Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does food play a role in your relationships?
Yes, I cannot tolerate picky, unadventurous eaters. 24 58.54%
Yes, I cannot tolerate people who eat weird stuff. 1 2.44%
Does not matter either way. 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

I could personally never date (or even be a close friend of) somebody who does not eat and enjoy the same foods as I do. This being pretty much everything - the more ethnic and spicy, the better. They have to understand and appreciate herbs and spices too. I don't mind if somebody is vegan as long as they fulfill the above requirements (without ingesting meat).

Sometimes I find myself getting really down on people who won't try anything new. Maybe that is not a great criteria for judging people, but it is more an issue of incompatibility and annoyance at not having somebody to share food with. I can't live if I have to eat boring food everyday... it will make me cranky and destroy the relationship. I also like talking about food as I am eating it. Maybe that is a bit too much for most people... but I love it.

Anyone else feel the same? Thank god DH is into the same foods as me... I think food was actually one of the factors that drew us together. Strange as it may sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
My parents had it too easy. I eat anything...

Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Eh, I find people in both camps who think the rest of the world is "wrong" for not liking the same foods they do. Who cares?

I've got buddies at work who like only classic American fare and think eating Chinese is edgy. Then there are others who turn down their nose at anything that isn't Vietnamese-German-Hawaiian-Fusion or some other prospect that would turn away all but the most adventurous.

My take is to find a happy medium. Learn to like something on all menus whether it's wild or plain.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I honestly don't see this as being an issue that would even get my attention unless I knew someone whose diet consisted of something extremely weird. Also, you should consider the fact that certain people have problems digesting food that is extremely hot and spicy (like myself) or may have to avoid certain foods due to health concerns such as diabetes. The worst problem I could imagine is just the fact that a couple might have to prepare separate meals because their diets and likes and dislikes in food are so different but I don't see this as being particularly important.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
While it's nice to have friends who enjoy all different types of restaurants, it's not a condition of friendship.
Quite the reverse - someone who couldn't be friends with me because I don't like spicy food, is not someone I would want to be friends with!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
While it's nice to have friends who enjoy all different types of restaurants, it's not a condition of friendship.
Quite the reverse - someone who couldn't be friends with me because I don't like spicy food, is not someone I would want to be friends with!
If I were you I wouldn't want to be friends with me either, but I guess I still would pick food over friends... it is definitely a personal flaw...

A friend said he would never date me because he is disgusted by the fact that I eat shrimp heads and shells. We aren't that close of friends (never hang out) but I still respect his opinions, not that we'd ever consider dating anyways. It was just kind of interesting that he had enough aversion to make food habits a "make it or break it" criteria. But I guess from the poll it is looking more and more like we are examples of rare extremes.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
well food taste is relative. I liked a varied cuisine, but everybody has different food tastes so IMO one should accept and accommodate accordingly.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
If you're going to live with the person and can't stand their taste in food and it makes either you or the other fellow's cooking a hassle, I guess there could be some conflict. But if you're close to them, it's just another accomodation that you'll have to be willing to make.

I think it's stupid to not be friends with someone because he or she likes shrimp or hot peppers or whipped cream, and I don't or something, if that's what you're asking.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM

61 posts, read 92,675 times
If I'm looking for someone for a dating relationship, it does help if they're into more than just bland, standard, "meat and potatoes" kind of food. I like a wide variety of foods, from mild to wild on the spice continuum, but even I have things I don't like. I'm not really into sushi (well, rather, I wouldn't eat raw fish; give me something steamed or whatever and I'd be fine) and I don't like calamari, etc. No raw meat, either, and I will either take or leave shrimp based on how I feel on a given day.

That said, if I'm on a date with someone and they're eating any or all of those things, I think I'd be okay with it. What I would have trouble with is if I wanted to, say, try the new Thai restaurant in town and the guy I was dating only ever wanted to go to Bob Evans or something. I mean, ***YAWN***, you know?

I also love experimenting at home with new recipes, new spices, new cooking styles. Hmmm... food as an art form? Oh yeah!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I wish there was another option than #2 for not tolerating certain foods (weird stuff). I like the idea of an adventurous appetite, but it cannot include mammals. Or bugs if he wants to ever kiss me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships