Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Why not just skip the non-verbal signs and body language, and *verbalize* your liking for them? Much simpler...much easier...keeps things ultra-simple, with no need to decode or decipher vague, abstract signals.

Maybe just a basic "You know, I really like you", said with a smile, couldn't hurt in that regard?
Actually that opens up a whole new can of worms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Subtle indeed.

She didn't happen to arrange the mushrooms in the shape of her phone number, did she?
unfortunately no

Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well ok, riddle me this good sir. At a restaurant last night, I noticed a busgirl who was very cute. We made eye contact, but broke it off quickly. And that happened quite a few times. Then she brought me my pizza, and when I said thanks she said 'mmhmmm' and gave me a smile that a waitress doesn't seem to usually give.

Was she interested or just very nice?
So why didn't you smile and ask her "Are you always this friendly to your customers, or should I ask you for your number?

Geeez. Why make things so mysterious?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
But even with that point in agreement, the "tips" that these cheesy articles give are usually the same every time. Plus, they often contradict each other...

"She'll cross and uncross her legs" says one mentor; another says, "She'll sit with her legs toward you"; yet another one advises "She'll sit with one leg slung over the back of the couch"

In the process of trying to simplify things, these articles sometimes just cause more confusion, because then we literal guys go on a "sign hunt" and end up missing the big picture. It's like what I tell my self-defense students - don't focus on individual points on your attacker; just keep their entire body and demeanor in mind.
Gimme a break! You're not the idiot you're trying to be every time the subject comes up. I suppose you don't know who likes whom on this forum, either... (rolling eyes missing at this point)

Last edited by sierraAZ; 01-30-2011 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Actually that opens up a whole new can of worms...
Lol...very true indeed, my friend

I guess I forgot about that part of the equation...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
I need it to be ultra-simple, since I'm an ultra-simple kinda' guy.

Just strip and mount me. I'll get it. Doesn't matter, public or private - no games, OK?
haha! love it!

I'm going to be no help because I did nothing when I met my husband but laugh at his jokes which I would have done for anyone whos jokes I liked. I think he knew I was attracted to him, but I didn't do anything purposely to show that. Then he asked me out and I said yes. So I suppose that was pretty clear interest.

I just asked him how he knew and he said "I dunno just intuition?" So he's no help either.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
smile and ask her "Are you always this friendly to your customers, or should I ask you for your number?
I would like it if someone said that to me. Does that help? If I was not interested, I would say. "I'm always this friendly, but thanks. Have a great day "

Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
People just need to proactively learn/understand body language in general. It helps a lot.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM

61 posts, read 92,682 times
If I were around a guy I was interested in, say we had just met randomly somewhere or we were on a date, I would:

• Compliment him, maybe on some aspect of his appearance, or other aspect of himself. Like his eyes, or his laugh, or something like that. Obviously, I wouldn't do this if it weren't sincere, but I've seen guys with gorgeous eyes or a great smile or a really great laugh or something, and I'll tell them that to their face if I'm interested. Men compliment women all the time to show interest; my guess is that if a woman does the same thing, a guy is going to love that.

• Listen to him talk, and encourage him to talk to me about himself. I want to know what he enjoys, what he thinks about life, what sort of things is he really passionate about in terms of hobbies, beliefs, etc. No, I really don't give a rat's ass about his bank account or his salary or what kind of car he drives. I want to know what kind of person he is. Hopefully, if I'm showing a genuine interest in what makes him tick, he will reciprocate by wanting to know more about me, as well.

• Related to the above, I would endeavor to take (NOT fake) an interest in the things that interest him. Obviously, this only works if you don't have to fake it. If I find myself attracted to a guy but it turns out that his number one primary interest is WWE wrestling and his second biggest interest is football, NASCAR or tracking his investments, I have to write him off as a loss and move on, because we aren't likely to find much in the way of common interests, no matter how sexy he might be with his mouth shut.

• If we're at a bar, I might offer to buy him a drink. Guys to that for women they're interested in, so again, my guess is that if a woman turns the tables, the guy will like it, too.

• Nod, smile, agree with him on things where I sincerely agree; on things where I don't, encourage him to explain and expand on his POV so that I will understand him more fully.

• Laugh at his jokes.
There's more, but that's enough for starters.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
If there is one unmistakable sign, it's the touch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships