Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSB13 View Post
This isn't a money issue. To be honest he got married to young and wasn't ready to be a family man. A good percent of guys are not ready to marry after college, because they still need time to find out who they are and want they want out life. Now he is stuck in a corner with a wife and a kid. The reason he is flaky and jumping from job to job is because he is trapped with the family thing.

They have done studies that the part of the male brain that decides what they want in life doesn't develop until they are 25.
Really, then why is it that only 40-50 years ago, that most men used to marry in their early 20s? From 1950-1970, the average at first marriage for men hovered around 22 and 23, which was down from 26 in 1890. If men could marry young then they can still do it now.

Not to mention, my brother and his wife married 12 years ago at age 16, had a baby at 17. And they both went to college and now own their home and business. So, marrying before 25 doesn't mean you WILL divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM

97 posts, read 161,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Really, then why is it that only 40-50 years ago, that most men used to marry in their early 20s? From 1950-1970, the average at first marriage for men hovered around 22 and 23, which was down from 26 in 1890. If men could marry young then they can still do it now.

Not to mention, my brother and his wife married 12 years ago at age 16, had a baby at 17. And they both went to college and now own their home and business. So, marrying before 25 doesn't mean you WILL divorce.

You right and I never said it did. I just saying I remember reading a study about it and her husband sounds like he feels into that type. 50% of marriages fail and it is even higher if you factor in younger age.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
someone is always going to make more in the relationship. why does it matter if its you or him?

sounds like youre the one with issues, not him.

get over it.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
Hi there! I'm having similiar situation in my home. Please come back & tell me what happened with your situation? What did you do? Did you tell your husband? Did he changed his bad habbit? Is he striving for a better job?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Why are you guys so obsessed with money? I make more than the OP and her husband combined yet I really couldn't care less what my spouse would make... I don't understand why how much money my spouse makes is that important... maybe its just me... I don't even think that's even a criteria for how to evaluate your spouse... maybe its just a guy thing... maybe the ladies like guys to make more than them... idk... i don't get it...

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
money is important , but you must know : love is more !!!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Men's self-esteem suffers when female partner succeeds, study says - latimes.com

Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
This Shows the difference between how women think and how men think.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisyou View Post
I need some marital advice. I’ve been married to my husband for over two years and we’ve been together for a little over 7 years. He is 28 and makes about 30k a year. We live in metro DC which is a very expensive area to live in. We have one child also. He has flipped, flopped a lot with his career and had a total of 4 jobs since we graduated from college. I make over double what he makes and it really bothers me. I hate to be that way but it just does. He chose a degree in which its almost mandatory to get a Ph.D to really make any money in it. He is still all over the place with what he is going to do with his life. I’ve encouraged him to go to graduate school and to look for a better paying job, neither of which he takes seriously. He also frequently comments that he is going to win the lottery so he’s not really worried about anything. He spends probably $25-50 a week on playing the lottery and scratch off games, it’s really annoying cause winning the lottery is not a great life plan in my opinion. It just seems to me that he has no plan in life as far as career goes.
Also, recently two of our mutual friends just quit their jobs to be stay at home moms. I asked my husband about this and he said its unlikely because he is still figuring his career and life out and I bring home the most money. I’m starting to become resentful towards him over this. I never thought I wanted to be a stay at home mom, but now that I have a small child I just want to be with her all the time. Is it wrong for me to expect a man at his age to have more of a settled career plan and to make more money?
I'm really sorry to hear that you want to be a SAHM and may not have that oportunity. However, that is a luxury that a lot of people don't have. Maybe someday you can go PT.

On the other hand you married him knowing of his career issues. He was 26 at the time, so I would assume that he was done with his BA/BS. You can't force someone to go back to school, if he doesn't want too he will not succeed.

I feel for you, I do, but this is on him if he wants to further/better his career. Support him is advancing as much as possible in any position, and through that he may consider returning for his masters.

BTW I agree with the aspiration of wining the Lotto, give me a break, grow up!!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Why are you guys so obsessed with money? I make more than the OP and her husband combined yet I really couldn't care less what my spouse would make... I don't understand why how much money my spouse makes is that important... maybe its just me... I don't even think that's even a criteria for how to evaluate your spouse... maybe its just a guy thing... maybe the ladies like guys to make more than them... idk... i don't get it...
Money is like oxygen. It is only a big deal if you don't have enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships