Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I would assume so. I was offered $100K plus stock 20 years ago to manage a family restaurant, and I struggle making a tuna salad sandwich (zero restaurant experience). Good bars are VERY profitable.
Yeah 20 years ago.... in this economy lawyers are out of work. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,298 times
i don't get it? You knew his job before you married... is it some kind of sudden surprise?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
I see what you're saying, but I'm working a specific angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, I don't think it's that simple. Marriage is about love. At the same time, it's about partnership, too.

Reading between the lines on the OP, you have someone who seems to be worrying about her partner's general lack of direction in life. The world is filled with marriages where one person doesn't live up to his or her end of the bargain, leaving the other to do all the worrying and all the work. And, over time, that person gets resentful, no matter how strong the love originally was.
I was heading in this general direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
i don't get it? You knew his job before you married... is it some kind of sudden surprise?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Well, she did get married when he was 21. He just graduated, at that time anything can happen. Yes, he probably had a humanities degree but he still could've gone for a CPA, law school, public policy school, teacher school or just an average corporate job. A history degree is still useful for jobs with no specific degree pre-requisites.

Although, she should've known his personality. A lack of ambition is never a good thing.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
You didn't know about his lack of ambition during the 5 years you dated before the marriage?

I don't envy you, loveisyou, being in such a situation, and I am sorry that you are going through this. Your resentment will only continue to grow. My advice is to see a good counselor/therapist - together as a couple, or alone if he will not go with you. Sounds like you could use an unbiased professional (not just us folks on C-D) to help you sort things out and decide whether you can continue to live with a man whom you do not respect. Good luck to you.
Well, he was 21 at the time. You really don't know what somebody's future professional life will be at that time.

Which is why, once again, I'll offer that nobody should get married right out of school. Period. You change more in the five years after completing your education than you do for the rest of your life. Your interests, your hobbies, your philosophies, your priorities, and your work habits will evolve to the point of making you completely unrecognizable from your former self.

Hey, I'm not saying a marriage at that aged is doomed to fail. But the odds of success are considerably lower.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
There are educated men making under 50K

Loveisyou, as the head and "husband" in the family, it's time for you to be tough. Make your rules and make him adhere. Don't let him buy his lotto tickets. It's as simple as that. Start saying "No".

You can start by putting all your salary on "family" savings. And run the house with his salary. Maybe then he will realize how much money he spends and will start being responsible.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Whenever two people are in a relationship, one will make more money than the other. Just a fact. You knew what his work ethic and his career prospects were well before you married. You knew you were going to be the main breadwinner. You can't change him. But you can change you.

You can start by sharing your financial situation completely and work out a budget together. A budget that includes money for both of you to spend as you please. If he choses to spend his on the lottery, so be it. Come up with something you can both agree to and stick with. No excuses. And it has to include savings.

You are in a long term relationship and you are the one who wants to change the rules. What used to be OK with you isn't OK anymore. He deserves to know that the rules have changed, right up front. He needs to know what is expected of him. Discuss and communicate. Compromise. Put it all out there on paper and see how it works out.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,095 times
I guess you should have married someone you loved and respected.

Oops.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
As you get older you kind of fall into being more responsible because those responsibilities come to you. You have children, you buy a house both for the roof and as an investment, so on. Now you have to raise that child, make that payment, and so on. This step into handling those responsiblities happens at different ages for different people. Like several others I get the feeling this is not so much about money as it is he is not stepping up to his responsibilities.

If I think back on my marriage when things went wrong nearly every single one of those things had a common element in that one or both of us had failed to communicate our position, thoughts, or feelings. IMO you start there, this is not going to get better on its own and if you cannot work through the process of fixing it your marriage will eventually fail. The first steip is clearly communicating.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,788 times
If they can afford for him to be a stay-at-home dad, that would be the best bet IF he is going to use that time to work on his Phd. OP mentioned her husband is still figuring out his career, so what if those plans change? He may not want to stay home, I know guys who wouldn't want to do that even if they weren't making much money.

I agree on counseling and getting him to curb his lottery ticket habit. If he can't stop, he should spend much less than he does. The next couple of years are very important. You don't want to be on the hook for alimony if this doesn't work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships