Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
She either conforms or goes away. Either one works fine.
Having expectations is not about doing something your way or the highway. You can have expectations but still maintain respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
They have a right to do things differently than I expect, and I respect their right to do so, they just don't have to have ties to me.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
They have a right to do things differently than I expect, and I respect their right to do so, they just don't have to have ties to me.
I think I made that point. Nobody is forcing you to have ties to those who don't meet your expectations. This is about dealing with people who, gasp, do something against your rules.

Isn't the point of being succinct being clear and to the point. There should be no need to keep on posting your expectations. I guess we don't all start off on the same page.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
A lot of men on the other hand are still stuck in the past, they didn't have a national media event to mark their own liberation, they acted alone, separate from other men in their quest for self change, they were simply respondents in the beginning days of women's lib. They were expected to follow their fathers into the historical patterns of male behavior, and not just in relationships but in all their behaviors that define them.
Are you suggesting that men's inability to listen is culturally ingrained as part of "traditional" gender roles? I don't believe it's quite that simple. Yes, many men are still stuck on outdated notions of what it means to be a man. Many of us have been raised to believe that complaining about your problems is a feminine trait. "Be a man and quit complaining" is something we probably heard at some time in our lives. The message is that men don't complain, even when they may want to. But like I said, I don't think it's that simple. Reverse the genders and I think you'd eventually run into the same issue. Imagine being a woman and your husband comes home to complain about his job. He hates his boss, coworkers, the company, etc. But he never makes any effort to find a new job. Instead he's content to keep on complaining. Do you think most women would tolerate that for very long? We can debate whether men and women's brains are wired differently or how our culture raises men and women to think differently. But in a lot of ways, I think we're more alike than we want to admit. And I think most people, male or female, would eventually get tired of hearing their partner complain. This falls under the "Don't Take Your Partner For Granted" heading. In this case, don't care for granted that your partner will always be willing to listen. You should always be grateful that they're willing to do so and not act like it's no big deal on their part. Nobody, male or female, likes feeling unappreciated and taken for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I don't know what it is but people tend to think that showing support means that you will encourage the "whining" or be contaminated with whining. Its like they act out of fear that if they give an inch, the SO will try to take a mile. How sad that a relationship is based on fear.
The fear is not entirely unreasonable. People get away with whatever you let them. So if you let your partner whine about anything they want for as long as they want, then what's to stop them from thinking that it's OK with you to continue? This is not to suggest that you should never listen to your partner, just that you should be willing to set some limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So, the question is, by saying "it's just too much," aren't you, in effect, "whining", yourself?
No one is suggesting that you should never be allowed to whine. But there should be limits to how much and how often. So when I say "it's just too much", I'm simply drawing a line and asking the person to treat me with respect. I'm perfectly willing to listen to my partner when she needs to vent. But that doesn't entitle to her complain endlessly, especially if it's about the same thing over and over again.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The fear is not entirely unreasonable. People get away with whatever you let them. So if you let your partner whine about anything they want for as long as they want, then what's to stop them from thinking that it's OK with you to continue? This is not to suggest that you should never listen to your partner, just that you should be willing to set some limits.
So, you think that if you did not set limits your partner, any partner?, would whine out of control indefinitely?

Why exactly would you choose to date someone that complains 24/7? Or, is this just a part of the human condition? If not, such a personality, I would guess, would be riddled with dozens of peccadilloes that you would have to set limits on.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then I think men need to work on their attention spans. Not listening to me would be reason to end the relationship and RUN. Who wants to spend the rest of their life with someone who doesn't want to talk to you unless it's to convey some bit of information that must be done quickly or he can't deal with it? I'd like to think I'm a little more important than that to him. If I'm not, he's not worth keeping. I'd rather be alone.

My husband and I have had a problem with him wanting to fix every problem I vent about but the marriage counselor came right out and told him to stop it. He explained that women, often, just want to vent about situations not change them. If we want your help, we'll ask for it. If you, however, take the attitude that we are only allowed to talk to you when we are asking for help or to convey some bit of, useful, information, don't be surprised when the relationship fails. A relationship where the partners cannot talk is, simply, a marriage of convenience. If something else ever becomes more convenient, it's over.
Once this cuts into time between the sheets, you're toast.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ivorytickler
Then I think men need to work on their attention spans. Not listening to me would be reason to end the relationship and RUN. Who wants to spend the rest of their life with someone who doesn't want to talk to you unless it's to convey some bit of information that must be done quickly or he can't deal with it? I'd like to think I'm a little more important than that to him. If I'm not, he's not worth keeping. I'd rather be alone.

My husband and I have had a problem with him wanting to fix every problem I vent about but the marriage counselor came right out and told him to stop it. He explained that women, often, just want to vent about situations not change them. If we want your help, we'll ask for it. If you, however, take the attitude that we are only allowed to talk to you when we are asking for help or to convey some bit of, useful, information, don't be surprised when the relationship fails. A relationship where the partners cannot talk is, simply, a marriage of convenience. If something else ever becomes more convenient, it's over.

Quote:
Be succinct. A lot can be said in a sentence or two, not in paragraphs.
What she is saying (to put it succinctly) is that if he fixed her problems then she'd have nothing to complain about and this would make her unhappy.

How's that?

No wonder single men, over 35, are so happy.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by lovesMountains
First of all, this does not apply to ALL men - some men really don't mind listening to what is important to the women in their lives

I think the last line of the article says it all:

Real men share power, real men are partners, real men know that real women need real respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
this whole "real" man thing irks me.
Real men can put in 3 words what most women can't pack into 25.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM

DennyCrane, in my experience, ignoring a need does not make it go away. It comes back stronger.

For example, I don't allow my daughter to whine but not out of fear that if I don't teach her, she will never learn. I simply won't listen to it but that doesn't mean she will never whine. I also don't tell her things like "quit whining" or act annoyed with her. That also doesn't mean that when she finally decides to speak without whining, I will continue to ignore what she has to say.

The point is that I let her know how she can get my attention. 1. no whining. 2. no crying. 3. no yelling. 4. be to the point, especially while I am cooking, unless we are just spending quality time with each other.

Those are my expectations and I don't do it out of fear that I will encourage bad behavior if I don't do it. I simply won't allow it.

When it comes to adults, it would be nice if these behaviors are put into place through their upbringing. If not, then you have to be respectful about how you set limits and they should respect them.

Last edited by crisan; 01-29-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:26 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
DennyCrane, in my experience, ignoring a need does not make it go away. It comes back stronger.

For example, I don't allow my daughter to whine but not out of fear that if I don't teach her, she will never learn. I simply won't listen to it but that doesn't mean she will never whine. I also don't tell her things like "quit whining" or act annoyed with her. That also doesn't mean that when she finally decides to speak without whining, I will continue to ignore what she has to say.

The point is that I let her know how she can get my attention. 1. no whining. 2. no crying. 3. no yelling. 4. be to the point, especially while I am cooking, unless we are just spending quality time with each other.

Those are my expectations and I don't do it out of fear that I will encourage bad behavior if I don't do it. I simply won't allow it.

When it comes to adults, it would be nice if these behaviors are put into place through their upbringing. If not, then you have to be respectful about how you set limits and they should respect them.
Right on! This is how my parents handled things when I was growing up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships