love is "bling" Prophetic in a weird way and yes there are grubbers out there. Be wise and that goes for men and women alike. Or just look at the current headline...Kelsey Grammer. Nuf said.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Paul McCartney and Heather Mills.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
"Every woman has a price."

Really? So if someone slipped Mother Teresa a million bucks, she'd blow some random man?

What nonsense.

Always beware when people use absolutes, like "always," "never" or "every."
Maybe he expressed it a bit unclear or something but I suppose he meant to say that for a man to have a woman HE NEEDS money and that can hold some truth when it comes to women having a price, being another expense for men, etc. Would woman be totally attracted to men with no money, no car, no job, no degree/career, etc.? Women generally are not attracted to men who are below their level. Like the old saying for men goes “No money, no honey”.

Hugh Hefner
Mick Jagger
Paul McCartney
J. Howard Marshall II
Donald Trump
...among many others.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Well, I've always married the men with the "most" personality....(not always wisely) but to this day I wouldn't even know if they resembled a dog turd. Personality won and I saw nothing else after. The adage of "love is blind" CAN come into play. Not saying it always does... OMG last sentence I had a typo and "said love is "bling" Prophetic in a weird way and yes there are grubbers out there. Be wise and that goes for men and women alike. Or just look at the current headline...Kelsey Grammer. Nuf said.
Now I want to know, How many men have you married? LOL

Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM

55 posts, read 63,666 times
To disregard the importance of money to women is to ignore the ingrained nature of women to be attracted to men who can provide. In caveman days it was a fresh kill now it is the money that buys the groceries.

so how much is enough? how much can I get out of a guy!? jk

Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I don't think any amount of money can substitute for a bad personality.

Just spend some time with an unattractive or attractive wealthy person with a lousy attitude...NOT fun.

Looks fade over time anyhow, if you're stuck with a nasty disposition nobody wants to be around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships