Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM

42 posts, read 61,052 times

Advertisements

Some months ago I sought advice on this forum about my relationship with my husband and found it quite helpful. Thus, I am coming back for your opinions on my current situation.

My ex-husband, from whom I've been divorced for nine weeks, has died. He was married three times and I am his most recent wife. He returned to his first wife a few months ago and was with her until he died a couple of days ago. The first wife has made all the funeral arrangements, which will take place at the second wife's church!!

I called my ex-mother in-law to give my condolences, and she was very cold to me and pretended not to know who I was, despite caller ID and my repeating my name four times. In the past she had made it clear that she thought I was wrong to divorce him when he had a terminal illness, although he did everything he could to drive me away. I've found out that my ex told his family, friends and ex-wives a highly fictionalized account of our problems, in which I play the role of heartless monster. Some of his relatives and our friends know this is untrue, but I think the ones who never heard my side may believe his version. So I'm not sure who's minds he's managed to poison against me.

I am, therefore, expecting to get the cold shoulder from some of the other attendees. However I still plan to attend the funeral with some of my family and friends for moral support. We won't be going to the post-funeral reception. I'm not sure what proper etiquette is in a case like this. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get through this with as little stress and drama as possible.

Should I get in line to greet the family, despite the possible hostility of some members? Am I considered one of the family? Where am I supposed to sit? What do I do when I see some of his old friends who knew me very well? Do I wait for them to approach me first? What's the best way to handle the ex-wives, whom I've never met?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abetterday View Post
Should I get in line to greet the family, despite the hostility of some members? Am I considered one of the family? Where am I supposed to sit? What do I do when I see some of his old friends who knew me very well? What's the best way to handle the ex-wives, whom I've never met?

Thanks for your help.
That's a horrible position to put yourself in... Even though my normal inclination would be to suggest going to the funeral, maybe you shouldn't under all these circumstances...

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
Quote:
Some months ago I sought advice on this forum about my relationship with my husband and found it quite helpful. Thus, I am coming back for your opinions on my current situation.

My ex-husband, from whom I've been divorced for nine weeks, has died. He was married three times and I am his most recent wife. He returned to his first wife a few months ago and was with her until he died a couple of days ago. The first wife has made all the funeral arrangements, which will take place at the second wife's church!!

I called my ex-mother in-law to give my condolences, and she was very cold to me and pretended not to know who I was, despite caller ID and my repeating my name four times. In the past she had made it clear that she thought I was wrong to divorce him when he had a terminal illness, although he did everything he could to drive me away. I've found out that my ex told his family, friends and ex-wives a highly fictionalized account of our problems, in which I play the role of heartless monster. Some of his relatives and our friends know this is untrue, but I think the ones who never heard my side may believe his version. So I'm not sure who's minds he's managed to poison against me.

I am, therefore, expecting to get the cold shoulder from some of the other attendees. However I still plan to attend the funeral with some of my family and friends for moral support. We won't be going to the post-funeral reception. I'm not sure what proper etiquette is in a case like this. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get through this with as little stress and drama as possible.

Should I get in line to greet the family, despite the possible hostility of some members? Am I considered one of the family? Where am I supposed to sit? What do I do when I see some of his old friends who knew me very well? What's the best way to handle the ex-wives, whom I've never met?

Thanks for your help.
I would go and do everything you would had you still been married to him. You can sit there by his side and pay your last I presume? Do it, it is the only right thing to do.

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Should I get in line to greet the family, despite the hostility of some members? Am I considered one of the family? Where am I supposed to sit? What do I do when I see some of his old friends who knew me very well? What's the best way to handle the ex-wives, whom I've never met?

Thanks for your help.
Honestly honey, why go? Funerals are for the living, not the dead, and apparently none of the living want you to be there.

Why not honor him, if you so desire, by having a candle lighting or small memorial with people who care about you in your own church?

If you just feel compelled to go, plan to sit in the back, sign the guest book and leave quietly. You are not part of the family, they have made that abundantly clear, so don't set yourself up to be publicly humiliated by them okay?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Honestly honey, why go? Funerals are for the living, not the dead, and apparently none of the living want you to be there.

Why not honor him, if you so desire, by having a candle lighting or small memorial with people who care about you in your own church?

If you just feel compelled to go, plan to sit in the back, sign the guest book and leave quietly. You are not part of the family, they have made that abundantly clear, so don't set yourself up to be publicly humiliated by them okay?
I would go. I wouldn't care what THEY thought of me either. No guts, no glory!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Should I get in line to greet the family, despite the possible hostility of some members? Am I considered one of the family? Where am I supposed to sit? What do I do when I see some of his old friends who knew me very well? Do I wait for them to approach me first? What's the best way to handle the ex-wives, whom I've never met?

Thanks for your help.
Everyone feels differently about funerals. I personally do not go to them, so that point of view will color my response to you.

I have no idea on earth why you would want to go. What could you possibly hope to gain from being there? If you want to avoid the drama which will UNDOUBTEDLY ensue, I would most certainly spend the day doing something else - ANYTHING ELSE.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. Or she can do whatever she chooses, needs, and wants to do to say goodbye in private - her own little ceremony, whatever it may be.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I would go. I wouldn't care what THEY thought of me either. No guts, no glory!

He's her EX husband and funerals are for family and friends of the deceased. It would be classier for her to keep a low profile and cause no more drama than has already occurred.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
He's her EX husband and funerals are for family and friends of the deceased. It would be classier for her to keep a low profile and cause no more drama than has already occurred.
No drama........ ONLY a suit and a straight face. You speak only when spoken to. No problem.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Nine weeks divorced. The ink is still wet. Are you gals kidding me? Sheesh, like it's 20 years or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships