Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
feminism... men can no longer call women by their gender. 2011 is looking up
ROFL right, out of all the issues regarding womans sufferage world wide and we got a bunch of rants on the word female. Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Witness the dearth of topics on Relationships...
Yeah, almost all by females. Whoops, I mean almost all by a fem ... all by femal ....... By chicks! Is that OK?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Default Men using the word "Female" when referring to a woman Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Drive anyone else NUTS???

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I (generally) don't get too hung up on names/words/figures of speech.

Whenever I hear a man referring to a woman as a "female," I want to interrupt him and say "You know we're not sexing chickens here, right??"

It also feels slightly sexist (depending on the context of course).

Annoy anyone else? No? Just me? K.

You're too damn picky! Personally I hate talking to people who are so precise that you have to pick and choose your words for fear of offending them. A woman is a female, and vice versa...She is always going to be a female, she is never going to turn into a male, although I admit, there are some women out there that look like males.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Quote:

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I (generally) don't get too hung up on names/words/figures of speech.

Whenever I hear a man referring to a woman as a "female," I want to interrupt him and say "You know we're not sexing chickens here, right??"

Alright now please educate my english, as it is not my native tounge...

1. What do you call a girl who is a friend but not your girlfriend? i keep writing "female friend" even if it sounds f'ed up.

2. How do you differentiate between you mothers father and your fathers father when you say "granpa"?(and grandma on moms/dads side?) feels wierd to talk about an undefined person...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It sounds bad. There's a line in an otherwise great song by Thin Lizzy that says "I'm just thinkin' 'bout a certain female". Love the song but I always cringe at this line. It just sounds so stupid.
heard "jailbreak"
there is a line where he sings "hey you!, good lookin' female...come here!"

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,139 times
Quote:

I say gals or girls most of the time. I haven't met a "gal" who thought "girl" was offensive after 30 yet! LOL

Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
I've never heard a guy refer to a woman as a "female" but if I heard it, yea, it would irk me, it makes them sound like a piece of meat. I don't go around refering to guys as males, what are they, dogs? (Well that can be arguable lol).

Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Yeah, almost all by females. Whoops, I mean almost all by a fem ... all by femal ....... By chicks! Is that OK?
LOL!

I don't think the ol' broads will mind...

Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Alright now please educate my english, as it is not my native tounge...

1. What do you call a girl who is a friend but not your girlfriend? i keep writing "female friend" even if it sounds f'ed up.

2. How do you differentiate between you mothers father and your fathers father when you say "granpa"?(and grandma on moms/dads side?) feels wierd to talk about an undefined person...
When you're trying to distinguish sex in writing, it's ok to use "male" and "female". I think what the OP was refering to was when you actually hear a man using the term female. I tend to reserve those terms to animals, not humans!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
What do you call a girl who is a friend? Uhm, a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships