Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times

Advertisements

There's a woman in my circles. She is very pretty.36ish...slender..chatty..very nice to guys. She's in commercials on TV constantly. I know one guy who committed suicide dating her, another who tried. I've seen handsome well adjusted guys turned into quivering, blubbering masses. As far as I can tell she's really nice to them for a while until they're hooked, then the head starts spinning around, the green puke..you're calling the Vatacan, on hold with the excorcism deptartment.

Older guys and Women try to warn prospects. THEY NEVER, EVER LISTEN! Many say they are aware of her reputation, however...THEY can handle it. They try to say THEY can just keep it on sex and walk away from her at a moments notice. And she just keeps going on.. collecting souls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM

292 posts, read 635,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
What do you think?
Call her, tease her some then invite her to a fun hobby YOU enjoy (miniature golfing, wine tasting, etc). Show her YOUR world. Women find that very sexy! You would be "elevated" to her "league", if you want to think in those terms!

Don't ASK her out in the sense that "would you please consider going out with me blah blah"? Say something like "Hey, I'm going to xxx place. It's a lot of fun. Want to go check it out?"

Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
There's a woman in my circles. She is very pretty.36ish...slender..chatty..very nice to guys. She's in commercials on TV constantly. I know one guy who committed suicide dating her, another who tried. I've seen handsome well adjusted guys turned into quivering, blubbering masses. As far as I can tell she's really nice to them for a while until they're hooked, then the head starts spinning around, the green puke..you're calling the Vatacan, on hold with the excorcism deptartment.

Older guys and Women try to warn prospects. THEY NEVER, EVER LISTEN! Many say they are aware of her reputation, however...THEY can handle it. They try to say THEY can just keep it on sex and walk away from her at a moments notice. And she just keeps going on.. collecting souls.
Sounds like a horrible woman. There are men like that too. Most people never learn. You have to let them do the learning on their own.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
OMG... why would she say yes to a date if she wasn't attracted to you... that is the problem... I've always have guys say..."oh I didn't ask you out because I thought you would say no"... then I sit at home reading a book instead of someone just having the b _ _ _ s to ask me out... Call her and tell her what a great time you had and you would like to see her again... simple.. If she isn't interested, she will say no... none of us like to be rejected but you never know until you ask... Right??

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Just got back from a first date with a girl waaay out my league. She was beautiful, talented, accomplished (she's a professional flutist who has traveled the world), wise, kind, funny, graceful, fun to talk to, and did I mention extraordinarily cute?

She's used to handsome guys who've been all over the world, who are vegans or vegetarians, and who have masters or doctorates in science or music.

We went to the museum's "adult night" -- the theme this time was "the science of love." It was fun. I did a reasonable job of being myself. But when I get in the car, alone, THAT's when the real me, the confident, flamboyant, creative, funny me comes right out. I find my voice is too high and I'm too "nice" and not creative/funny enough in these first date situations. But it wouldn't have mattered with this girl anyway, she's just way out of my league. Needless to say, there won't be a second date.

My question is, is going on these dates with a "9" when you're a "5" on your best day good or bad?
1. You never know what could happen (but usually you do, and it's "nothing")
2. No experience is wasted no matter what it is
3. These experiences can be beneficial to self-confidence and should be embraced
4. These experiences can be detrimental to self-confidence and should be avoided

What do you think?
Did she tell you that she was married.......to Drummer Boy???

Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How'd you score the date in the first place if she's so clearly somebody who'd never be amenable to dating somebody like you?
It was through OKCupid. We only passed a couple of emails before I invited her out to the museum. I would guess I wouldn't have scored the date had she known me ahead of time. I guess I'm glad she agreed to go, because I had a good time and it was fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Sounds like you had every chance to put your best foot forward. If you screw something up due to lack of confidence, then it's really on you...not the girl
Well, I was a bit nervous -- not 100% myself, as I mentioned, but I was more or less satisfied with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
How do you know there's no chance for a second date? Call her up and thank her for her company, then ask to see her again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Anyways, why are you so sure that there won't be a second date. Did she say or imply that, or are you assuming that's the case?
Besides the obvious differences in our levels of accomplishment and genetics, I would say there were clues. The disappointment when I told her what my major was and what I do for a living, when I admitted that I do eat meat sometimes, when I mentioned how little international traveling I've done. Leaving early instead of hanging around or going to get food afterward. The decidedly past-tense way she said "it was nice to have met you."

I will be classy and courteous and thank her for accompanying me. I genuinely had a good time myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
You may find a nice one who won't be rude in her let down but she is defiantly not interested.
I think this is the case. She's definitely a very nice person who wouldn't be rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
What makes you think you are a 5? You shouldn't rate yourself.
I don't go around thinking I'm a number, it's just a convenient proxy for comparing different education levels, aspirations, intellectual levels, genetics etc. The things that made her a "9" weren't limited to her appearance by any means (even though I thought she looked like a delicate and stunning elf).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Not necessarily. You can say someone is out of your league and be correct. If the gap is so great when it comes to background, intelligence and social status that it makes life too awkward, than the other person is out of your league.
Yes.

Anyway, thanks for the varying opinions.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 02-13-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Besides the obvious differences in our levels of accomplishment and genetics, I would say there were clues. The disappointment when I told her what my major was and what I do for a living, when I admitted that I do eat meat sometimes, when I mentioned how little international traveling I've done. Leaving early instead of hanging around or going to get food afterward. The decidedly past-tense way she said "it was nice to have met you."
What's your major? And if she is that strict of a vegetarian that she is visibly deflated at the thought of eating meat, then you weren't a match anyways.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
I like how you're scientifically using excuses why this won't work. Genetics...watching too many Ethan Hawke movies? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/

You admitted you eat meat occasionally. This might make you a vampire in her eyes.

I don't know I'm at a point in my life I've stopped trying for things I cannot have, and focused on what I can have. Libraries are full of books about young men seeing a woman of higher "station" and falling madly in love, and once you leave the youth section, most of them end up tragically.

Last edited by optiflex; 02-13-2011 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What's your major? And if she is that strict of a vegetarian that she is visibly deflated at the thought of eating meat, then you weren't a match anyways.
I have enough credits for two complete bachelor's degrees. I've done a lot of Philosophy, English, Economics, and Finance, but the only degree program I completed was Bachelor's in Finance. A lot of people view a business degree as the default degree of choice for the lowest common denominator, a way to not try very hard, and the refuge of the frat boy.

I think that she is okay with other people eating meat around her sometimes, but that she really sees herself with someone with similar dietary habits. So yes, not a match.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I like how you're scientifically using excuses why this won't work. Genetics...watching too many Ethan Hawke movies? Gattaca (1997) - IMDb
No, I'm saying "genetics" as a proxy for looks, appearance, fine features, etc. But GATTACA is one my top three favorite all time films!!
Quote:
I don't know I'm at a point in my life I've stopped trying for things I cannot have, and focused on what I can have.
Yes, I'm really at that point too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships