Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times

Advertisements

Nothing other than going to work. The next day I will be at Target bright & early scouring the V-day section for any 50% off and up trinkets. After Target, I'm going to the Godiva boutique to grab a few more markdown candies. On Wednesday I will be taking SO out to eat, since it is his day off, and we will exchange V-day gifts that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
I am waiting to see if my dh will actually plan anything. I know he won't. Unfort. romance went out the door yeeeeaaaaars ago. I'll prob. get a bag of Dove chocolates, lol. I am planning on surprising him with a nice dinner/wine, and maybe some lingerie....

Old 02-11-2011, 02:56 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
We never celebrate on the day as it has become such a commercial and sterile occasion in my opinion. So on Valentine's day we will go to a lecture by the Oxford University Archaeology Society and then take in a regular student comedy improv show which is a pretty normal monday for us.

But we always celebrate our own version of Valentine's day a few days later usually when the madness has gone down, restaurants gone back to normal menus rather than themed ones and one does not feel like one is being swept along this mass of enforced romance.

Our Valentine's day I suspect Hubby will take me to one of our special Country House Hotel Restaurant and we might catch a play or Jazz concert. I love an excuse to dress up a bit but February the 14th has little to do with romance . Romance is lovely but it should not be so stilted , I always feel like a number if we go out on the 14th.

It is usually the only time I see men buying flowers for their wives or intending on taking them out which I find sad, restaurants try to squeeze all the money they can out of you with themed concoctions and more tables , and so many couples just stare into space because they are not really used to being with one another... It usually depresses me.

We went to Glasgow's most expensive and "posh" restaurant years ago for Valentine's and it was one of the most depressing evening of my entire life. All the blokes obviously did not want to be there and kept answering their cell phones whilst the women looked wistfully on looking bored and no doubt feeling ignored despite being dressed up the nines. The food was appalling ( even though I was told it usually is truly excellent, the service even worse , so bad we ended up leaving no tip and left before dessert).

I felt I was in some bad comedy sketch. And appalled Hubby had paid over $200 for the privilege. We have tried sporadically the Valentine's day experience and have given up.

I got Hubby a nice non Valentine's card ( I hate cards with pre-printed messages on the whole) and two collectible books he loved as a kid and always wanted to own as his mother threw his away.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,835 times
I will be doing absolutely nothing but going to work on that day.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Wake up early, drive to school, do school stuff, go to the gym, go home and do some homework and relax. Not too bad.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
I'll be helping my son make valentines cards for his classmates this weekend. We'll probably hang out on Monday night and have a movie night or something.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
We're going to Mortons. They're doing the regular menu and are not adding seating (hate when they do that!) so we're going for your typical dress up and eat steak dinner. I can't wait!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I know I'm spending it without my immediate boss, which makes it a beautiful day!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know I'm spending it without my immediate boss, which makes it a beautiful day!
Lucky you. I actually like my immediate boss but on Monday we have one of the head honchos from DC paying us a visit. My office is usually casual but Monday is wear-a-suit-day .

Other than having to dress up for work, my Feb 14th is going to be like any other day, and I couldn't care less that I won't be getting flowers and candy

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I'm not sure yet. I usually make a dinner of shrimp scampi, salad, asparagus, garlic bread and heart shaped brownie sundaes. The rodeo is in town, though, and I'm thinking that may be a good night to go and that it won't be too crowded. I'm sure the kids would have a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships