Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

How would you describe "having boundaries" in relationships? Have you ever had to adjust or re-set your boundaries with certain people? How did it work out? Did you run into resistance at first?...What made you realize that you didn't have "strong enough boundaries?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
How would you describe "having boundaries" in relationships? Have you ever had to adjust or re-set your boundaries with certain people? How did it work out? Did you run into resistance at first?...What made you realize that you didn't have "strong enough boundaries?"
Well, I had to tell one not to give out her phone number to guys at work! Does that count? lol I love this thread. It gives me a chance to rub in a point of another one. She always was jealous of other women even looking at me. Even a waitress, who was extra nice or giving her the nod of approval. She always felt compelled to have to call to check up on me as well. Are you kiddin'? I'm laying under a car all greasy at my friend's house! It works two ways. At least I always have and will continue to say..... "sorry not available."

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
I think everyone should have an innate sense of boundary . In order to expect most people to know the do's and don'ts, that person has to have a certain level of maturity.

Hence, you have the big mouth clown who alway spouts off where-ever he goes. He has NO sense of boundaries.

So start with a mature person to expect the best results.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think everyone should have an innate sense of boundary . In order to expect most people to know the do's and don'ts, that person has to have a certain level of maturity.

Hence, you have the big mouth clown who alway spouts off where-ever he goes. He has NO sense of boundaries.

A sense of humor is a positive trait, not a bad one. Most men like that in a gal. Some should TRY it more.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

People who talk loudly on their cell phones out in public don't seem to have a clear-cut sense of boundaries!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
Well, I had to tell one not to give out her phone number to guys at work! Does that count? lol I love this thread. It gives me a chance to rub in a point of another one. She always was jealous of other women even looking at me. Even a waitress, who was extra nice or giving her the nod of approval. She always felt compelled to have to call to check up on me as well. Are you kiddin'? I'm laying under a car all greasy at my friend's house! It works two ways. At least I always have and will continue to say..... "sorry not available."
Sorry for all you went through...

Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Sorry for all you went through...
It's even funnier when her Dad called me repeatedly and practically begged me to take her back. If her old man likes you, that is usually a good sign. He understood why I didn't though and was embarrassed about his daughter's two-timing behavior. I've moved on since.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM

My husband and I didn't "bother" each other when we were out in the world "doing stuff" by ourselves. We wanted to give each other "space." We'd contact each other if there was an emergency or to say that we'd be back later than expected etc...We didn't "pester" each other with non-stop phone calls or texts. It was important to give each other "personal space." Neither one of us wanted to feel that we were on a "leash" even though we were close and best friends.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
not quite sure what you mean by "boundaries"... sexual... ?? cell phone usage...??? don't go into my dresser...??? hmmmm... never had anyone give me rules or boundaries... if unspoken/ or written boundaries then how would one know what those boundaries are??? Just an inquiry

Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I don't understand the concept of setting and resetting boundries in a relationship.

My bounderies are the bare minimum requirement of behaviour I will accept. They don't really change. If those boundaries are crossed the person is removed from my life. But they are not frivilous, they include the basics like honestly, fidelity, etc.

Resistance is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships