Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

I still am not sure why this guy wants to be conceited, stuck-up and cocky. They're all terms that always have negative connotations, at least in my experience. I don't think cocky and confident are the same thing, but that's just me.

Anyway OP, if you decide to try and become this Patrick Bateman-like character, don't be surprised if you end up alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Oh, Lordy, just got in the forum, guess I better tie on my tin foil hat. Ok, all set.

Conceited = douche bag loner
Confident = Cocky + funny
I disagree that confident = cocky and funny. Someone that is cocky is usually brash and quite full of themselves. Cocky CAN be okay, in certain circumstances, but it also can be overly confident and conceited. And funny is always good. But neither should be mistaken for the confidence that makes a person completely at ease in a room full of total strangers, the ability to converse with ease with most anyone, and being generally self-assured about one's appearance, beliefs, abilities, and values.
Being OVERLY confident is never a good thing.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Texas User, in order to be cocky and conceited, you have to believe you are better than everyone else for some reason. So what are you selling? Are you handsome or smart or what? A conceited guy with no goods is a douche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. It is you who is confusing the terms. There is no mistaking arrogance...and believe me, it isn't attractive or appealing, at ALL. Confidence is a different attitude altogether. One, apparently, that you do not have.
I think it works both ways in my opinion. We see it on women too. Someone who lives to tell men or women how they suck and aren't worth the price of tea in China. Now that's arrogance and being conceited. The poor guy is just good at what he does and likes to discuss it. In most cases that person always has a feeling of jealously to no end as well. Well, why is that person so jealous? Your answer would be he or she can outdo you. You know it and they do too.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Oh, Lordy, just got in the forum, guess I better tie on my tin foil hat. Ok, all set.

Conceited = douche bag loner
Confident = Cocky + funny
That makes perfect sense to me. A confident man might trip on the step but he will still get the key in the lock. Truly confident men care less about whether someone who is insecure and jealous find him cocky and arrogant. He is just better at things than others. Not being able to accept that makes them the real douche. For the record, I think there is far more arrogant and conceited women than men. They can't control it and is their own pitfall. Who's the arrogant and conceited one when a pedestal has been set and anyone falling the least bit shy of it is never good enough? You have your answer. Walking into a room full of people and being able to carry a conversation with anyone isn't always confidence either. You are just more socially adapted and at ease with people. A shy person can posses a great deal of confidence as well. Some of the most confident and trustworthy people are hermits. People need to quit worrying about how other people perceive them and do their own thing. That's confidence and believing in yourself.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I think it works both ways in my opinion. We see it on women too. Someone who lives to tell men or women how they suck and aren't worth the price of tea in China. Now that's arrogance and being conceited. The poor guy is just good at what he does and likes to discuss it. In most cases that person always has a feeling of jealously to no end as well. Well, why is that person so jealous? Your answer would be he or she can outdo you. You know it and they do too.
Not sure what you mean by "both ways". If you mean that women can be arrogant and conceited too, well, sure...of course they can.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Like Chessie said, of course women can be arrogant and conceited; nobody said otherwise.

If a guy is a jerk and I tell him so, that doesn't make me conceited nor does it mean that I am jealous of him. And I did say that conceited people need to have something to be conceited about. For instance, if a guy is really handsome and a cocky jerk about it, many women won't find that attractive but some women will. But if a guy acts like he is super sexy and isn't, nobody is going to be attracted to that. If a person is going to brag, he or she has to have something legitimate to brag about. Otherwise, stow it.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not sure what you mean by "both ways". If you mean that women can be arrogant and conceited too, well, sure...of course they can.
That's what I meant. I don't feel anyone who is friendly and goes out of their way to get along is any of these things. The person who always makes accusations and points the finger IS though. Some men and women need to look in the mirror and see what they are. Deliberately trying to break someone down is just that... you are an a@@! I never confuse the two. It's so obvious a blind person can see it. Someone who gets their rocks off making others feel like crap. That is what arrogant, conceited and stuck up really is.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM

I also think that anyone who has to ask how to be like this isn't really. If you have to ask, you aren't. If you truly are, you can't help it. They are like a bull in a China shop. Someone who feels confident in their abilities and can prove or show it shouldn't feel or be made to feel that way. If you can type two hundred words a minute, are you bragging and arrogant about it to tell someone? The person who types fifty thinks so. lol

Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Highly confident? You mean overconfident?

Quote:
I'm nice but don't kiss a**. I don't and won't say things I don't mean.

I say more women don't like highly confident guys than men do. Men don't care. As long as he is good and you trust him so what. I meant what I said about appealing to the woman in question likes and dislikes as well. The best blacksmith in town isn't going to draw nearly the attention of a lousy lawyer. If you don't understand it or him they write him off as uninteresting and cocky or arrogant. The lousy lawyer has a great game and knows how to talk smooth. He sucks as a lawyer but he is smooooooooth. The blacksmith can fabricate anything by hand and isn't afraid to take on any project. His threads might be a little out of style or ragged. The guys knows what he is doing and is very-very confident. They would pick the lousy lawyer every time I bet. Women are easy to fool and gallable. lol Not us, you can't fool us! We know who is who.

Being funny and confident is another bogus claim. Most men who are very confident have a sense of humor. They just don't find them funny if they aren't of interest to them. That goes back to the other statement I made. Confidence means nothing if it isn't of interest to them.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
You should copy people that are conceited if you dont know what to do. Mike from the Jersey Shore show on MTV is a pretty good example of being conceited. You just need to act like your better then everyone and your poop dont stink.

Texas why do you feel like you want to act this way. Im guessing you think its gonna get you girls. Id advise you to focus on developing social skills and close relationships.
I just want to put it to test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships