Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
You find self-validation by your ability to be alone?
You've got to be able to be happy with yourself and who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Would you sign a prenup if the woman was wealthy or from a very wealthy family?
If she wanted to sign one, no problem. But then again, how often do you hear of women who look below their level to go out with a guy and even marry him? Even women in here have agreed that they rather be with a guy who is above their level or AT LEAST the same. Oh, and yeah, there are exceptions out there of course but it is just that, exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
With that said, I fully support the idea of a prenup for second, third marriages and those that involve children from other marriages. It just makes sense. My mother protected her assets before she married her husband. He has two kids and she had two kids (now 1). They were both in their 50s or 60s when they finally married. He's been pretty pissed about the whole thing, but she doesn't want her home going to his kids if something happens to her. I can't blame her for that. And his kids don't blame her for that either.
Sure. Plus the possibility of divorce for a couple that remarries seems a bit higher for whatever reasons according to studies/surveys out there. How about if it was the man who asked for a prenup? Imagine a wealthy man asking for a prenup. Wouldn’t that hurt your feelings?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I have to agree there. I abandoned my own thread in the parenting forum yesterday for that very reason (it's no wonder today's kids are so jacked up). I realize there is a higher concentration of dumb and crappy here, but I am finding that people, in general, are unhappy and love to hide behind the perceived flaws of others, to the point of making stuff up.

However, T, you have expressed what you think about their take on relationships and you were wrong as well. It really is no different when you classify relationships as being either/or when people approach their relationships in a multitude of ways. When you reduce spending money on someone to it being all about the money, for example, you become that closed minded person you are complaining about.
Let's put it this way: I didn't fire the first shot.

That's the issue. Who's doing the shooting, and what's their impetus for doing so?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Not saying he was in poverty, but if you put two people side by side - the side with the most money isn't always the winner if their personality sucks. It was simply one of many examples of an even wider financial threshold I could give you.

I've dated rich jacknuts and poor jacknuts and it really does come down to personality every single time.
But I think you missed my point. Bottom line is a certain income minimum needs to be there for most people. If basic needs can't be met, then that person is going to be unappealing. However, once you meet or go above that "basic needs" level, then things like personality, values, etc. become more important.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm happy with my life. I'm not happy when people choose to attack me for how I choose to live it, or attack people that they have no personal knowledge of, that I have been involved with. People are the issue, not how I live. And that's why--for the most part--I really want nothing to do with other people, because people are the problem.

For myself, I'm good right where I'm at.
I think you're doing a big con job on yourself.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM

And I think more people need to be satisfied with what they have, instead of seeking some mythical Grail.

An update on the situation: both posters that attacked me have been banned from the site in question.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Let's put it this way: I didn't fire the first shot.

That's the issue. Who's doing the shooting, and what's their impetus for doing so?
Yes, I understand that. The answers to that are varied. But if it is an issue for you, why would you take a shot at people who don't choose or agree with your approach to dating, for example, by implying that those who want dates that cost money are shallow? If it's wrong, it's wrong. Si?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
And I think more people need to be satisfied with what they have, instead of seeking some mythical Grail.
That is not your call, T. Everyone has their own "grail", be it financial, spiritual, emotional. Someone who has been laid off, living paycheck to paycheck, barely making it, with children to feed will not likely be satisfied with their situation. If you are happy with your situation, great. That doesn't mean everyone wants the same for themselves, and they are not wrong for feeling that way.

Quote:
An update on the situation: both posters that attacked me have been banned from the site in question.
They probably deserved it.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 5,593 times
Only if you are an idiot. Got to hear Brandon Jarod!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Do you mean a person as in a friend or a person in terms of a potential romantic partner/life mate? After all, this is the relationship forum.

I don't pick my close friends by the size of their bank account, or how much they make. However, in terms of a potential boyfriend, I would care about his long term life goals and how he manages the money he does make. And the older I get, the more I care about this. Back in my early twenties, how much a boyfriend made or if he was good at saving his money didn't matter all that much to me as I knew I wasn't planning on marriage for a while. But as an older person, I have no interest in dating and having a long term relationship with a man that is content to live paycheck to paycheck.
I had the same view as you when i was younger but now that im older {50 ish} i realise that i need to look to the future and have been saving for a while now and look forward to my retirement but have always chose my friends for thier honesty , not thier bank ballance or thier job status
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships