Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with someone (you love) who has literally lost their mind?

My x (he dumped me about 3 weeks ago) has become nothing more than a shell of his former self since he has been with me. Im an intense individual. I tend to not have a filter and have been known to wear men down. But because I love this guy I've done away with all of my former bad habits and have opened myself up to him. Unfortunately I was still too much for him to handle.
He left me, stating that he needs to seek psychiatric help for the stress I caused him during our relationship.
Ie...
~Felt he needed to be constantly talk to me (text/email/phone)
~Felt like he needed to see me everyday (or I would become upset)
~Could not handle the thought of upsetting me
etc etc.

But because he still wants to be with me and so we've worked out a plan that he will take time to treat himself and then we will re-evaluate our relationship. Now Im stuck in limbo, trying to go out, regain some sense of normalcy, but he keeps popping in and out of my life. Asking me out to dinner. Texting me "I love you". And I love him to death so I'm just trying to support him at a distance.

However, he states that all of this anxiety and stress has never existed in his life before me. Mind you his mother, 2 sisters, and himself all have under-active thyroid and take either anti-depressants or anxiety medication (he is not currently on any medication). Im sure its a combination. But I cant help but think...of course hes never had stress in previous relationships as they were short and inconsistent.

Im beginning to notice hes no longer in control of his feelings. Yells, gets upset over nothing, crying, etc. I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie293 View Post

My x (he dumped me about 3 weeks ago) has become nothing more than a shell of his former self since he has been with me. Im an intense individual. I tend to not have a filter and have been known to wear men down. But because I love this guy I've done away with all of my former bad habits and have opened myself up to him. Unfortunately I was still too much for him to handle.
He left me, stating that he needs to seek psychiatric help for the stress I caused him during our relationship.
Ie...
etc etc.

But because he still wants to be with me and so we've worked out a plan that he will take time to treat himself and then we will re-evaluate our relationship. Now Im stuck in limbo, trying to go out, regain some sense of normalcy, but he keeps popping in and out of my life. Asking me out to dinner. Texting me "I love you". And I love him to death so I'm just trying to support him at a distance.

However, he states that all of this anxiety and stress as never existed in his life before me. Mind you his mother, 2 sisters, and himself all have under-active thyroid and take either anti-depressants or anxiety medication (he is not currently on any medication). Im sure its a combination. But I cant help but think...of course hes never had stress in previous relationships as they were short and inconsistent.

Im beginning to notice hes no longer in control of his feelings. Yells, gets upset over nothing, crying, etc. I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

The man has issues and you would be better off distancing yourself completely until he addresses those.

Don't take his calls, don't answer his texts and don't go to dinner with him.

Have one last conversation with him to encourage him to get some help and then walk away and go on with your life. IF, a year from now you are able to find out that he's followed through on getting some help and is stablized, THEN you could consider seeing if there is anything between you. Spend that time wisely getting to know yourself better and improving who you are as a person

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM

97 posts, read 161,229 times
If any man is crying for no reason and out of the blue that is a serious issue.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Im an intense individual. I tend to not have a filter and have been known to wear men down. But because I love this guy I've done away with all of my former bad habits and have opened myself up to him. Unfortunately I was still too much for him to handle.
BOTH of you sound like you need to cool your jets.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
I'm trying to think of something other than cheating and/or playing games that could cause this... unless he's damaged goods to begin with

Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
He may have some issues of his own, but if you are known to wear men down, your relationship probably made it worse. Seems to me like you two should really call it a day. Sounds like one of those toxic relationships that some people can't break away from, even though it is the worst thing for them.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Ie...
etc etc.

However, he states that all of this anxiety and stress has never existed in his life before me. Mind you his mother, 2 sisters, and himself all have under-active thyroid and take either anti-depressants or anxiety medication (he is not currently on any medication). Im sure its a combination. But I cant help but think...of course hes never had stress in previous relationships as they were short and inconsistent.

Sounds pretty dang unstable to me.

I suggest that he consider what kind of diet he is eating. It sounds like is very deficient in a lot of nutrients, predominately vitamin B complex.

There is a lot of really hinky people out there these days. Check out mydeathspace.com for a really scary wake-up call as to what people are capable of doing to each other (and themselves).

I'd be real careful if I were you. Try to get some decent food into the guy. He sounds like a time bomb.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 AM

29 posts, read 36,256 times
uh - oh.. sounds like your ex has a personality disorder falls under cluster B category (borderline personality)... It's a bit scary because we don't know what might happen next if you will stay with him. This guy has no control of himself and this case is sometimes hereditary... Think about it before it gets worse..

Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:

Ie...
etc etc.

Why is this all his fault. She's damaged as well.

How long did you guys date? What do you mean "wear men down"?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:

Ie...
etc etc.

I don't think that you two were a good combination. And you can't be happy yourself in the long run if you have to watch what you say and do with him.

How do you usually wear your boyfriends down?

And is there any truth to his thinking that you are such a clingy and needy person? Do you get upset with him when he doesn't stay in touch with you constantly every day?

And... how old are the two of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships