Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe single women should be bonded with married men in close friendships, and vice versa?
Yes 22 25.58%
No 31 36.05%
It depends / Not sure / Other 33 38.37%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM

912 posts, read 827,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Tl;dr -- There's no question at the end of this, just making a point through an anecdote.

I feel awkward and somewhat uncomfortable with a male friend of mine who's married, but we're the same. He's the masculine version of me, I'm the feminine version of him. I don't believe in bonding and being close friends with married men that I feel close to in every way. It makes me very uncomfortable having conversations with him because there's too much chemistry and I don't want there to be that much. I always cut our communications short and limit them to political or philosophical discussions, and then I like to disappear and call it a night. Let me just put it this way: I would not want my husband talking and bonding with a woman who he has any kind of chemistry with whatsoever.

SO this makes me feel extremely uncomfortable around him. He's always talking about how sad and depressed and hopeless he is, but always says that he's married, and was never looking forward to the next day, always thinking of and talking about methods to kill himself. But lately it seems like he and I are talking more (and we always talk a LOT when we're together and usually against the grain of what everyone else is saying; so it's like we're in a bubble when the two of us meet) and he actually says "i'll see you tomorrow then?", and I'm not liking it because this means he is now in the habit of looking forward to talking to and being in the company of me. I don't want a married man to get a likeness for me. I'm not attracted to him and can't say he's attracted to me (both for the sole reason that he's married), but we both know that if he wasn't married, then we would skyrocket.

Friendships between opposite genders of opposite marital status that are close like this are what ends marriages, and I am 100% against it. My elders have already told me that ladies should not closely know (in the personal and intimate meaning of the word) married gentlemen. I don't ever want a married man calling his wife my name, so I think I'm gonna back off from him for a bit... I don't think I'll talk to him tomorrow. I'll see him in, I don't know, a week.
Ive got three sisters and here is what I would say to them...and I talked to them alot before they got married , not that long ago.....

Look it...your going to have to toughen up, this guy is playing you... the phrase...I'll see you tommorow ..right..? is a CONTROL thing to put pressure on you....WHY..? because he KNOWS deep down you are trying to get free of him...
Now... Do not let people control you just because you have ALOT to give...this is what he is zeroing in on...your vulnerability to share and have a meaningful relationship...he has targeted you...because he thinks he can conquer your need and overcome your attention to him implicitly.

He is a wimp...imagine a wonderful guy...now do you want the memory of this guy in your suitcase....no way. A real man focus's on the girl and the girls hopes...if he pulls that self destruction thing again tell him he should get prof help and that you do not want to further upset whatever the deep problem is.

Now...it sounds like your a very nice person, this attraction thing has got to start reflecting a little charactor in the ideal mate..the chemistry thing is a waste of time if the persons intentions are based in insecurities and over all suggestions that you are less than deserving of someone who has a little STABILITY.

A person who is flippy has no buisness trying to drag someone down into their flippy gutter. I hope you have some good girlfriends that you can plan some fun things to do and look forward to meeting someone nice...everybody deserves to be happy. This guy cannot make you happy....you know why don't you..? Hes a cheater ....after he realizes your on to him you watch him...he will target another...
If he starts with the whinning or what ever his tactics are I would say...hey I'm just not interested in having all this on my plate in a friendship, and if you like me as a friend at least give me a little space....he'll go away and look for another...and it prob won't be the wife...now how can any of this be ...chemistry...more like anti-chemistry i'd say...edit...you know that i'll see you tommorow thing ..right he says.....I had similar with someone who was takin advantage of me..always trying to bum money off me and never paying back.....so I said...to the question ..so I'll see you tom..right...I said...what for..? The users get stumped on that one ...give it a go if he pulls it again

Last edited by Blue Hue; 02-01-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
I have several female friends who are married or might as well be.

Some I know before they were in that relationship, some after.

Some I find attractive, and I know they don't think I'm terribly ugly!

One... I feel a very strong attraction to, and she does me.

Nothing will happen because I respect her too much.

Now if she calls me up and tells me she's single... all bets are off!

Up to you to determine your strength of will, breaking point etc.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Yiuppy, that 's a tou gh situation to be in - to find someone so alike and yet feel you shouldn't proceed with the relationship. How about praying about it , if you believe in God ?
ugh... Bible says flee immorality. why tempt yourself?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
If you're not comfortable with it, tell him. You have to draw the line somewhere. But I really don't understand how you can say you have great chemistry with him, you two would skyrocket if he wasn't married and then say you're not attracted to one another.

Your situation doesn't make it wrong for every single woman to have a married male friend. And being attracted to a married man isn't wrong until you act on it. People find themselves attracted to others all the time, married or not. It's not something you can help.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
There's a thread about how females are supposedly offended when people call them females.

But this thread (started by a female) uses the term female in the title

Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I don’t find it offensive. I just think it's ignorant. Sorry, OP.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don’t find it offensive. I just think it's ignorant. Sorry, OP.
You know, JJ, I looked it up in the dictionaries. Some find it "mildly offensive" whereas your favorite Webster thinks there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, JJ, I looked it up in the dictionaries. Some find it "mildly offensive" whereas your favorite Webster thinks there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!
Irregardless is in there too. Sometimes you just give the kid a cookie because you're tired of saying no.

A gay. A black. A cripple. A male. Adjectives used as nouns. It's poor English, that's all. Merriam-Webster is the primary source for spelling, not word usage. Now if you came to me with the Chicago Manual of Style, saying the same thing, I would relent.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Irregardless is in there too. Sometimes you just give the kid a cookie because you're tired of saying no.
Dear Lordie... it is! At least it's mentioned that's nonstandard usage...

Quote:
Now if you came to me with the Chicago Manual of Style, saying the same thing, I would relent.
Oh, I'm hardly an advocate of this crap...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
It's sounds like you're his escape from a bad marriage. I've seen it before. You need to cut if off with him immediately. Even giving him a hint of anything will keep him longing for you, even though he doesn't really want you - he just wants a release from a garbage relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships