Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I usually want what I don't have at the time - on & off cycle. It's not that I want other men when I'm involved... I want the freedom.
Yep. That^^. Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I'm a 61 yr old married man and I've got my freedom! Of course, "my freedom" is being with my wife who loves doing darn near everything I love doing! I love NFL, so does she! I love boating and fishing, so does she! I love target shooting, so does she (with her own handgun and rifle)! Now, that is just a few things that are considered "freedom" to me that we BOTH enjoy doing together. When we met 11 yrs ago, we'd both been thru two divorces, but BOTH of us were "marriage minded" and it worked out great. We didn't let bad relationships or our divorces stop us from finding each other!! We don't have kids together, but she did years ago (lost a baby and teen son due to death/sickness). By the way, my wife is 63.......from the same generation I am and I love it!!
My theory is, if a person doesn't want/like marriage, by all means.......DON'T MARRY!! If you don't want to have kids, DON'T HAVE KIDS!!This means: no matter what anybody tells you, just DON'T DO IT (unless you end up changing your mind from your own feelings, not others).

Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I get this all the time--No kids?? No marriage?? NO!!! I'm not interested in kids (only from one person and that's never happening) and I DO NOT need a piece of paper saying I'm in love with (insert name here) and we are together..

My ex and I were together for 4.5 years and referred to each other as husband and wife, had joint bank accts and cc's together..However, it was never legally tied which was good for when we ended our relationship..Nice clean break

Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel like a freak. My husband and I got married VERY young (age 18). Divorced after 7 years and we only have one child. I'm raising our kid by myself and my ex is in another state. He basically abandoned us. I've had serious relationships in the past and almost got married again. Things didn't work out and I resolved to just raise my kid and put aside my love life for now. I'm still considered young but I feel like I'm twice my age mentally.

The only thing that worries me, is that I'm single and very happy! My friends and family think I've lost my mind or something because I choose to be single. Another thing that worries me, is that maybe I'm getting too comfortable being single and independent. So when the time comes that I can relax, my kid is grown and on his own, I won't know how to compromise or be able to share my life again with some one. That's the only thought that can keep me awake at night. Other than that, I love being single! I don't have to answer to anyone and I love my freedom. I'm not sure how I'll be able to give that up for just anyone.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
I think women are more comfortable being single now that it's widely socially acceptable to use certain devices for masturbation purposes. I'm personally aware of some women who actually prefer these devices over a sexual relationship with a human being.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I think women are more comfortable being single now that it's widely socially acceptable to use certain devices for masturbation purposes. I'm personally aware of some women who actually prefer these devices over a sexual relationship with a human being.
I've never had a woman tell me this unless she was joking. I'm betting that any woman that actually feels this way, is seriously emotionally damaged, and probably better off with just battery power.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
... My husband and I got married VERY young (age 18). Divorced after 7 years and we only have one child. I'm raising our kid by myself and my ex is in another state.

... I'm single and very happy! .
Sorry, but you are not single since you were married and you live with your child from that marriage. Your response does not apply to the Thread starters situation.

You are a Divorcée with child and are happy to be that way.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel like a freak. My husband and I got married VERY young (age 18). Divorced after 7 years and we only have one child. I'm raising our kid by myself and my ex is in another state. He basically abandoned us. I've had serious relationships in the past and almost got married again. Things didn't work out and I resolved to just raise my kid and put aside my love life for now. I'm still considered young but I feel like I'm twice my age mentally.
Sorry Pierce. I'm not talking to woman such as yourself. I'm happy with your state of mind, tho.

I'm talking to either divorced or single childfree women.

The happy being single and childfree women.

The happy to have a "jumpoff" women. Not a relationship, but ...

The happy to eat popcorn and drink water for dinner women.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never had a woman tell me this unless she was joking. I'm betting that any woman that actually feels this way, is seriously emotionally damaged, and probably better off with just battery power.
We can pitty that woman, Chessie.

That women hasn't experienced real sex before. Not love, but sex/fckin.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am not single, but I don’t think I’ll ever get married for a number of reasons.

The idea of being bound to someone legally freaks me out.
I don’t see how being married to my bf would enrich our lives.
Wedding receptions bore me.
I'd rather spend the money on a good holiday.
I hate the wedding ceremony - its so outdated. Watching a woman being 'given away' from her Dad to her husband appalls me.
I don't want to get divorced. If me and my partner split we haven't got to go through a load of legal crap. Splitting up is hard enough without that on top.

I once read or heard somewhere "If marriage didn't exist would you create it?" Basically why would you look at your love and passion for each other and say "Hey, you know what we're missing? Let's get the government and some lawyers in on this!"

I have often thought about it the kids thing too and I have always come to one conclusion – I just don’t think I want them. It’s that simple.

I like my life the way it is. I like sleeping in and going out to dinners when I want, staying out late and shopping until I am broke. There will be a million parents who tell me they can still do all those things but it’s never the same. This is just my observation going off the parents I know.

I don’t want the responsibility of a child. I can say this at 30 and I am sure people who are 65 also say it! Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. If it’s not a desire it’s not a desire. Life is there to be enjoyed, not endured, and when I think of kids I think of stress and no time to yourself.

When it comes to animals I want to protect them and care for them, but I have absolutely no desire to do so with a child.

People tell me “yes, now in your 30’s, but you might not be like that in your 50’s!”. No, I’ll want to be travelling more and meeting people and seeing things and doing things in my 50’s.

People say those without kids have a very lonely life. I have some amazing people in my life and none of them happen to be my children.

It also makes me laugh when women say things like "you'll never keep a man!".

Oh yeah, tell a man he is under no pressure to get married or have kids and I'm sure he'll run a mile.

^ This is supposed to be FUNNY, ok? Just a little joke. It's not meant to offend anyone. Please laugh.
Superb post, Vanilla! Love the cartoon, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships