Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM

93 posts, read 334,881 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to "cry" online as it's easier to spill out my feelings to total strangers than to my closest friends =/ So thanks for taking the time read this.

I'm a girl first of all, I know my screen name can throw people off and assume I'm a guy. I'll keep it short, I couldn't work up the courage to tell a guy friend I like him for a while (lately he's been asking me about girl's pov etc because he like this girl). It was pretty awkward listening to him talk about other girls but I'm mature enough to listen to it as friend that we are.

Well, I took the chicken way out and text him how I felt last night. I know I know maybe that wasn't a good thing but then I didn't want to deal with the awkward silence if it was over the phone. I was chickened to tell it in person. Main thing was I got it off my chest.

The positive is that I know he only sees me as friend and no more lingering feeling from me and "what ifs" etc. Still, it's not a good feeling being rejected. I'll eventually get over it but for now I just want to go crawl in a cave.

Just curious how others handle similar experiences expressing their feelings to their friends and it wasn't mutual. He texted me back "haha, Funny! You know we are friends!" I suppose it's how both parties handles it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM

10 posts, read 10,235 times
Sorry, but my first reaction is that his way of batting aside your feelings was not very mature at all. Either he's afraid to handle things he isn't prepared for or he's a little on the mean side. Well, that's how it strikes me.

I know rejection stinks though, sorry.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I would have just been honest up front and to his face, this texting thing has gotten out of hand and people don't even know how to socialize anymore because of it (not directing that AT you, just a general statement). But, honesty is always the best policy. If you like someone let them know. You hmm and haw about it long enough, you'll lose the courage and / or the opportunity and end up regretting it. Rejection is a part of life, sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. You said how you feel, his silence spoke volumes.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Does he know you're serious? If a girl I knew sent me a message like that and I knew it was legit "haha, funny" is the last thing I would respond with.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
I actually find it awkward that you guys are "just friends". I've always said and believed guys and girls are never just friends. I think females can be friends with males, but most of the time a guy won't hesitate to take it further. There may be one or two exceptions for every guy, maybe you're one of them. Good news is, you spilled the beans and don't have to worry about it anymore. Move along for someone else that you like and likes you back.

And yes, texting is getting out of control. It seems like no one can say what they mean to someones face anymore. I'm also sick of getting long texts with details that they could have just said in front of me and wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Does he know you're serious? If a girl I knew sent me a message like that and I knew it was legit "haha, funny" is the last thing I would respond with.

I'd say he knew it was legit and to take a less awkward approach to get out of the situation he put "haha, funny". Thats what I would do if I valued a friendship but didn't want to take it further or make it awkward. Seems like an easy let down

Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM

93 posts, read 334,881 times
Agreed with the text thing. I was selfish on my part and took the easy way out when expressing how I felt. Also, I should took into consideration he, himself even stated he has maturity level of a 27 y/o and he's 34.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate the feedbacks.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Ah the classic "Harry Met Sally" situation....

From a guy's point of view I think there do exist M and F relationships that are strictly friendships but they are very few. I'll say 80-90% of the time the guy is the one who wants something more or something else:P

Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxdrivr View Post
I just wanted to "cry" online as it's easier to spill out my feelings to total strangers than to my closest friends =/ So thanks for taking the time read this.

I'm a girl first of all, I know my screen name can throw people off and assume I'm a guy. I'll keep it short, I couldn't work up the courage to tell a guy friend I like him for a while (lately he's been asking me about girl's pov etc because he like this girl). It was pretty awkward listening to him talk about other girls but I'm mature enough to listen to it as friend that we are.

Well, I took the chicken way out and text him how I felt last night. I know I know maybe that wasn't a good thing but then I didn't want to deal with the awkward silence if it was over the phone. I was chickened to tell it in person. Main thing was I got it off my chest.

The positive is that I know he only sees me as friend and no more lingering feeling from me and "what ifs" etc. Still, it's not a good feeling being rejected. I'll eventually get over it but for now I just want to go crawl in a cave.

Just curious how others handle similar experiences expressing their feelings to their friends and it wasn't mutual. He texted me back "haha, Funny! You know we are friends!" I suppose it's how both parties handles it?
Honestly, I think by texting him how you felt he could've taken it as a joke or not serious. Which is why he said "funny".

This is why its better to say these things in person or over the phone so they can sense that you're serious about what you're saying. Otherwise in a text he has to be careful.

He could think you're pranking him, and if he responds with something like "oh yeah I love you too for sure I want to be with you so bad" then you have it in writing to use against him, but if you have a conversation there's nothing tangible afterward just heresay.

(Not that he'd think you'd prank him, but he's probably confused, you should've told him in person.)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Honestly, I think by texting him how you felt he could've taken it as a joke or not serious. Which is why he said "funny".

This is why its better to say these things in person or over the phone so they can sense that you're serious about what you're saying. Otherwise in a text he has to be careful.

He could think you're pranking him, and if he responds with something like "oh yeah I love you too for sure I want to be with you so bad" then you have it in writing to use against him, but if you have a conversation there's nothing tangible afterward just heresay.

(Not that he'd think you'd prank him, but he's probably confused, you should've told him in person.)

This is my line of thinking as well. A text can be interpreted differently by different people. But I understand her reasons for sending a text. It can be awkward and painful to be so up front and honest with someone. Just looking at their reactions will indicate how they are handling what you are telling them. A person can be crushed in an instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships