Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

To me, there are only two questions:

1) Can he pay his way in life?
2) What does he do with his free time?

If he's paying his bills, then more power to him. To me, the bigger question is how he chooses to spend his extra time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To me, the bigger question is how he chooses to spend his extra time.
That would be mine too. If he spends it drinking or watching TV--eh. If he spends it learning new things or pursuing a fascinating hobby--very attractive.

I'm also thinking that corporate America should be careful b/c people might decide they like a schedule like that and actually demand it.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
its not like hes only working part time at a gas station for $7/ hr and playing WoW the rest of the time...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Regular Guy View Post
What would you think of a 38 year old man in the peak of his career who only wanted to work 3 days a week and spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday basically kicking back and taking it easy? Would his leisurely work schedule make him less attractive when you are working 40 hours plus?
No, not really.

Money isn't everything, but he has to pull his weight. As long as he's bringing in .50 on the dollar.

I don't want to come home to a filthy house
I want my dinner ready
Pick up dry cleaning

Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
My brother makes good money in an important job in corporate America. He was always popular with the ladies partially because he made such good money and was so successful in his career. But now the company he works for is having some difficult times and has offered him the chance to go to part time three days a week, 8 hours a day, 24 hours a week with a thirty percent pay cut. He is seriously thinking about it and wants to kick back and relax on his two new days of freedom (Thursday and Friday).

He makes good money and will easily be able to survvive with his possible new pay cut.

What would you think of a 38 year old man in the peak of his career who only wanted to work 3 days a week and spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday basically kicking back and taking it easy? Would his leisurely work schedule make him less attractive when you are working 40 hours plus?
This is such a odd question. Why should he (a MAN at 38) care what women think of him if he works less hours at work.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Why do you care? I also think more power to him if he can still make good money doing parttime work. Who makes the rules that says you have to work a certain time, certain company, certain career, etc.?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
It would make him look like his priorities are in the right place to me. Even though I love my job and am successful at it, I don't want to work as hard as I am right now forever. It seems like many Americans work, work, work, and then when they finally get to retire or slow down they are too old to enjoy it. We miss a lot of life by working so much.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
It seems like many Americans work, work, work, and then when they finally get to retire or slow down they are too old to enjoy it. We miss a lot of life by working so much.
So true.. I know of a prominent man who worked, and worked and worked all through his life. He was a director for a large institution.

He had a big house (but he was never home to enjoy it), had a hot wife (never spent much time with her), and had 4 kids (but never was around to see them grow up as I knew his kids) and now that he is retired, all the years of working like a dog took a toll on his brain/body to the point where he is now impaired in his retirement years.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,773 times
Quote:
My brother makes good money in an important job in corporate America. He was always popular with the ladies partially because he made such good money and was so successful in his career. But now the company he works for is having some difficult times and has offered him the chance to go to part time three days a week, 8 hours a day, 24 hours a week with a thirty percent pay cut. He is seriously thinking about it and wants to kick back and relax on his two new days of freedom (Thursday and Friday).

He makes good money and will easily be able to survvive with his possible new pay cut.

That would sound a bit like jealousy to me. If he can support himself and take care of business, it should really be a non-issue.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Depends on how much he makes regardless of total hours. If he made 100k and is now down to 70k, it would probably not be so great. If with the paycut he is still above the 6 figure mark then it's probably okay. Surviving is easy but being able to support a family is harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships