Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times

Advertisements

It would be a dealbreaker for me. No question about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
but those who adamantly oppose any sort of an animal/pet in their home for no real reason rather creep me out
You don't consider the unwillingness to live in filth and stench, not ever being able to get decent sleep (in the case of dogs), and having wrecked furniture, among many other similar joys valid reasons?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You don't consider the unwillingness to live in filth and stench, not ever being able to get decent sleep (in the case of dogs), and having wrecked furniture, among many other similar joys valid reasons?
They are valid reasons to you, but someone that sees animals that way isn't someone I'd be compatible with. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even be friends with them. I don't have one friend who doesn't like animals, and I have no desire to.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
They are valid reasons to you, but someone that sees animals that way isn't someone I'd be compatible with. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even be friends with them. I don't have one friend who doesn't like animals, and I have no desire to.
That's OK, but words like "creeping her out" are a bit too strong IMO.

I personally have no problem with friends who have animals.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
That's OK, but words like "creeping her out" are a bit too strong IMO.

I personally have no problem with friends who have animals.
Fair enough. I personally wouldn't use the words "creep me out", but I know that the odds are good I won't be friends with that person.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have had a bad experience sierraAZ. While, I will grant you that cats do have a bit of a destructive nature, that nature can be managed. There is no reason to have wrecked furniture! (Although, I certainly would not have EXPENSIVE furniture in the house with cats. LOL). But as far as STENCH AND FILTH, there is no reason whatsoever that someone with a pet has to deal with this. Apparently, whomever you knew that had pets that lived in filth and stench, were not very good housekeepers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
You realize those aren't absolutes from having a pet, right?

My dog is hardly filthy or smelly (she's bathed and groomed regularly), and I sleep wonderfully because she chooses to sleep under our bed (weirdo). Honestly, my husband keeps me awake from tossing and turning farrrrrr more often than my dog does! As for wrecked furniture? The only way you can tell the dog has interacted with the sofa is that sometimes there is fur on it--but I vacuum daily (did before the dog anyway), so it's not like if you sit on the couch you'll be covered in hair.

I don't think you'd even be able to tell I had a dog if you walked into my house, except if you saw her toy box and food/water bowls.

I am a dog lover to the core, but I wouldn't want to be with someone who had an animal so untrained that it ruined furniture, or who was so messy and unclean that they let their house stink.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
I have no problem with well trained pets, but I would struggle with a boisterous, untrained dog - especially one with slobber and shedding issues.

We have a tiny, non shedding dog and we trained her as though she was a big dog. She's the happiest little thing and very well behaved. She doesn't bark or chew anything that's not hers. She's just lovely.

I love horses and other outdoor animals and could probably have dealt with a single cat but that's about it.

I have a friend who has a GORGEOUS red setter. She is well trained and stunningly beautiful, but she slobbers like crazy and sheds and they have to cover the sofas to stop them getting destroyed (not the dogs fault, but she leaves marks). I would really struggle to live with a dog like this even though I love her.
I actually can't have her in my house because I just can't manage the mess.

I don't think I would want to be with someone who actively disliked animals, but I could probably live with someone not wanting a pet. I'm lucky that DH and I are on the same page with this and one small, low impact dog works perfectly for us!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM

343 posts, read 524,145 times
Quote:
Send him my way!
I wouldn't do that to you. Turns out, he was a functioning alcoholic and a surgeon to boot! He never drank on the job but once off work, he wouldn't stop drinking until he passed out.

I love animals but would never let them sleep with me. It's not healthy.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Pets/no pets is just another level of compatibility that needs to be addressed as you date. There's nothing inherently wrong with not wanting pets. I'm an animal lover myself, but I can admit they are a lot of work and they do smell at times. If you love them, it's worth it, but just because someone doesn't want pets, I don't think it makes them heartless or cold any more than someone who doesn't want kids or doesn't like motorcycles or doesn't like skiing. It's a personal preference.

I've known people who were extremely loving towards their pets but rather cold and unkind to human family members. I've known very caring, selfless individuals who just weren't wild about animals. I don't think there's always a correlation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships