Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men, do you, or would you, wear an engagement ring?
No 22 59.46%
Yes, a small or simple ring 10 27.03%
Yes, a big or fancy ring 3 8.11%
Other (please see comments) 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Actually I would have been very wary about marrying a man who proposed without a ring or proposal
That's how you feel about it, no problem. You are not the only one.

Quote:
Don't care what kind of ring it is, but for me a ring is symbolic of a lot more than just some metal and rocks.
Would a metal band just do it for you without asking for upgrades or to add some value to it?

Quote:
As I said in the other thread I would be as wary of a man who didn't propose with a ring as I would of a woman who would only say yes to a man who gave her a huge rock.
That's right. I think there are more important things to marriage than a piece of metal on a woman's finger. It should raise a red flag if a woman pouted because her ring was not as expensive, shiny, big, etc. as her girlfriends' rings or if she is asking for upgrades. Aren't women supposed to be all sentimental about things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If no one proposes marriage, I suspect there would be none.
And guess who are the ones who propose marriage . Sure, we can say that we know of a woman who proposed or one of you may say you proposed, still, we're far from saying that women propose to men as much as men propose to women. Come on, women don't even think about buying their guy an engagement ring, how can you imagine women being eager to propose marriage? Those who do are just exceptions. But yeah, they are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I might go along with the idea it was brought up, but I would essentially be buying it for myself.

When I get married I want a simple ring with no embellishments..like one of those tungsten rings. if I were to do an engagement ring I'd make it like one half of a puzzle piece and the actual wedding band would be the other half

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
And guess who are the ones who propose marriage . Sure, we can say that we know of a woman who proposed or one of you may say you proposed, still, we're far from saying that women propose to men as much as men propose to women. Come on, women don't even think about buying their guy an engagement ring, how can you imagine women being eager to propose marriage? Those who do are just exceptions. But yeah, they are out there.
So what? Who cares? Other than you, that is. Most men, if you ask them, would much rather be the ones doing the proposing. Frankly, if you told women to start doing the proposing, and men to stop...hell, the men would probably be run out of town with proposals.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
It is engagement ring, i think you should wear!!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM

664 posts, read 773,496 times
Nope, won't wear a wedding ring either. I'll get married when hell freezes over.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I don't believe in buying unnecessary things, which is how I view engagement rings. If I ever get married, I will only buy a simple band that is inexpensive.

If she wants a rock, she can buy it herself.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:29 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Is there a difference between a wedding ring and an engagement ring? I thought they were the same thing but people moved them to the other hand when they got married.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Nope, won't wear a wedding ring either. I'll get married when hell freezes over.
Well-said. I'm also getting married when hell freezes over (but in the rare case that hell freezes over, I'm still not getting married). There are a lot of reasons I don't want to get married. But a wedding ring is one of the reasons. I don't wear rings. Besides, females would be less likely to check me out if they noticed a wedding ring. I want the world to know I'm a bachelor.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Now, did you get a ring later or an upgrade as many seem to like if they consider their ring not being "as nice"? There are women who will ask their husband to add more stones/rocks and value to their ring if they feel they got proposed with a ring that didn't have enough sparkle or value.
I don't see the problem with this. So what? Those of us that want it may or may not get it. Just as husbands may or may not get the laundry list of toys on their Christmas lists.

Further, not everything in life is fair. My dh really wanted to get married. My mother really wanted me to get married and his mother wanted us to get married. I probably would have put it off indefinitely if the three of them didn't care so much. But, guess who had the responsibility of planning the wedding? Sure, he wanted all his family there. My mother wanted all our family there (she paid for most of it), but that takes work and it typically falls on the bride whether she's a wedding planner or not. And my going rate is $40/hr, so if I were to tally up the time spent to make the wedding happen, it would have been a pretty penny.

And then there is the one-sidedness if the couple wants to have a family. It's all on the woman. Well, that's not fair at all imo. As far as I'm concerned, until the playing field is evened out in that arena you (general you) have no room to complain about buying a ring for your woman that is willing to put her life at risk to give the two of you a family. /hyperbole

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Is there a difference between a wedding ring and an engagement ring? I thought they were the same thing but people moved them to the other hand when they got married.

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships