Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
They can try to guilt everyone else into not excepting their std if they'd like, but in the end, they only have themselves to blame.

yeap

lovesMountains Lets agree on disagree. Actually you can have as many relationships with people with STD's as you choose and I can be keep not having them. And everyone is happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
I dont get why we are having such a hard time with this. If someone tells me they have an STD, then Im presuming that thats exactly what they have: A SEXUALLY - transmitted - disease. They are called Sexually transmitted diseases because it is almost entirely unlikely that they are transmitted through anything other than sexual contact. Acquiring the diseases through sexual contact means that unless the person was raped, man or woman, they had a choice to make before acquiring the disease. What happens after they've made that decision is not anyone's problem but their own.

HIV, regardless of what its considered (std or otherwise) is a different issue altogether. As a life threatening chronic and often terminal ailment, the decision to date someone with the disease is a decision to embrace the possibility of health complications and death in exchange for love. For the record, NO, I would not knowingly enter a relationship with someone who has Malaria, or Typhoid, HIV or Tuberculosis or any other life threatening communicable disease.

They can try to guilt trip everyone else into not accepting their std if they'd like, but in the end, they only have themselves to blame.

The ignorance is astounding...

Babies do not have a choice when an HIV mother gives birth to them.

Spouses with cheating spouses on the down low do not have a choice when their super secretive spouses bring an STD home to them.

Doctors/nurses do not have a choice if they get a needle prick from an AIDS patient.

Rape victims do not have a choice if their rapist has an STD.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Spouses with cheating spouses on the down low do not have a choice when their super secretive spouses bring an STD home to them.

Doctors/nurses do not have a choice if they get a needle prick from an AIDS patient.

This cases have a very low to low probability to occur. Most LIKELY people get STD's from sleeping around.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I JUST stipulated that "Unless the person has been raped...."...and I also stated that 'HIV is in a different category than other STD's' because it is more likely to be life threatening' and can be spread in NON sexual ways. -- meaning, it isnt exclusively an STD, and should therefore not be addressed in the same context as true STD's.

I made those stipulations for the express purpose of deterring people like you from mindlessly and reflexively rattling on about the exceptions to the rule, as if those exceptions some how nullify the rule that: most people who have std's got them from taking ignorant risks and/or being promiscuous.

And yes, people DO have a choice to sleep with someone who is on the downlow or whatever. They might have made the wrong choice, but they DID have a choice.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
This cases have a very low to low probability to occur. Most LIKELY people get STD's from sleeping around.
Again, you do not have to be "sleeping around"/promiscuous to get an STD.

Are you really not aware of how STD's have mushroomed in the over 55 crowd for instance? The geriatric set is hardly out there cruising the bars or picking up multiple sex partners.

It only takes ONE sex act with ONE partner who does have an STD to become infected yourself.

A virgin who has never had sex until that one time, or a widow who hasn't had sex in 10 years until that one time is hardly being promiscuus.

Again, my objections are to your very broad, inaccurate generalizations.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And yes, people DO have a choice to sleep with someone who is on the downlow or whatever. They might have made the wrong choice, but they DID have a choice.

sigh... if your partner is on the down low and you are completely in the dark about it and they get an STD they bring home to you, there was no "choice" involved.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Again, you do not have to be "sleeping around"/promiscuous to get an STD.

Are you really not aware of how STD's have mushroomed in the over 55 crowd for instance? The geriatric set is hardly out there cruising the bars or picking up multiple sex partners.

It only takes ONE sex act with ONE partner who does have an STD to become infected yourself.

A virgin who has never had sex until that one time, or a widow who hasn't had sex in 10 years until that one time is hardly being promiscuus.

Again, my objections are to your very broad, inaccurate generalizations.

It might take one isolated event to get an std, however, the likelyhood of getting an std increases due to a series of risk behaviors.

In other words, the more risks you take , the most likely it is to get an std.

And again, it is a personal choice. I choose not to, you choose to stay with someone with an std. Idon't see why you get so aggravated.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
sigh... if your partner is on the down low and you are completely in the dark about it and they get an STD they bring home to you, there was no "choice" involved.
Of course you (figurative you, not literally you) made a choice..you actually have made several choices...you CHOSE the person, you CHOSE to sleep with the person, you CHOSE to sleep with the person without getting tested prior to doing so, you CHOSE to sleep with the person without protection...etc. It just means that the person made a series of bad choices, that is all..but they did make a choice.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Here's what I dont get: Why doesnt anyone go badger the Medical Professionals who actually TELL people everyday, and have written in medical journals about how promiscuity and unsafe sex is the main culprit in the transmission of std's? Why not go tell them about how wrong THEY are?... I mean after all, technically, we could all catch herpes from touching the nozzle at the gas pump. Go tell the medical professionals that the advice they give out is wrong, and then Ill be glad to give much more weight to the statistical outliers that are being used as a scapegoat for why people with std's should receive equal consideration in the dating pool.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Solytaire: i know I am going to be flammed, but honestly Unsafe sex practices are bad for the body the mind and the spirit.

You would be amazed how bad people take this in mainstream america. I have never been like an extremist, but I have been called every name of the book when I say abstinence is not a bad thing. I mean very bad names.

And saddly the worst comments come from other women. I will never get why. WOmen are more exposed (due to biology) to STD's. Not to mention the toll promiscuity takes on a woman mind and soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships