Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:19 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times

Advertisements

Have you recently gained weight and noticed that you were treated different? For example, you have worked at your job for 10 years but in the last year or so you may have put on 25 pounds or more, and all of a sudden, your review score isn't as high as it once was, you are passed over for promotions, no one tells you how nice you look or compliments a new outfit, and your boss doesn't take as much notice of you and doesn't chat friendly with you as he/she once did. Has anyone experienced this treatment by your boss and co-workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Yes when I gained weight with my pregnancies it always took a little longer than I would have liked to loose it. But I realized that it wasn't really about the weight, it was about how I carried myself. My self-esteem was negatively affected and therefore I was not my vibrant self. Even now that I'm a little "juicier" than I usually am I don't see a difference on how people treat me because I feel good about myself regardless.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:38 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yes when I gained weight with my pregnancies it always took a little longer than I would have liked to loose it. But I realized that it wasn't really about the weight, it was about how I carried myself. My self-esteem was negatively affected and therefore I was not my vibrant self. Even now that I'm a little "juicier" than I usually am I don't see a difference on how people treat me because I feel good about myself regardless.
Good point. It does have a lot to do with self-perception.

I have noticed that a lot of people are more forgiving of women gaining with pregnancy or not losing weight soon enough right after pregnancy than they are with women or men who gain weight for "no reason". It seems that people who are overweight are seen as less energetic and less intelligent than their slimmer counterparts... IMHO.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,379 times
I had just the opposite happen to me. I recently have lost 52 lbs. and people talk to me and smile at me who never did before. It makes me angry to have people notice me who would walk right over the top of me before. I am not a different person. It isn't even just the men. It's the women too.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I had just the opposite happen to me. I recently have lost 52 lbs. and people talk to me and smile at me who never did before. It makes me angry to have people notice me who would walk right over the top of me before. I am not a different person. It isn't even just the men. It's the women too.
Interesting. Well now you know who is "real" and who is your friend on certain conditions.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:14 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Wow, Northcountrygirl, congratulations on losing that much! I can't even manage to lose 25 pounds.

Actually, it is amazing how "invisible" overweight people are in this country. Considering that 14 is the average size now, that attitude is wrong.

To answer the original question, I don't notice anyone treating me differently, but that's because I gained weight very slowly (and am losing it very slowly as well ), and it wasn't a vast amount - 30 lbs over a period of about 5 years, I think.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I haven't gained any wieght but i bought a cool hat a few weeks ago and it seems people are saying hi to me a lot more than they did before.
I'm 20 pounds over what i think I should be, I never notice anyone treating me differant.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:33 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Oh YES!!!! I have always been thin. When I got married I started to gain weight (I gained 60 pounds). Anyways, I lost all of the weight last year. But during my heavy size I noticed that people treated me differently. Especially the men (big time). Like, less doors being opened for me. Maybe they don't say excuse me. Stuff like that. You are definitely treated differently. It's pretty interesting.

I saw a couple of shows on this. Where they have beautiful women dress up in fat suits and it is shocking to see how they are treated compared to when they are normal.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

20 posts, read 99,275 times
I strongly agree with Moonsavvy. It is about the way you carry yourself and not really about the weight. I have experienced it, if my attitude is poor I dont feel people giving me attention, the minute i turn my attitude around and feel like a queen, i am treated like one.
just my opinion though!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Those people who gravitate toward you now, I would say, they have a great big neon sign on their forheads that say "BEWARE"

Honey, you are beautiful regardless of what you look like....you are a very special person in your own being....always remember that...

Hugs to ya...
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships