Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just wondering.

Do any of you estimate the value of a person by the number in their bank account?
I can honestly say that I do NOT place any value on a person based on their net worth or income level.

With that being said, I really had to give the question of "Placing value on a person" some serious thought.

After really thinking about it, my perspective is this, I initially place equal amount of value on ALL people. All people, all ages, all races, all everything are equal. If I am sitting in Starbucks watching people walk in, I can say that I view each of them as having equal value.

Where it gets different is this, based on an individual persons actions (or inactions) the "value" I place on them will go either up or down. People like WWII vets, firemen, police officers, military men/women, teachers, the elderly, the disabled, religious teachers of all faiths, I place a higher "value" on those types than I do the cholo drinking beer in the alley, spray painting "Stranger" or "Joker" on the walls, or the guy who is sitting in prison for murdering children, or the other guy who beats his girlfriend and drowns puppies. Those types are near the negatives in value as far as I am concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Where does this stress come from...since it doesn't come from work?

I leave work, I don't even think about it until the next day when I go back to work.
really? You've never known anyone who's struggled and stressed about how to pay bills?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 18,422 times
i do estmate the value of people by their income poor people are good people rich people are a**holes except for actors and mucisians there cool you can even see it in my town the people in the inner town are cool nice and laid back the people in the condos and the suburban areas have no taste no soul and no personality i know i seem pessimist but i havent exactly lived the best life either

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I've never stressed about it. Sometimes I've fallen a little short for one or the other, or spent less on food for that week, but I haven't ever been stressed.

I'm not rich, but all my bills manage to get paid before I spend on anything else. May not eat as well, or as much as the next person does, but I do okay. Usually only eat once a day anyhow.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
At school you get a report card to see how you are doing.......how much money/assets you have, is life's report card.
I would have to say a persons contribution to society is more what I grade on.

I make my own way thru life and I would expect no less of someone I am with. However I would be fine with someone who maybe didn't make alot of disposable income as long they were content with that AND they worked hard and were committed to whatever their passion happened to be. There are many honorable positions out there that don't pay particularly well but still play an important roll. With that being said there is no way I would date someone who I considered lazy or unmotivated...I have no time in my life for someone who leans that direction.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
I don't think healthy people place value on others. Think of it, most of the worst episodes in our history as a species come from essentially devaluing people. Slavery was essentially based on two things, one economics and the second that some persons were inferior and deserved to be treated that way.

Humans are competitive and hierarchical, that is a no-brainer. but I don't think a healthy person needs to presume superiority over others, it's hardly an innate emotional need like seeking out companionship.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
At school you get a report card to see how you are doing.......how much money/assets you have, is life's report card.

Who says making money is the point of life? Should there even be a point of life?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 AM

346 posts, read 968,184 times
first off, thanks for inadvertently reminding me to pay my credit card bill

as for the topic, no. I don't judge someone based on their bank account. Spending habits maybe, but not a snapshot of a bank account balance.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
I've never stressed about it. Sometimes I've fallen a little short for one or the other, or spent less on food for that week, but I haven't ever been stressed.

I'm not rich, but all my bills manage to get paid before I spend on anything else. May not eat as well, or as much as the next person does, but I do okay. Usually only eat once a day anyhow.
Just curious TK...how much do you spend on groceries in a month? I support myself and my son, and we rarely eat out, so pretty much all our food consumption comes from the grocery store (including his lunches). So, given that you prefer to financially support your SO/spouse, would you expect her to follow your own sparse diet?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
TK,

How much money do you make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships