Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I love being home and I enjoy my solitude, so holding down the couch with a book or my laptop, or watching a movie would be fine.
Those all sound like perfect Saturday nights to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
After my ex and I split, I enjoyed the me-time I had. Time to catch up on housework, reading, relaxing. I hate clubs and bars - seems the only kind of people there are those who have to drink to relax - and I don't do well around people who drink a lot. I worked 50+ hr weeks, volunteered at a women's shelter, took a class at the university, taught myself to play the saxophone, spent time during the week with my grandkids, often had them visit on weekends, went shopping with friends, hung out with a friend whose husband was obsessed with tinkering with old cars, cooked for the week, in short - I did whatever I wanted to do!

What do you do on a weeknight? Why is Saturday, another day/night of the week any different other than needing to get up early the next morning?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I understand. Actually, I think there are many people who don't necessarily want to be out. I've noticed that my neighbor was also going out when he was in between girlfriends, but now that he got a new one, he's pretty much always home on Sat night.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooove being home on Saturday nights. We were so excited to buy a house...we like to actually spend time in it. Our perfect evenings involve books, movies, having nice dinners that we make, relaxing on our porch when it's nice out with a bottle of wine, keeping one another company, etc. I used to feel like I was "supposed" to go out on the weekends. Now, I feel no such obligation.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times
GENERALLY speaking, if you're single you're lonely and if you're married you're bored.

Now before I get slayed by all of the singles with wonderfully fulfilling lives and those that have been paired up for longer than a few years; (the honeymoon stage doesn't count) that are still very much in love, I don't care how much you and your partner have in common sooner or later they won't excite you the way they did in the first few years. And it doesn't matter how much of a player you are, if it goes on longer than a few years it will get old for you.

No winning, you say? You could be right.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM

77 posts, read 115,462 times
[quote=Mr. Humble;17645401]GENERALLY speaking, if you're single you're lonely and if you're married you're bored.

I guess I'd rather be bored than lonely. Although I'm both. I've had plenty of time to read, relax, whatever. When you've been in a relationship then take a break for whatever reason, you may have catching up to do. in my case, I've just been single forever so I'm tired of those things. I've watched movies and tv ad nauseam and I've done the hobbies thing. I think it just gets to a point where you realize that sometimes you need someone else to do things with even if those things are boring.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
probably in the Peace Corps

Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 PM

[quote=jordanlynn;17645934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
GENERALLY speaking, if you're single you're lonely and if you're married you're bored.

I guess I'd rather be bored than lonely. Although I'm both. I've had plenty of time to read, relax, whatever. When you've been in a relationship then take a break for whatever reason, you may have catching up to do. in my case, I've just been single forever so I'm tired of those things. I've watched movies and tv ad nauseum and I've done the hobbies thing. I think it just gets to a point where you realize that sometimes you need someone else to do things with even if those things are boring.
Well, I certainly understand. Have definitely been there. Tell ya the truth, what I'm often struck by is, why is it that there are so few times in any of our lives when the balance is just right; when you have enough company and enough freedom, enough we time and enough me time. It just seems like something we as a people, as a race should have been able to figure out by now; but another thin I'm often struck by is how little we've figured out when it comes to making actual improvement to our collective lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
why is it that there are so few times in any of our lives when the balance is just right; when you have enough company and enough freedom, enough we time and enough me time
Because it's a chimera.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Because it's a chimera.
Yeah, that's exactly what we have to tell ourselves, that there is some Utopia when it comes to our relationships with the opposite sex. Like the prospect of accepting that we are not all-powerful in this regard is too painful for us. Why is that, I wonder?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what we have to tell ourselves, that there is some Utopia when it comes to our relationships with the opposite sex. Like the prospect of accepting that we are not all-powerful in this regard is too painful for us. Why is that, I wonder?
Because you need hope to continue living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships